Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. I recently bought a IS220d F Sport (2010) to replace my '07 IS220d with 175k miles.  The new car felt sluggish at low revs so I thought ok, ERG valve.....which I've cleaned I's say 3x previously on the old car.

Sure enough, the valve is clogged with soot - worst I've seen (car has 68k so I suspect never done). However now that I've cleaned the assembly I've noticed something that doesn't seem right.

The valves are not sitting in their seats on the body of the housing. It's as if the valve mechanism is not retracting fully. This presumable allows gases to pass through the valve constantly.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures which hopefully show what I'm probably describing very poorly. Any thoughts very welcome.

Scott

IMG_7927 copy 2.jpg

IMG_7928 copy 2.jpg

Given the previous lack of maintenance to the valve it’s probable that the moving parts, generally a solenoid, are gummed up also preventing full travel. 

You can test the solenoid by applying power and see if it moves as it should as there are only 2 positions open or closed.

Personally for continued reliability and peace of mind I would replace the complete unit with a new one.

Thanks Steve,

I suspect you're right. Is is possible/wise to dismantle the valve. Presumably the cap over the spring in the attached picture comes off but does this allow the vmechanism to be dismantled?

Scott 

IMG_7929.jpg

Having played a bit with the value I thought I'd just close this post out.

I ended up giving the end of the valve stem a tap with a bit of wood and a mallet (so the rod running through the assemble that the little valves are mounted). After a few knocks the valves seemed to be sitting ok and so more erg cleaner and pushing the valve assembly in & out it seems fine. Not to say that it won't need replacing at some point but it seems fine now.

Scott

• Like 1

Hi Craig,

First of I'm glad you've sorted your valve issue,  my name's Chris by the way. If you wouldn't mind I've actually got the opportunity to buy a an f sport 220d with 70k miles from a dealership, and I'd love to get in touch and ask you a few questions about this model if that's ok?