Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need some advance guys

Hey Guys

need to pick your brains, went into Lexus today to have a hybrid Battery check. The conclusion was they where unable to complete the check and said I need to drive another 500 miles. Does this sound right? She asked if I had any warning lights on and that codes have been wiped. 
Also regarding the picture, is water ingress covered on the extended warranty. They said not but I thought it would of been.

thanks

Hi Howard,

How long have you had the RX and where did you buy it from?

I think that the Lexus Extended Warranty only covers you for Mechanical or Electrical failure of specific parts.

See this   https://www.easternwestern.co.uk/lexus/servicing/downloads/Terms-and-Conditions-Lexus-Extended-Warranty-for-Vehicle_tcm-3066-458631.pdf

• Like 1

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

Hi Howard,

How long have you had the RX and where did you buy it from?

I think that the Lexus Extended Warranty only covers you for Mechanical or Electrical failure of specific parts.

See this   https://www.easternwestern.co.uk/lexus/servicing/downloads/Terms-and-Conditions-Lexus-Extended-Warranty-for-Vehicle_tcm-3066-458631.pdf

Ye I figured as much, typical.

i bought it from Avalon Autos in Chesterfield, it came with a 3 month warranty. I’ve got no warning lights coming up so I can’t really say anything.

10 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

It covers you for all parts that aren't explicitly excluded. Lights are not excluded and therefore should be covered unless physically damaged.

bulbs, which are considered consumables, are not covered.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hprice1099 said:

Ye I figured as much, typical.

i bought it from Avalon Autos in Chesterfield, it came with a 3 month warranty. I’ve got no warning lights coming up so I can’t really say anything.

When exactly did you buy it Howard?

12 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

It covers you for all parts that aren't explicitly excluded. Lights are not excluded and therefore should be covered unless physically damaged.

Bulbs, which are considered consumables, are not covered.

Thanks, what would I need to do as Lexus has already declined it under warranty? 
thanks

19 minutes ago, hprice1099 said:

Just under 2 weeks ago

That`s just fine. Dealers are required under Law to be responsible for any significant problem which arises within the first 6 months of ownership.This is called the Statutory Warranty.

The 3 month warranty that came with the car is wholly irrelevant and of no consequence whatsoever.

If you have not done so Howard, then I recommend that you read the reviews of Avalon Autos here.https://www.cardealerreviews.co.uk/dealership/avalon-autos-chesterfield-derbyshire-england

When you have done so you will realise that they are a mixed bag but on the whole largely satisfactory.

Then you have to contact Avalon in writing (email will do fine as you will retain a copy of what you send) to explain to them in detail your concerns about the car and what you expect them to do about it. If the reviews you have read are to be believed,they will act reasonably as they wish you to be a satisfied customer and give them a positive review.

So, what are the problems which you need to have addressed?

From your initial post I conclude that that;

1. You have water entering the vehicle and causing damage to one of your headlamps?

2. You have reason to believe that error messages/ codes have been deleted (which is why Lexus Liverpool/Chester/ Stockport or Bolton ?) want you drive 500 miles ,so that they can read the codes which may then appear.

3. Anything else Howard ?

My advice is that you ask your Lexus Dealer as soon as possible  to carry out an examination of the vehicle and provide in writing their observations to you. You may have to drive 500 miles promptly in order for them to be able to perform the testing---but you have the balance of 6 months available so you do not have to drive the 500 miles immediately.

Having received the written report from Lexus you then submit it to Avalon Autos with a request that they put your RX into the condition it should have been in when sold to you. They must bear the cost of rectification.

Should they be unwilling, you will return the car to them and receive your money back or you will submit a claim against them via the small claims track of the Courts.

There is much for you to consider,but all is not lost.Time is on your side but you must not delay matters.

Please keep us all informed of your progress.

Regards

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, hprice1099 said:

Thanks, what would I need to do as Lexus has already declined it under warranty? 
thanks

I'm puzzled. 

You didn't buy the car from a Lexus Dealership and yet you are talking about Lexus declining a warranty claim for the light. 

A Lexus Approved used car warranty is of 12 months duration normally. 

Has your car got a third party or dealer warranty? 

Love to know the answer. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Which he definitely won't have as he didn't buy from a Lexus dealership.

I'm also confused and intrigued by this, so I look forward to Howard's reply although, as John says above, he's well within the time period for the seller to put things right.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

That`s just fine. Dealers are required under Law to be responsible for any significant problem which arises within the first 6 months of ownership.This is called the Statutory Warranty.

The 3 month warranty that came with the car is wholly irrelevant and of no consequence whatsoever.

If you have not done so Howard, then I recommend that you read the reviews of Avalon Autos here.https://www.cardealerreviews.co.uk/dealership/avalon-autos-chesterfield-derbyshire-england

When you have done so you will realise that they are a mixed bag but on the whole largely satisfactory.

Then you have to contact Avalon in writing (email will do fine as you will retain a copy of what you send) to explain to them in detail your concerns about the car and what you expect them to do about it. If the reviews you have read are to be believed,they will act reasonably as they wish you to be a satisfied customer and give them a positive review.

So, what are the problems which you need to have addressed?

From your initial post I conclude that that;

1. You have water entering the vehicle and causing damage to one of your headlamps?

2. You have reason to believe that error messages/ codes have been deleted (which is why Lexus Liverpool/Chester/ Stockport or Bolton ?) want you drive 500 miles ,so that they can read the codes which may then appear.

3. Anything else Howard ?

My advice is that you ask your Lexus Dealer as soon as possible  to carry out an examination of the vehicle and provide in writing their observations to you. You may have to drive 500 miles promptly in order for them to be able to perform the testing---but you have the balance of 6 months available so you do not have to drive the 500 miles immediately.

Having received the written report from Lexus you then submit it to Avalon Autos with a request that they put your RX into the condition it should have been in when sold to you. They must bear the cost of rectification.

Should they be unwilling, you will return the car to them and receive your money back or you will submit a claim against them via the small claims track of the Courts.

There is much for you to consider,but all is not lost.Time is on your side but you must not delay matters.

Please keep us all informed of your progress.

Regards

John

Morning John,

Thanks for your input mate, much appreciated,

1, Yes i havn't looked in detail but its causing a brown rust.

2, Yes Lexus Liverpool said codes have been deleted, what codes i don't know as there are no error messeges.

3, A winning lottery ticket lol

7 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

I'm puzzled. 

You didn't buy the car from a Lexus Dealership and yet you are talking about Lexus declining a warranty claim for the light. 

Has your car got a third party or dealer warranty? 

Love to know the answer. 

Its a Dealer warranty, I bought it online with Lexuspartsdirect as the dealerships where closed. So it has an active 2 year warranty with Lexus.

5 hours ago, Herbie said:

Which he definitely won't have as he didn't buy from a Lexus dealership.

I'm also confused and intrigued by this, so I look forward to Howard's reply although, as John says above, he's well within the time period for the seller to put things right.

Its a Dealer warranty, I bought it online with Lexuspartsdirect as the dealerships where closed. So it has an active 2 year warranty with Lexus.

3 hours ago, hprice1099 said:

Morning Howard,

For the avoidance of doubt and misunderstanding your grievance is with Avalon and nobody else.

I have given you my advice and do not wish to change it.

What I would like to know however is;

1. The reg. no. of your RX and

2. Whether you have received positive confirmation from Lexus that your Extended Warranty is indeed is in force.

Regards

John

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Morning Howard,

For the avoidance of doubt and misunderstanding your grievance is with Avalon and nobody else.

I have given you my advice and do not wish to change it.

What I would like to know however is;

1. The reg. no. of your RX and

2. Whether you have received positive confirmation from Lexus that your Extended Warranty is indeed is in force.

Regards

John

Hi John,

Yes the reg is LB60OAL, yes the warranty is active. I've attached the sheet sent to me from Lexus with the rejection regarding the fog light.

Thanks

H

Lexus.docx

Howard, sorry my friend but that Word document is far too small to read - can you scan it as either a pdf or a jpg?

First of all, I can see the reasoning of the warranty people to reject the claim because to cause such discolouration I would think that this could be an existing fault that was present before you took out the warranty.

Secondly, I'm still not convinced (partly because I can't read the document as it's so small) that you have a Lexus Extended Warranty in the sense that some of us on here have.

It's been mentioned in these forums a few times that even if your car was bought from some small trader rather than a Lexus main dealership, you can take out the Extended Warranty but it's conditional on a thorough inspection by Lexus Technicians beforehand - only if they are happy with the car can you then go on to get the warranty. That doesn't seem to have happened in your case so it's very confusing.

Finally, having said all that, remember what John said above - your dealings should purely be with Avalon Autos given that you've only had the car for a couple of weeks. It's their responsibility to right any wrongs.

• Like 1

Thanks Howard, most illuminating.

Did the RX have a full service history with Lexus prior to your purchase? 

If yes, I can understand why your email application for Extended Warranty was accepted.

If No, then I cannot understand why it was accepted.

The fact of the matter is that you have documented evidence of the RX now being covered by the Lexus Extended Warranty.(EW)

It is also a fact that for the EW to remain in force you must have future services carried by Lexus.

The EW will not cover items which were deemed to be "existing conditions" and this appears to be the reason why your claim under the EW was rejected.

Your claim should be directed to Avalon, but before you do anything.......have you recognised that the M.O.T. carried out on 31 October 2019 identified 5 Failures and 11 Advisories? Furthermore the retest was carried out the same day and did not identify ANY FAILURES OR ADVISORIES.

Such retests are not usually carried out immediately. and I do realise that the Rules changed to be more severe in May 2018. Whilst I do not accuse anybody of anything, but what I have seen is not the norm.

The M.O.T. Test for 2020 should have been carried out by October but was completed early in February 2020 presumably to give the new owner (you?) a full years certificate.

There could possibly be a number of "pre-existing " faults covered by the issuance of the new M.O.t. Certificates and I would advise you to ask Lexus Liverpool to carry out a full examination of the RX and provide to you in writing its findings.

These findings will then form the basis of your request to Avalon to comply with its Statutory Responsibilites and effect such work as is necessary at its own cost.

If they react positively and responsibly, you will be content, they will fufill their duties, they will receive a good review from you and you can look forward to a good relationship with Lexus Liverpool.

Regards

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Hi John, I hate to question your esteemed knowledge regarding the above before Lexus will give an extended warranty.

My daughter and son in law returned from Qatar a few years ago and need a reliable run about quickly. I found one on eBay an RX400h with over 100,000 miles on the clock. It did not have a full Lexus service history,  in fact after warranty all of the servicing was done at a garage in Birkenhead. However it did have a Lexus used warranty in place which was transferred by Lexus Chester to my son in law, which was confirmed before purchase, and which he subsequently used to correct some faults, cheers, Roger

56 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

Hi John, I hate to question your esteemed knowledge regarding the above before Lexus will give an extended warranty.

My daughter and son in law returned from Qatar a few years ago and need a reliable run about quickly. I found one on eBay an RX400h with over 100,000 miles on the clock. It did not have a full Lexus service history,  in fact after warranty all of the servicing was done at a garage in Birkenhead. However it did have a Lexus used warranty in place which was transferred by Lexus Chester to my son in law, which was confirmed before purchase, and which he subsequently used to correct some faults, cheers, Roger

Thanks Roger.It`s good to know that Lexus do on occasions lower their standards when they deem it appropriate..

5 hours ago, hprice1099 said:

yes the warranty is active. I've attached the sheet sent to me from Lexus with the rejection regarding the fog light.

The webpage you attached is for a company called The Warranty Group.

Is what you have definitely a two-year Extended Warranty from Lexus? If so, perhaps The Warranty Group handles claims for Lexus.

Or is it a two-year warranty from this independent company called The Warranty Group? Perhaps Avalon Autos took out the warranty on your behalf and perhaps you got the impression that it was a Lexus warranty.

I have no experience of claiming on a Lexus extended warranty so I have no idea which is the most likely.

Here's a helpful page from Which? on your rights on faulty goods.

It looks as though you can request a full refund within the first 30 days. After that, as royoftherovers said above, you still have six months to request that any problems are put right.

The Which? webpage  is useful because it includes template letters that you can send.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

.have you recognised that the M.O.T. carried out on 31 October 2019 identified 5 Failures and 11 Advisories? Furthermore the retest was carried out the same day and did not identify ANY FAILURES OR ADVISORIES.

wow, this sure looks a bit dubious and worthy of some investigation for sure

those 8 miles covered in between the two MOTs might be telling though, the car went to a proper repair place and fixed all the issues  ..............  I see pink elephants occassionally too

Malc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

If yes, I can understand why your email application for Extended Warranty was accepted.

If No, then I cannot understand why it was accepted.

The fact of the matter is that you have documented evidence of the RX now being covered by the Lexus Extended Warranty.(EW)

It is also a fact that for the EW to remain in force you must have future services carried by Lexus.

The EW will not cover items which were deemed to be "existing conditions" and this appears to be the reason why your claim under the EW was rejected.

Your claim should be directed to Avalon, but before you do anything.......have you recognised that the M.O.T. carried out on 31 October 2019 identified 5 Failures and 11 Advisories? Furthermore the retest was carried out the same day and did not identify ANY FAILURES OR ADVISORIES.

Such retests are not usually carried out immediately. and I do realise that the Rules changed to be more severe in May 2018. Whilst I do not accuse anybody of anything, but what I have seen is not the norm.

The M.O.T. Test for 2020 should have been carried out by October but was completed early in February 2020 presumably to give the new owner (you?) a full years certificate.

There could possibly be a number of "pre-existing " faults covered by the issuance of the new M.O.t. Certificates and I would advise you to ask Lexus Liverpool to carry out a full examination of the RX and provide to you in writing its findings.

These findings will then form the basis of your request to Avalon to comply with its Statutory Responsibilites and effect such work as is necessary at its own cost.

If they react positively and responsibly, you will be content, they will fufill their duties, they will receive a good review from you and you can look forward to a good relationship with Lexus Liverpool.

Regards

John.

Hi John

Yes it has a full history, the last two where not Lexus. I was told it will need to be serviced by Lexus but I was doing that in any case.

Interesting regarding the MOT, I normally look at this before buying a car but it slipped my mind. Its booked in on Thursday with Lexus to have a report done on any issues, I'll ask them to check the above issues to. To my surprise I'm only being charged £108 for this, the car is in for the whole day as well. Thanks for your input 🙂 

• Like 1