Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys hope your all well in these difficult times, I’ve been looking into removing air suspension from my 04 rx300 and after doing some research I’ve found that the 1997-2001 Camry strut assembly’s have all the same part numbers including top mount , and I’ve found a set of 4 coil overs for under £200 , what’s your thoughts

I used to work at Toyota building cars and can confirm that around 2000 Toyota moved to a parts globalisation strategy which means that parts from different models/countries can be interchangeable there are some exceptions for eg the door locks on uk cars have a deadlock system where as most other countries didn't. The hardest part is finding the part numbers, I recently bought a cam belt kit for my RX300 from Rock auto but was for a RX330 as the engine was changed in displacement in the U.S all they did for the U.K was globalise the ancillary parts. Same for the handbrake cables. Finding the part numbers is a skill but can be done as you have found out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mylexrx said:

what’s your thoughts

if it's all going to fit and your car is a rust and rot free example then it sounds a blessing  :yes:

Malc

Hi Barry yeah it would , ive noticed that there’s things like rear suspension bushings ,engine parts that are same as Camry , also listed for Toyota solars avalon

Maybe a list of compatible Toyota parts is something that could work out to be worthwhile. I know I got an LED brake light unit from my local Toyota garage after I'd given them the part number. Saved me a lengthy trip to the Lexus dealer and saved a bit of cash too.

Basically for me it's a case of ordering RX330 parts from rockauto in the states as they are uk vat registered you pay no duty and their prices can work out way cheaper a gates cam belt kit including water pump was £150 delivered.Handbrake cables were £60 delivered euro car parts wanted £80 for one.

You have to pay duty, either up front or once in the UK. You either select one of the courier options that calculate all the duty and VAT up front, or you select US postal service and get the Royal Mail wanting payment before they will deliver + an admin fee.

Rock Auto are great though, used them many times and never had a problem + good prices.

30 minutes ago, Mylexrx said:

I’m going to start researching parts across the Toyota / Lexus range and will keep you all updated

And then maybe the fruits of that research Mike might become a "sticky" appearing at the front of the Forums section ?

30 minutes ago, Mylexrx said:

I’m probably being abit thick but what’s a sticky

Sorry Mike, I mean perhaps the MODS can arrange for the finished article to be incorporated as a fixed entry (updated as appropriate) to appear at the front of a suitable Section eg, General Maintenance?  All Members could then refer to it because it would be fixed/sticky/stuck. 

14 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

You have to pay duty, either up front or once in the UK. You either select one of the courier options that calculate all the duty and VAT up front, or you select US postal service and get the Royal Mail wanting payment before they will deliver + an admin fee.

Rock Auto are great though, used them many times and never had a problem + good prices.

It also helps to check your own exchange rates because their conversion to GBP is not always accurate, but like you say their service is superb and they have some good special offers.