Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 2013 gs450h Premier is a fab car. So good that I am considering upgrading to the facelift. 

There are only 78 gs450h premier from 2016-18, with 1-3 available at any one time.
Facelift has more safety features: Traffic sign recognition, Adaptive cruise control/Pre-crash safety, Lane keep assist, Adaptive high beam, Rear cross traffic alert, LED headlamps.
Different seat trim, updated multimedia system and stiffened body with 'tuned' suspension steering and brakes, head up display.

I was wondering is there any perceptible difference in the way the facelift drives, or the multimedia system functions? I imagine the seats would be pretty much identical?

I suspect they drive the same. As you so rightly say very rare in Premier spec. 

My pre face-lift Luxury was better equipped than the post face-lift cars. It had rear cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring which was deleted on the later cars. If the Premier has ML I think it will be as the earlier version. My luxury had ML and premium navigation. Head up display is good if its the same colour version as my RX

• Like 1

Back to back you may be able to tell a difference in the chassis stiffness going fast around bends or over potholes but wait a hour or two between drives and I'm not sure how much difference you could tell. As you have stated the facelift was mainly cosmetic and the added safety features. The nav systems are quite similar, maybe a little faster and allows full screen map which I don't think was possible pre-facelift on the 12.3" screen.

There are probably quite a lot of other tweaks that don't get mentioned in the brochures or press releases but all relatively minor.

HUD is a big plus as Les has mentioned. It is the colour one.

It seems to me that Lexus (and toyota) tend to apply rolling updates to vehicles as they go, rather than saving up a chunk of stuff for facelift time. I've been watching a lot of youtube stuff lately, and they've applied rolling updates to Supra and LC500 as they've been going. I've seen instances of that with the GS as well. 

Our GS is a 2015 pre-facelift Premier, with all options (Sunroof, LED headlamps, PCS/ACC/LKA). There are noticeable differences to 2012/2013 GS that we test drove:

Ours has HUD. 
Ours has a newer nav system (identified by having the mSD card flap where the Mark Levinson logo is, and the right-hand screen panel having 3 tabs,  not 4), but not full-screen nav as per facelift (but uses the same map mSD card)
Subjectively (and would need to try back-to-back to be more certain) ours seems to ride a bit more smoothly than the 2012 cars (GS450h Premier, GS250 luxury) that we previously test drove (and this is in line with the suspension tweaking that has gone on with the LC500 - newer cars are a bit smoother than the first couple of years).

In other words, things like the stiffened body shell and tuned suspension may have occurred before the facelift, just as things like HUD and the new nav hardware did (although as I said, the pre-facelift still runs split-screen software). Don't necessarily limit yourself only to facelift cars if the ride and hud are your key features. 

No Pre-facelift got matrix adaptive beam headlamps (ours has active high beam and active turning(although the width of illumination they provide makes that totally irrelevant) but not matrix), full-screen nav or traffic sign recognition. 

For example, here's a later Pre-facelift with ACC/PCS/LKA, sunroof, HUD, etc: https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/Gs-Saloon/450h-35-Premier-With-ACCPCS-With-Sunroof-r1capjh but would need to see pictures to tell if it has the LED headlamps (description doesn't say) .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, i-s said:

It seems to me that Lexus (and toyota) tend to apply rolling updates to vehicles as they go, rather than saving up a chunk of stuff for facelift time. I've been watching a lot of youtube stuff lately, and they've applied rolling updates to Supra and LC500 as they've been going. I've seen instances of that with the GS as well. 

Our GS is a 2015 pre-facelift Premier, with all options (Sunroof, LED headlamps, PCS/ACC/LKA). There are noticeable differences to 2012/2013 GS that we test drove:

Ours has HUD. 
Ours has a newer nav system (identified by having the mSD card flap where the Mark Levinson logo is, and the right-hand screen panel having 3 tabs,  not 4), but not full-screen nav as per facelift (but uses the same map mSD card)
Subjectively (and would need to try back-to-back to be more certain) ours seems to ride a bit more smoothly than the 2012 cars (GS450h Premier, GS250 luxury) that we previously test drove (and this is in line with the suspension tweaking that has gone on with the LC500 - newer cars are a bit smoother than the first couple of years).

In other words, things like the stiffened body shell and tuned suspension may have occurred before the facelift, just as things like HUD and the new nav hardware did (although as I said, the pre-facelift still runs split-screen software). Don't necessarily limit yourself only to facelift cars if the ride and hud are your key features. 

No Pre-facelift got matrix adaptive beam headlamps (ours has active high beam and active turning(although the width of illumination they provide makes that totally irrelevant) but not matrix), full-screen nav or traffic sign recognition. 

For example, here's a later Pre-facelift with ACC/PCS/LKA, sunroof, HUD, etc: https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/Gs-Saloon/450h-35-Premier-With-ACCPCS-With-Sunroof-r1capjh but would need to see pictures to tell if it has the LED headlamps (description doesn't say) .

I wasn’t aware that any facelift UK GS came with matrix headlights. I thought that the triple beam lights were just a full LED fixed unit. 

Since these cars have GPS, what a shame that they use the ordinary speedo drive for the HUD speed display, rather than GPS. The analogue speedo and HUD read a couple of mph slow at 30 mph and no doubt similar inaccuracies higher speeds.

I have an aftermarket GPS HUD speedometer in my '92 MX-5. It is dead accurate - or at least reads exactly the same as other GPS devices (TomTom, phone etc) and roadside speed indicators. It's switchable between MPH and KPH as well. (As is the Lexus one, but still inaccurate)

It's entirely possible that they didn't. I have seen video of matrix on a facelift GS, and made the possibly incorrect connection that facelift full LED = matrix. 

It's nothing like as fancy in terms of the number of matrix elements as Audi or Mercedes use, but it is there. However, it's possible that it's a european spec and not UK spec thing. I do not know. All I do know is that even the full-LED setup on pre-facelift cars doesn't have matrix functionality. 

On 5/20/2020 at 12:45 PM, i-s said:

Toyota (including Lexus badged vehicles) have many more changes on a facelift compared to the yearly tweaks. 

On 5/21/2020 at 9:20 AM, i-s said:

It's nothing like as fancy in terms of the number of matrix elements as Audi or Mercedes use, but it is there. However, it's possible that it's a european spec and not UK spec thing. I do not know. All I do know is that even the full-LED setup on pre-facelift cars doesn't have matrix functionality. 

It isn't a matrix, it is adaptive with shutters that are analogue and therefore more variable than a matrix system. It is fitted to UK face-lift F Sport, Premier and F models.

This blog post lists most of the face-lift changes.

https://blog.lexus.co.uk/the-new-2016-lexus-gs/

• Like 1

I would gladly update mine for a face lifted model, I checked the prices and at the moment it is too high, especially my GS does everything so well and has low (ish) mileage.

Motorbike is the first to be replaced. 🙂

But first of all, lets see where we all will be after Corona! Our company is laying people off, about 40-50% of staff is to go!!! 😞

• Sad 1

I got the same feeling that facelift models right now are too expensive to what extra they offer.

If I could buy 2014 for lets say 15k vs 2016 for 30k I don't see the value here. Yes millage will be lower on 2016 but 2014 won't be too hight either. 

I most probably will look for a replacement next year, if I'll be lucky some LS for under 40 will show up which would be a way better deal that face lift GS for 25 lets say.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Having bought a 2013 Gs450h a couple of years ago, for the last 18 months I have been looking for a facelift model, with sunroof and light interior, preferably in blue.

In the last 18 months 22 facelift GS450h ( of the 77 imported) have appeared, 5 with sunroofs.

Recently one popped up on autotrader, I rang the number, but the vendor had just sold it to Lexus Stoke. I rang Lexus Stoke and put a deposit on the car which had yet to arrive there.

New tyres (cross-climates at my request,) and new windscreen were fitted (original had defect,) and car delivered after inspection and test drive. My previous car is now on their fore-court. (Ensure the 100k service is performed before buying.) The only warranty work recorded on new car was a clip on a rear sun blind!

New car is great, it is blue, ivory interior and registered May 2018, so one of the last ones, as in April 2018 Lexus announced the ceasing of GS imports.

It has all available extras; metallic paint, protection pack, 19” wheels, sunroof and tow-bar (unused.) I will post pictures later.

I have listed the differences between the pre and post face-lift cars. 

Face lift has the Lexus Safety System +

- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)

- Pre-Crash Safety system (PCS)

- Lane Keep Assist (LKA)

- Sway Warning

- Traffic Signal Recognition (TSR)

- Automatic High Beam system

Facelift has Blind spot BSM and rear cross traffic alert RCTA, Pre-face-lift only has Blind spot indicator.

Head-up display. Great feature. This became available in around 2015 in the GS as I think an optional extra. It is standard in the facelift.

Headlights.

Facelift has 3 Eye LED headlamps with AHS (Adaptive High-beam System)

Pre face lift has headlights that point toward direction of steering, but do not blank out light to other road users on full beam.

Interior.

Facelift analogue clock is automatically set by GPS or similar which is handy whereas pre-facelift car is manually set.

Main display is split screen so two different items may be displayed, Sat Nav is updated, though there appears to be no speed limit display or recognition on the sat nav that I can find.

Steering wheel display is much more comprehensive, the LSS+ features can be set here.

Heated steering wheel with wood rim in facelift, compared with full leather no heating in older car.

Display controls in front of armrest are more comprehensive and better.

Rear camera picture quality is markedly improved in facelift.

Seat patterns are slightly different but the seats feel and adjust the same. In the facelift I have set the seat heating so it come on when the car starts and stays on at 3 bars, features I could not do in previous car.

Driving; comparing a 25k newer car with a 80k older car. 

The steering on the facelift is much more direct and not at all vague. The suspension is much better, with fewer crashes in potholes and none of the very slight swaying in older car.

I would have thought the engine and transmission are pretty much identical, and the consumption figures so far a very similar (about 40mpg in summer.)

Drive mode for facelift includes the ‘customise’ setting where you can specify desired throttle response, suspension and eco/normal aircon settings.

I was worried that the ride would be harsh on the 19” wheels compared to the older car’s 18” wheels, but it is fine.

Overall the facelift is a better car due to the improved steering, suspension, LSS+ features and displays. 

The numbers of GS450h registered and their colours are listed below (I know there has been debate over accuracy of these type of figures.)

Black

2016 6

2017 4 

2018 3 

Blue

2016 8 

2017 3 

2018 7 

Brown

2016 1

Grey

2016 5 

2017 2

2018 1

Red

2016 7 

2017 6 

Silver

2016 5  

2017 4 

2018 10 

White

2016 4 

2017 1 

77 total (number sold since feb 20.)

2016 36 (10)

2017 20 (7)

2018 21 (6)

Total.    (22) (5 with sunroof)

F sport:

Black

2016 4

2017 5

Blue 

2016 2

2017 2

2018 1

Grey

2016 2

2017 1

Red

2017 1

Silver

2016 1

2017 1

2018 2

White 

2017 1

2018 1

Total

Numbers of GS450h registered in the USA.

2016   70

2017  50

2018   40

2019 7