Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lock car but leave windows open???

Hi all, I would be grateful if anyone can tell me if there is a way to lock the car but leave the windows slightly open. I have a 14 plate RX 450h and have a dog that from time to time may be left in the car while we’re shopping for example. Obviously the car needs to be secure but I want to make sure the dog has enough ventilation. It seems that if the windows are even slightly open the car refuses to lock using the fob. 
So am I missing something or is there a clever way of doing it?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I'm sure it can be locked with the windows open, just not the doors.

If you are locking with the fob then you need to disable to motion sensor on the alarm. Maybe that is what is stopping it???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Comedian said:

Don't be silly ......

Can't believe there are still people that do this cruel thing but here you go. Maybe the risk of 6 months in prison might put you off?

https://www.themotoringlaw.uk/leaving-dogs-in-the-car-law/

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I'm with you on this, in the winter I wouldn't have too much of an issue, but this time of the year?  I've sat in my car in the summer with the windows slightly down, it's unbearable, and I'm not wearing a fur coat!

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 7:47 PM, Comedian said:

Don't be silly ......

Can't believe there are still people that do this cruel thing but here you go. Maybe the risk of 6 months in prison might put you off?

https://www.themotoringlaw.uk/leaving-dogs-in-the-car-law/

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Absolutely right 'Comedian'.

Every summer we see news of animals (mostly dogs) being left in cars and either dying or suffering extreme heat exhaustion. I cannot believe that anyone would ever consider doing such a thing, and if I ever witnessed it, would summon the local constabulary.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Illogan said:

Absolutely right 'Comedian'.

Every summer we see news of animals (mostly dogs) being left in cars and either dying or suffering extreme heat exhaustion. I cannot believe that anyone would ever consider doing such a thing, and if I ever witnessed it, would summon the local constabulary.

It wouldn't be the first time we've had to call the Police because a customer has left a dog in their car. Even after store announcements, no one shows up, so the constable will smash a window to release the poor creature. We tried calling the AA/RAC but they take too long to arrive.

We were advised that should a member of the public or store staff break the window it could be construed as criminal damage. The Police are very prompt..

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
33 minutes ago, Nooblexus said:

Use secondary key to manually lock doors. Counter clock wise

Primary key is keeping ac + engine running

Well done for trying to answer this question, Noob.  But it would appear that as David’s one and only post was to ask it in May 22 2020, he may have lost interest in the answer.

There is the sad conjecture that his dog resolved the problem by dying of heatstroke.  🙁

Forget window guards.YOU SHOULD NOT LEAVE A DOG IN THE CAR.

It is idiotic and cruel.You shouldn't be allowed to keep an animal.If you can't look after your pet,get someone who cares , to do it.

You are a disgrace.

Some of the answers above are a bit over the top. On a warm day definitlely not (my car shows internal temp on the app and it can hit 60c+ when its 20-30 outside) but on a cold day when the inside of the car is not going to get hot then thats a different matter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ColinBarber said:

On a public road it would be illegal to do that.

With a Tesla (perhaps Lexus EVs?) there's a dog mode where you can leave the car locked with the air con on without the engine running (because there isn't an engine). The car screen shows the internal temp, as does the mobile app and the car has an internal camera that you can watch the dog on for signs of distress. I don't used it often and only for a short time, eg to pop to the toilet on a long journey when travelling alone.

(I asked in a FB group of dog owners and many, male and female, just use a hedge and avoid services. I does make me wonder if services could offer some kind of secure dog daycare while people stop. They'd get more custom that way and dogs would be safer (from theft as well as heat).

14 minutes ago, javadude said:

With a Tesla (perhaps Lexus EVs?) there's a dog mode where you can leave the car locked with the air con on without the engine running (because there isn't an engine).

Yes. The law is related to ICE engines running unattended and pollution. You can set the AC to be on remotely with a Lexus EV but without the screen saying so the public would be unaware - that's the good thing about Tesla's dog mode because it informs the public that the climate control is on and displays the inside temperature.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColinBarber said:

Yes. The law is related to ICE engines running unattended and pollution. You can set the AC to be on remotely with a Lexus EV but without the screen saying so the public would be unaware - that's the good thing about Tesla's dog mode because it informs the public that the climate control is on and displays the inside temperature.

Maybe Lexus will add that in an OTA update. I wouldn't want to come back to my car to find a smashed window and a scared dog who's run off. I'm still wary with the Tesla as just cause there's a bright screen with a clear message doesn't mean everyone's going to read it.

6 minutes ago, javadude said:

Some of the answers above are a bit over the top. On a warm day definitlely not (my car shows internal temp on the app and it can hit 60c+ when its 20-30 outside) but on a cold day when the inside of the car is not going to get hot then thats a different matter. 

I think this is a more measured response.  Ideally, no animals should be locked up in cars - although some drivers have been known to do it as a security measure!  😡

But I do know dog owners who use window mesh grills and are fully aware of internal temperatures and parking conditions who will also provide portable water dispensers, rather than leave a dog unattended alone at home - which can be more distressing.

However, it’s also true that many drivers don’t appreciate how a warm day externally can result in potentially fatal conditions internally.  Recently, I was sent an infrared thermometer reading showing that on one day in mid June the surface temperature of a car had reached 50C.

I used to help run an event at the annual National Game Fair and regular PA warnings would be broadcast about leaving dogs in parked cars.  One year there was indeed rumours of a dog dying, but there was certainly more than one instance of Police breaking in to cars to remove dogs and then later to prosecute the owners.

I found this even more shocking as the attendees were supposedly mainly country folk who might have more awareness of their responsibilities.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2023 at 5:27 AM, LenT said:

I have this. Thanks. you can get them in Halfords.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 10:04 AM, javadude said:

most of the year where I live the temp never reaches 20c and there is always a cool air to keep the car cool with windows open and parked in the shade..