Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aristo Twin Turbo

chips229

there a 2 versions of the Aristo Twin Turbo, the JZS147 aka Mk1 and JZS161, aka Mk2.

Officially 280 bhp, in real life much more. It has the same engine as the Supra Twin Turbo, and can be easily tuned to get over 400bhp out of the engine. Please note that you need to have an uncle working in the oil industry if you want to raise the bar even higher.

In Japan, Japanese car manufacturers had a gentlemen agreement to quote not more than 280bhp.

Therefore, they quoted Chaser 2.0TT (with 280 bhp), Soarer 2.5TT (with 280bhp) and Aristo 3.0TT (with 280 bhp). For instance the Aristo 3.0TT, if you would increase the turbopressure with 0.1 bar, you would instantly get 30 - 40 bhp more

Thanks for the info can anyone tell me anything about what to look for as im going to look at a TT this weekend.As ive said in another post somewhere its a 92 model with a claimed 63,000 miles on it from a dealer priced at £5000.Ive never bought a import before so im a little worried about getting spares for it.

just make sure that mileage is in keeping with the cars condition ,check wear on the pedals,steering wheel,seats etc,lift matts and check wear on carpets,check for white smoke when reved .Also i think cambelt is due at 60,000 so ask if it has been done and if so ask for proof or you will need to do it at a cost of about £300 and if you can aford to get an aa report done it will save you money in the long run and i would not buy an import without one ,ask about a warrenty and how much you are covered for per claim. as they are dear if they go wrong

i think its pretty rare car here, i dont think i've ever seen one. only see a handful of GS's.

A MK2 (like my avatar :D ), will be my next addition, once I've finished doing eveything to the IS :lol:

Try Tescos, they are the cheapest if you have (declare) no mods

Tescos are the only ones at present tobe able to give me a quote and with 9 years NCD and a 2 week driving ban last year its £706.65 fully comp to start a new one with tesco.So for me on renewal this year it was £350ish tpft on the senator then swapped to ls400 after a month and paid another £120 and had it made up to fully comp insurance,so at the moment thats a big jump in price,hope i can get it abit cheaper

I'm with the Gold Member's Insurance Scheme, only £735 Fully Comp with Breakdown cover, max NCB and I'm 33, try them but you'll need to become a gold member to enjoy the benfits.

Tesco's gave me a quote but when I aked them about the Grey Import and the fact it was a TT, they just said they'd insure under a GS300, not correct, if you had an accident, the insuance would be non-void as it's a Twin Turbo, not a UK GS300.

If you're not sure ask, but it would be to late if you ask later - after an accident say.

They are very rare motor - especailly the MK I, not many about - I know, as for the spares, they are available, one member on here would be able to get mostly any spares/upgrade you may need - JDMPARTS_GURU aka Alex, Ask this chap.

Ask Mudzs has advised, the Cambelt should be changed every 68K, the main points to look out for would be dampness in the spare tire well, the steering rack - move the steering & listen for any knocking noises, checking for oil vapours when starting from cold and also listen to the engine for any odd idle spikes. Under the Front mats, there will be inspection holes, check for dampness there as well.

Hope this helps

BR

Paul

• 2 months later...

Have to confuss, not to sure, I've been told by a few dealers that they are one of the same and others have stated that you have Vertex & Vortex. Maybe it's something to do with the difference's between the MK I & MK II or maybe the difference's in the type of engine "Power Plant".

Would be interested to see if anyone can shed any light on the subject.

BR

Paul

The GS is we know it is called the Aristo in Japan. All models are an Aristo so you cannot compare an Aristo to a Vertex.

There are two main variants the S300 and the V300.

The S300 is like the UK GS300 with the 2JZ-GE engine putting out around 220bhp.

The V300 is the twin turbo 2JZ-GTE engine putting out 280bhp (although probably nearer 300bhp).

Both the S300 and the V300 are available in standard form and the Vertex (some people incorrectly call it the Vortex). This is a higher spec model so you get a rear spoiler, HIDs, maybe bigger wheels etc. The V300 Vertex also gets active rear wheel steering.

The S300 is also available in Walnut Package which is like the Vertex model + wood trim interior.

Leather interior, sunroof and uprated stereos are options on all models.

Dam Colin - You THE MAN,

Is there anything you DON't know about these motors

Cheers Colin, Looks like I've got the extras thrown in with this lady

• 2 weeks later...

Colin is spot on. I've had my Mk II Aristo V300 now for the past 4 years and I did quite a bit of research on the models before I bought mine.

Spares are pretty easy to come by and I've managed to get all spares (filters, plugs, pads etc.) from the local Lexus dealer.

Not all Lexus dealers will touch these cars for servicing though and make sure that if you are looking to buy, that the car has the BIMTA Certificate of Authenticity. There are quite a few stolen Aristo's imported into the UK.

The only points which I've noticed can cause problems and to watch for are the conversion of the speedo - The electrics are quite sensitive and it needs a good conversion to take off the limit on the Cruise control.

The other is the ARS (Automatic Rear Steering) which can be problematic and seems to increase rear tyre wear. I'm struggling to find someone who can align this for me on my car as I have to change tyres every 3-4 months.

As far as Insurance goes - I have insured through Direct Line, Privilege and Tescos which are really one and the same but you can get better deals by shopping between them each year. They definately do recognise and cover the Aristo V300 Vertex. Insurance is never cheap though!

Spares are pretty easy to come by and I've managed to get all spares (filters, plugs, pads etc.) from the local Lexus dealer.

The Aristo Twin Turbo shares a lot of the parts with the GS300. Brakes disks, pads, oil filter, airfilter, ball joints, ... are all the same.

however, if you are going to boost the Aristo Twin Turbo (it can easily output 500 hp or more but doing some engine management tuning, and some getting an intercooler, ...) your standard brakes won't be enough.