welland

Solar Panel trickle charger for OBD

I have a 2006 RX400h and am fed up of the weekly flat Battery caused by not using ut enough.  So, I'm going to get a solar panel trickle charger.  I believe that all the cigar lighter sockets are disconnected when the car is locked, but the OBD port remains connecte to the Battery - and thus is a suitable place to connect the charger.  Am I correct?  

I've seen this one on ebay for £22.90:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AA-Essentials-12V-Solar-Powered-Car-Battery-Charger-Solar-Panel-OBD-Version/233409015194?hash=item365842ed9a:g:pMsAAOSwnGld1P36

Has anybody got this one?  Is it satisfactory?  

Can it be beaten on price - or on performance for similar money?  

You are correct, use the OBD port at it has a permanent 12v feed.

It seems a good price, Halford do ones for a similar price but don't come with the OBD connector as standard.

Just remember that the power it produces is very low. It won't charge your Battery but hopefully will maintain it with 12+ hours of daylight - so make sure it is fully charged first.

• Thanks 1

It also won't help much if your Battery is well past it sell by date,bought the AA one myself a  few weeks ago just to keep my Battery topped up as I only use the car occasionally at the moment 

• Like 1

During this Covid malarkey I tried an Oxford Oximiser 888 to keep my LS430 fully charged. Having been a Biker for 50 plus years, these are common with bikers. I was a little unsure as to the difference in amperage resistance  between large car batteries and the much smaller motorcycle batteries, as these Optimisers are designed to be left on indefinitely with no danger of boiling a Battery, which would happen with a regular Battery charger. However after a few days measuring the input and retained voltage, everything was fine. To the point that I ordered 2 more for wife and daughters car. They retail at £25 each including delivery from Sportsbikeshop.Co. They show the voltage constantly on the tiny screen, and they monitor and top up the batteries constantly. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chris Pritchard said:

During this Covid malarkey I tried an Oxford Oximiser 888 to keep my LS430 fully charged. Having been a Biker for 50 plus years, these are common with bikers. I was a little unsure as to the difference in amperage resistance  between large car batteries and the much smaller motorcycle batteries, as these Optimisers are designed to be left on indefinitely with no danger of boiling a battery, which would happen with a regular battery charger. However after a few days measuring the input and retained voltage, everything was fine. To the point that I ordered 2 more for wife and daughters car. They retail at £25 each including delivery from Sportsbikeshop.Co. They show the voltage constantly on the tiny screen, and they monitor and top up the batteries constantly. Hope this helps.

This sounds good, but I was trying to achieve the convenience of not needing a 240v power supply.  

17 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

You are correct, use the OBD port at it has a permanent 12v feed.

It seems a good price, Halford do ones for a similar price but don't come with the OBD connector as standard.

Just remember that the power it produces is very low. It won't charge your battery but hopefully will maintain it with 12+ hours of daylight - so make sure it is fully charged first.

Understand, Colin.  Thanks.  

I've ordered it now.