Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Concorde Development

Well here’s something different.

Has any member ever been involved in the initial development of Concorde, from the drawing board design, modelling or wind tunnel testing or know anyone involved?

I understand most of this was done by BAE at Filton but despite the www I cannot find a piece of specific information I am in need of.

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Well here’s something different.

Has any member ever been involved in the initial development of Concorde, from the drawing board design, modelling or wind tunnel testing or know anyone involved?

I understand most of this was done by BAE at Filton but despite the www I cannot find a piece of specific information I am in need of.

Not directly, but I’ve got books on Concorde, if you let me know what you’d like to know I can have a look?

Don't know if it could help provide a lead but the prototype Concorde was (and probably still is) at Brooklands where it was refurbished awhile back so they probably sought advice from original sources.  The guy who showed our party over it seemed to know a lot about it.  Maybe if you contacted them somebody could refer you  to somebody who could help you.  Expect lock down may make this difficult for a time.

My late aunt was a senior project manager at BAC and involved in the initial development, which started about 65 years ago so not sure there will be so many people around now to answer your question. I'm still in touch with one of her former colleagues, if  you could indicate your question I may be able to get a pointer?

My father was involved in manufacturing the fuel tanks for the first mock ups and prototypes, work which he also did for the Bristol Britannia. Sadly he never really discussed his work in any  detail with us, especially as I followed him into the aviation industry. Much of his work in the 40's and 50's was classified at the time. I vividly remember him being so very proud when the first prototype was airborne from Filton for the first time. 

Probably better to ask over at pprune (pilots site) they had a VERY long concorde thread a few years back with several folks who designed, worked on and flew Concorde. (along with those of us who were lucky enough to be passengers)

Found the thread (it's a 110 pages) https://www.pprune.org/tech-log/423988-concorde-question.html

Edited by PeterI
Added link

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links