Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 wanted please

FULLNAME

Hi all (brand new member here)

I am looking for an IS250 to buy with a current budget of 3.5 - 4k.

Preferably less than 70 - 80,000 miles. I'd like a service history that shows regular servicing and either Lexus or independents. (I can make time and have essential tools)

• Would prefer leather interior.
  • Must have either parking radar or camera.
  • Mark Levinson stereo.

I'm in Oxfordshire and will travel national (for a gem) I've been scanning autotrader Gumtree FB and eBay. (I changed my mind about a cheaper 220d after looking for a few weeks)

Thanks in advance..

Jim

Hello Jim and welcome to the LOC.

The IS220d has been subject to some serious engine related problems compared to all other Lexus models, it was along with 200d Lexus’s first and last diesel model. This as you have noticed is reflected in their prices and you are wise to steer clear.

Even though you are a new member I will move this post to our wanted section as it may produce more responses.

Thank you for having me Steve!

I would be an 220d owner by now if it had not been for lockdown. If my patience and continued saving prevails, I will be an is250 owner 3.5-4k+ budget permitting.

You will find something to your liking I'm sure as you are prepared to travel afar, At least this current situation has prevented you from owning prob the worst car ever to wear the badge. You could very well end up with a proper result/bargain due to it. Leather is prob more common than cloth in actual fact for the interior and call me bias but I reckon that black is the 1st choice as it ages well and is easier to maintain ( prob just doesn't show the dirt so easily in all honesty).

note: the ML audio only comes with the MultiMedia system option that will include sat nav/AC controls/phone connectivity/service info/voice control & DVD video play back. For model years/specs check this here.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/lexus/is-2005/

paul m.

39 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Welcome Jim. Good luck with the search. Don't lose patience and compromise on a 200/220d.

Thank you Colin.. Wise words im sure.

I dont want an IS200 id rather a 320d BM my research has turned me away from 220d.

An example on my budget, thoughts?; https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002197485247?advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=4000&radius=1500&postcode=ox263xf&price-from=2500&model=IS 250&make=LEXUS&sort=mileage&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&page=1&modal=custom-social-links

Who knows what with the economy and my saving more £ will bring... Oh and being on the LOC! 🙂

Just had a look at that link you posted for the £4K SE-L and it was looking good, mileage,options,colour............But then I spotted it.....a handbrake lever.........which means........Manual gearbox!    Unless you are dead set on getting a manual gearbox then I along with others on here highly reccomend getting the automatic version, couple of reasons, firstly the RFL or car tax on a manual box IS250 is horrendous compared to the auto that has exactly the same size/power engine, ( have you checked the cost, I think it's £565 for the Manual and £305 for the Auto?) and after all said and done it's a Lexus and I for one want some sort of smoothness when driving and to be 'stirring' gears is gonna take the edge off of that. I highly reccomend you drive both before committing. 

Paul m.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Texas said:

Just had a look at that link you posted for the £4K SE-L and it was looking good, mileage,options,colour............But then I spotted it.....a handbrake lever.........which means........Manual gearbox!    Unless you are dead set on getting a manual gearbox then I along with others on here highly reccomend getting the automatic version, couple of reasons, firstly the RFL or car tax on a manual box IS250 is horrendous compared to the auto that has exactly the same size/power engine, ( have you checked the cost, I think it's £565 for the Manual and £305 for the Auto?) and after all said and done it's a Lexus and I for one want some sort of smoothness when driving and to be 'stirring' gears is gonna take the edge off of that. I highly reccomend you drive both before committing. 

Paul m.

Thank you for your wisdom Paul and I totally agree - ive just seen how much that would be to tax! That being said it does look like a gem and I should be going to test drive it tomorrow 😄

I must add my bit with regard to the IS200d , I have owned this for several years and is on a 11 plate with 131k on the clock and have not had a single problem with this, ok it is not a 220d which was known to have problems but hold on before you knock the 200d. The last couple of years it does local running only with no problems at all... just thought I would get that off my chest and surprised no other 200d owners have piped up about this post... 

51 minutes ago, whiteman said:

I must add my bit with regard to the IS200d , I have owned this for several years and is on a 11 plate with 131k on the clock and have not had a single problem with this, ok it is not a 220d which was known to have problems but hold on before you knock the 200d. The last couple of years it does local running only with no problems at all... just thought I would get that off my chest and surprised no other 200d owners have piped up about this post... 

I felt cheeky doing such a diesel petrol u-turn after a month of looking. I was unaware of a 200d!I? ..I would have been looking alot older than 2011 mind you.

By this time tomorrow it looks like I will be the proud owner of a 250!

• Like 1

If I like it it will be a 133mile drive home. It has been sorn since January other than a foot pump what should I do before driving it? (It has a new battery)

Agreed the 200 is not a 220 and does not have such a chequered history in the reliability dept but unless you do 'enough' miles it may not be any more economical to run.

"SOLD..Hold out yah hand!"

I bought it. Full lex service history not a mark on it both inside and out (I mean it's like a 2yo car) 

Thanks for your guidance gentlemen.

IMG_20200524_220241.jpg

• Like 2

Congratulations and welcome to the LOC,hoping you find the forum educational and informative,personally would have gone with a slightly newer model ie 2010 thereby benefitting from the lower tax,£305 rather than £565,but all that matters is you being happy with the car which you definitely are.Furthermore it does seem to be a well looked after car and a low mileage one too,well done 🙂👍👍

7 hours ago, scudney said:

Congratulations and welcome to the LOC,hoping you find the forum educational and informative,personally would have gone with a slightly newer model ie 2010 thereby benefitting from the lower tax,£305 rather than £565,but all that matters is you being happy with the car which you definitely are.Furthermore it does seem to be a well looked after car and a low mileage one too,well done 🙂👍👍

Hey scudney. she has all the equipment except the sonar distance cruise control, sunroof and the cubby hole for sunglasses. As i only paid 3700, it would take approx 5yrs to see those benefits assuming a 2010 of the same spec condition and milage (say 2k more!?) NB. Passed your way twice yesterday 🙂

Good for you,at the end of the day that's all that matters(its got most of what you want and at good price too).Enjoy 😉👍

• Thanks 1