Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery dead after 9 week lockdown

Good morning, as expected after being isolated for 9 weeks the Battery on my 2001 GS300 is completely dead. The Battery is to flat to carry out the system reset by turning the ignition on for 6 minutes prior to attempting to start the engine, therefore as soon as jump leads are connected between mine and my neighbours cars the alarm bursts into full volume. I have ordered a Battery charger from amazon, if I were to hook that up with the ignition on would that gradually reset the system without setting off the alarm? Alternatively is there another procedure I could follow. Kind regards Robert

Have you ordered a smart charger such as Cetek? Whatever, don't try and charge with the ignition on - for one thing, you shouldn't have the ignition on for long periods without the engine running (it can damage the ignition electronics) and for another it will just take longer to charge the Battery.

A smart charger should tell you if the Battery is retrievable - if it is, just follow the charging instructions. If it isn't buy a new Battery and drive the car  a few miles at least once a week

• Like 1

PS - if you are getting a standard (non-smart) charger, take the Battery to someone who can test it for you - maybe there is  a local garage with a Battery tester open, or most car accessory shops will do it for free, but I guess they are still closed.

Hi John thank you for your reply this the discription of the charger which should be arriving today 12V 24V 3-Stage Automatic Trickle Battery Charger Maintainer with LCD Screen UK Plug for Cars Motorcycles Boat

Quite a few different ones come up with very similar descriptions when I search amazon for that, but they all look pretty similar under the skin. I guess it will do the job as a smart charger - but are you sure you'll be getting it today? They all look to have rather long delivery times!

You could probably find a local garage to charge the Battery for you in the meantime, if you can get the Battery to them.

Assuming your back up and running now, if not, best option if the Battery is totally flat, i guess would be to remove it and charge it.  I just bought mine and they had the jump it at the garage as it had stood there before my test drive. The alarm sounded for a few seconds then it cleared.

I bought this one. Sounds similar

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Amp-Intelligent-Car-Battery-Charger-Pulse-Repair-Starter-12V-24V-AGM-GEL-UK/254306059245?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Worked great on my dead Battery. No lights or dash lights. Put on charge late afternoon and charged up overnight, ready to re install the next morning. Started great and a good price. I paid £21.73 so price increased.

James.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links