Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What do my spark plugs tell me about my car (with pic)

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

But they only cost £1 each

really  ?  I thought it was usually £1 a set of 4 😊

Malc

• Haha 1

Eeeee by gum, back in my day we just used 2 pieces of wire and a hand cranked magneto to get the spark. The engine only produced 2bhp like, but them were the days eh? :clown::laughing:

• Haha 1

Did you take OBD reading before starting this job?

I imagine with those frightening Spark plug burns/ or no burns,   that you would be getting at least one fault  code? 

Once A Garage changed my plugs in a 230TE Merc and I heard an enormous bang when out driving. One plug had clearly not been tightened and it had hit the Bonnet with force,  making its mark.   Trust no one, unless you are absolutely sure of their competence.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Did you take OBD reading before starting this job?

I imagine with those frightening Spark plug burns/ or no burns,   that you would be getting at least one fault  code? 

Once A Garage changed my plugs in a 230TE Merc and I heard an enormous bang when out driving. One plug had clearly not been tightened and it had hit the Bonnet with force,  making its mark.   Trust no one, unless you are absolutely sure of their competence.

I did, but nothing that hinted to the spark plug condition. 🙂btw: the I used the carista app with wifi reader, so very much a home OBD reading (not professional)

I don't know anything about OBD2 or the readers, though I do have a cheapy Victor Tools Car diagnostic that is no use for my OBD1 Car. 

Frankly,   if someone had showed me those plugs and asked me to guess from what Car they came, not in a million years would I have said an LS460L.    The Gap on some looks way too large and on another almost closed.  Certainly can't be what were fitted to the Car at manufacture.  They'd all match for a start.

What a performance difference you should experience once a new set of correct plugs are fitted. 

Good luck.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:04 AM, Malc said:

even with a starting handle we needed 4 plugs  ?

Malc

One and sixpence for RN9Ys Champion too.....e by gum where’s me feeler gauges gone again 😀

How about my custom made (patent pending) spark plug fitting tool.

Made from an old electricians screwdriver (1000V rating) and 30mm of suitably sized rubber tubing glued onto the screwdriver.

Simply insert plug into other end of tube, drop down the plug tube and start the plug threading, tighten up as much as possible then pull the tool (patent pending) off and tighten to specified torque.

Hi, I’m Victor Kiam...forget the Remington Microscreen that shaves as close as a blade, you need one of these!

Prevents cross threading, gives improved engine performance and 20 MPG better economy. Guaranteed savings or your money back. 😀

896DE3D1-4026-48F2-B914-2FB670A0655C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

I don't know anything about OBD2 or the readers, though I do have a cheapy Victor Tools Car diagnostic that is no use for my OBD1 Car. 

Frankly,   if someone had showed me those plugs and asked me to guess from what Car they came, not in a million years would I have said an LS460L.    The Gap on some looks way too large and on another almost closed.  Certainly can't be what were fitted to the Car at manufacture.  They'd all match for a start.

What a performance difference you should experience once a new set of correct plugs are fitted. 

Good luck.

My thoughts exactly. Can't wait for the first drive. Just need to put everything else back on now (new rad, condenser, air filters, water pump, pulleys etc)

Peter, still find it difficult to believe the state of those plugs at under 130k.  Was tempted to buy a 460SE-L before lock down - well was having discussions on one.

I looked at your Car history and nothing seems to explain. Did you get Service history with the Car?  Any Main dealer? Garage bills?

Be good to know who to avoid!

Strange that there was no MOT for 2012.  Between 2011 and 2013 it covered 24k miles.  A DVLC record error presumably.

Previous owner not a meticulous Lexus man or near bald front and rear tyre would have been changed rather than driving 9k miles on them.  Curious, have you got odd tyres on the Car? It usually follows. 

Plenty to do to get it up to standard. Keep plugging away at it.

On 5/29/2020 at 9:53 AM, runsgrateasanut said:

Peter, still find it difficult to believe the state of those plugs at under 130k.  Was tempted to buy a 460SE-L before lock down - well was having discussions on one.

I looked at your Car history and nothing seems to explain. Did you get Service history with the Car?  Any Main dealer? Garage bills?

Be good to know who to avoid!

Strange that there was no MOT for 2012.  Between 2011 and 2013 it covered 24k miles.  A DVLC record error presumably.

Previous owner not a meticulous Lexus man or near bald front and rear tyre would have been changed rather than driving 9k miles on them.  Curious, have you got odd tyres on the Car? It usually follows. 

Plenty to do to get it up to standard. Keep plugging away at it.

All tyres are the same, Dunlop Sport SP01A, manufactured 48th week 2016, 245/45 ZR19. I've got a stack of paperwork, going though at the moment to piece together the history of as much as poss. Enjoying getting everything up to standard to date. Thought this summer would be a chance to finally get to work on my project car (MX-5), at the moment it's looking more like Lexus-stravaganza 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The issue with the plug exterior oiling up is the spark plug tube seal on that cylinder. Its a common issue. Part 11193-38020 x 4 per side. They are only €2 or €3 each from Amayama.com. Worth checking inside each tube for any oil when you are doing spark plug replacement. After you remove the coil pack but before you remove the plug take a photo with your camera phone "down the tube". You will see the plug surrounded by oil and then its replacement time for the seal. Worst case this may cause a misfire.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links