Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MM17 2020 v1 Map Update released

It looks like Lexus have released the 2020 v1 map update this morning.  I've just successfully installed it onto my facelift NX.

This update is for the MM17 entertainment system (the widescreen system on the facelift cars from late 2017 onwards).

The update appears to be covered by the 3 year Map Care system.

497884161_Screenshot2020-05-2013_07_13.thumb.png.9bf079c1d8b3230a91e762f5e394ab00.png

The download is available from the Lexus Tech website.  You will need an account to login (free) but you will not need an active subscription.

Click on 'Owner' then 'Map and Software Updates'.  Then select the MM17 system.  

Important installation instructions and details of the changes made to the mapping data are available in the 'More Info' section (two PDF files to download).

The files to download are access by clicking 'Update'.

Note: the download is around 12GB is size so will take some time.  Once downloaded you will need to unzip it.

Handy hint - before beginning the update in your car, it is a good idea to get the Device ID from the system as you will need this later:

Device ID can be obtained by follow the steps below on the navigation device:

-  Push the “MENU” hard key on the remote Touch pad

-  Select “Setup”

-  Select “Online”

-  Select “Lexus Online”

-  Select “Map Update Information”

You will need a blank USB stick of at least 16GB in size.  It must be formatted as FAT32.  Copy the 'FMU' folder from the ZIP file to the root directory of the USB stick.  I found that I had to delete the two small .log and .txt files from the FMU folder otherwise my car didn't detect the update (never had to do this before, so it was a little strange).  You should therefore have a USB stick which only contains 1 folder (FMU) and inside that you should have 4 ISO files (FMU_PONB7E_x).

From start to finish I found the update took around 70 minutes.  You need to keep the car powered up for the full duration so please make sure it is parked in a safe, well ventilated area.

Once all complete the new version should show in the software update section - this update is only for the mapping data.  The Audio and Navigation software are installed separately.  See my other post.

2020v1.thumb.jpg.26fa06e75a59dc02f33ab64b4484552b.jpg

As always, if in doubt please don't attempt the update.

Thanks

Phil

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Phil

Hope all is well with you during this difficult time. First occasion I have been on the site for months.I had just picked up the map update 2020 Spring was released May 20th( 2019v3) and then saw you had already downloaded

I am not as adventurous as you so I will wait until I can get Lexus onto installing this free map update.

Take care and good to catch up with you again

Tony Withnall

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Phil

My NX is at Lexus Derby for the 2020v1 update.Took it in yesterday and as of 2-00pm to day they have still not downloaded to the USB stick. at close of play yesterday they had 60% download, left it on overnight but the computer switched off. Thus today they have started over again and I believe now they are at 40% download. therefore I can see not being done by close of play.

Bear in mind I booked the vehicle in a week ago. They had not done any preparatory work so only started the download when they got my vehicle.What a shambles.I intend to speak with the manager.

Anyhow Phil after all that can you tell how long it took you to do the download and then how long to upload to your vehicle 

Thanks

Tony

The download from the internet will depend on their internet speed. Shouldn’t take any longer than an hour on a modern connection. I would have thought a main dealer would have a fast connection. 

Copying the 12GB data to a USB stick will depend on a number of factors. Different sticks have many different write speeds. An old USB 2.0 stick could be as low as 3MB/second  which would therefore take 4000 seconds or around 70 minutes. 

It sounds like their USB stick is either very old (reducing write times to much much lower than 3MB/second) or faulty.  Or they are using a really old computer that only has a USB 1.0 connector (unlikely as USB 2.0 came out in 2000)
A faster more modern USB 3.0 stick would take just a few minutes.  I use these sticks

Once on the stick the process in the car takes about 70-80 minutes. 

Clearly something not right - they should really have the USB stick ready in advance. They can be used for multiple installations so it would save time in the long run. 

If it wasn’t lockdown I’d tell you to drive up to J31 of M1 and see me 👍

Good Morning Phil

many thanks for your reply - the download was not finished yesterday as I had anticipated. The problem appears to be that Lexus share a site with Toyota and during the day so many people are trying to access the internet the system, which is antiquated, cannot cope. The service manager left his laptop at work downloading the update and he has just told me it took 6 hours!!!

A technician did the download at home last night and processed in just over an hour which fully supports your comments.The update is at this moment being downloaded to my vehicle.

I have battered them with the detail you gave me and they realise they have to pressure Toyota into updating a fit for purpose system citing my case as a typical example.He fully accepted the poor customer service to which I have been subject and understands the embarrassment of users at home being able to out perform Lexus.

Expect to get the car back later today and trust when the Autumn update comes around they are better equipped to deal with the request.The performance, or lack of, has resulted in my being offered a free first service by way of a sweetener.

Appreciate the sentiment of your suggestion, under different circumstances, of driving up to J31 for your assistance.

Again many thanks - helped me and Lexus enormously

Tony Withnall

• Like 1

So thanks to the above I can now get my up-date with confidence @ Derby but are there any noticeable differences?

My only concerns with my Media Systems is that Virgin DAB radio stations are hit & miss compared with our Aygo in local areas & the NX Speed Camera Alert is too quiet.

I was looking forward to  the Car Play upgrade for our cars but, although apple Maps are the Best Nav System ,they lack speed cameras.

Wase & Google maps are poor compared with apple & some Forum  members download  the Tom Tom Ap & use their Iphone for the radio needs.

My point is my MLS & my Nav should really meet my needs as they always did a few years ago.

Tel

Yes - Lexus derby have the download on a USB and can now install on your vehicle within an hour or so.

Ashley is the Service Manager and the guy to talk to.

If you visit the website "Lexus-Tech.eu" and log onto the map update section you will find a detailed review of 2020v1 and how it has been updated.In the few days since I got my NX returned i have not noticed any difference but in all honesty have not driven any distance.

Tony W

Booked in for Nav Update on Monday next week & to check if there is an upgrade for my MLS.

Have registered with the Lexus-Tech.eu but then realised for the last 21 years any Nav up-date,excluding IS Mk3 Launch, was @ cost whereas this up-date is "free".

I am assuming the Car Play Autumn Up-grade will be free to us which then negates further updates.

Tel

Took c. 2hrs to Up-Date the Nav & my Dash Cam was removed to prevent me being able to see the Technicians tools.

Their computer must be steam driven hence the Cam removal.

Underwhelmed I thanked them for their efforts & vacated the Dealership 

Tel

At least you got it sorted- Lexus/Toyota have a deal of work to do to update their IT facilities which at present does not compliment the Lexus brand.Hope they get it updated before the Autumn update.

Tony

• 1 month later...

I have upload the FMU to a mem stick Start the car and inserted the USB, USB is found but nothings happening? In the menu nothing to find in de update? Have on this moment Version 2019 V1 want to install 2020 V1? Where is going wrong? some suggestions... Thanks in advance

Check the USB stick is formatted as FAT32 and not NTFS. 
Make sure you have unzipped the download  

The stick should only have the FMU folder on it. Inside the FMU folder there should ONLY be four iso files. 

Try a different stick if you have one. 
System should auto detect it once you plug it in. Let the nav system boot up first and remove any other USB devices too. 

USB inserted, finding update, I give activation code. Ok start to update. 1/21 started. On 7/21 MESSAGE "UPDATE GONE"??? I press Ok please insert activation code give the long code again and stay turning with message " Activation code verification" stay turning? 

Yesterday i have call it a day. Today I start the engine and the update continuing till the end.. Thanks a lot for the help you have give me.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd update my maps today. Oddly my navdb_version shows "943" not 2019 V1 or anything. It's a 2018 F-Sport. Anyway when I plug in the USB stick to get the Request Code, it says "Could not be authenticated." rather than providing a Request Code. Any ideas? I don't think I can progress unless I get the Req Code.

20201004_125450.jpg

Sometimes the media system reports the code number (943) rather than the date version. 
Try rebooting the system and looking again. 

Regarding the error message - not one I’ve seen before.  Does the unit detect the update files when you insert the USB stick?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pobrown said:

Sometimes the media system reports the code number (943) rather than the date version. 
Try rebooting the system and looking again. 

Regarding the error message - not one I’ve seen before.  Does the unit detect the update files when you insert the USB stick?

Thanks 🙂

I've looked at the version a number of times. It always says 943. Difficult to say if the unit is seeing the update files because when I insert the USB it thinks for a few seconds and then proclaims it can't authenticate. 🤔

Do you think it's because I didn't delete those other 2 files in the FMU folder? Update: No, it's not that - just retried without the 2 extra txt files.
Have also tried with and without an internet connection. Still no authentication. Don't get it

20201004_152640.jpg

Certainly very strange. 
I would download and unzip the files again and try a different USB stick.  An authentication error could imply file corruption somewhere. 

• Like 1