Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New SC 430 ownership

ThomasD94

3 minutes ago, ThomasD94 said:

In standard form you can literally creep up on pedestrians in car parks and country lanes and they are shocked to see a car behind them because it is so quiet. 

oh come on now :wink3:

this is a standard feature of the Lexus V8 ......  my ancient Ls400 the same you know .............  like hearing sheep munching grass at a 100mtrs

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Malc said:

this is a standard feature of the Lexus V8 ......  my ancient Ls400 the same you know .............  like hearing sheep munching grass at a 100mtrs

Malc

Not on new V8s though, even Lexus ones. The fuel injectors and pumps are too noisy on modern direct injection engines 😞 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Not on new V8s though, even Lexus ones. The fuel injectors and pumps are too noisy on modern direct injection engines 😞 

The 1UZ was exceptionally quiet. I best buy a new car before Colin puts me off it and I get all nostalgic again.🤣

Probably the dreaded Y section on the exhaust, the Achilles heel of Lexus models.

Lexus SC430....the only car to bear me off the line at traffic lights 😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Probably the dreaded Y section on the exhaust, the Achilles heel of Lexus models.

Lexus SC430....the only car to bear me off the line at traffic lights 😀

With the odd exception, nearly all SC430 drivers are spotty teenagers at heart with a heavy right foot but you would have no trouble slaying me away from the lights. I would be too busy admiring the Celsior.

Interested in the dreaded Y section achilles heel comment, is that a vote for completely separate pipes or a larger merge pipe? Most exhaust theory I've read promotes Y merge, X or H pipe for improved flow, scavenging and balance. 

• Like 1

I think that’s what happened to me I saw the SC and was like a rabbit caught in the headlights, either that or the lights changed prematurely catching me out.

Most LS400 owners have by now experienced the blowing Y pipe problem. With the rest of the exhaust constructed with stainless steel this particular part is not which can result in stress fractures at the circled point. Another issue is the Y Pipe to cat flanges which tend to rot away probably assisted by combustion water accumulation at these points.

This set up is common across all the V8 powered models with later ones fitted only with mild steel systems adding to the rust and rot problems further along the system.

With this section alone costing around £700.00 and no aftermarket alternative available a complete cat back custom SS is a cheaper option. This gives you the choice of either separate systems for each bank or the other configurations you mention.

638666D8-E06E-41A6-A0EF-3D978C72728E.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks Steve. Ah yes, I'm with you now.

I changed the set up on the SC before the rot set in and took the decision to delete the third cat and replace all flanges as it made sense to do it as part of the process.

My old Soarer V8 got the treatment from in front of the cats all the way to the back. It was a great shame to lose the silence but it sounded nice.  As a very expensive science project, the SC still has 2 cats but everything else from the engine to tails is custom.  

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 7:41 PM, Neil E said:

One hidden/secret feature that some like is that it is possible to lower the rear windows with the roof up. Not many know how - but it's possible.

That is a secret I'd love to hear about, along with raising the rear windows with the roof down (which so far as I am aware isn't actually possible, but you may know better).

car plus steam train.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

I give you fair warning, it's the tip of the murky world of modification but as you and Thomas are now part of the inner circle.... follow the instructions on the link below to learn how to control the rear quarter windows. 

There's a method to do it on a temporary basis and there's a link to a clever switch/relay set up to be able to control it fully and more easily. Going pillar-less may look cool but it must take a degree of support and rigidity away from the roof structure, keep that in mind. I'm not sure why it's not possible to have the rear quarters up with the roof down as a standard feature but I've always thought it might have something to do with the rigidity of the glass at high speed with the roof down. That said, i know of a few owners who have frequently enjoyed the feature and report no issues.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/89554-sc430-rear-quarter-windows-mod/ 

It's also possible to set it up with a multi-function aftermarket alarm and at extra cost, remote operation of the roof is possible too.

Next week you'll be asking how to make it go faster.🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ThomasD94 said:

Hey Gents,
I made a short video of my SC430 if anyone wishes to see my new (to me) SC in more detail? 🙂
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9f79IWyLmg&t=0s

Thomas, we now have Venetian Lady amongst us !

What mileage is on your SC ?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Thomas, we now have Venetian Lady amongst us !

What mileage is on your SC ?

Yeah haha!! I tell you it is proving hard to get that cream leather clean!! Just over 130k miles!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Still trying to get to the root cause of the amp/wiring issue.
In the meantime I made a video on the start up of that glorious V8, hope some of you enjoy it. I can't wait to get back on the open road and enjoy some tunes roof down 😄

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links