Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello everyone,

I have recently installed some daylight running turn signal bulbs and I need to find an ACC power source inside the engine bay to power them. I haven't been able to find schematics for the wiring.

Is there such a wire located on the headlight wire harness? 

Also, is there a way to run a cable from the cabin to the engine bay easily? I would like to install a switch to turn on/off the drls if possible.

Thanks!

I don't know where you live but here in the UK it's normal that the DRLs should come on with the ignition and go off either when the ignition is turned off or automatically go off when you turn on your side/tail lamps (so that other drivers are not dazzled in the dark).

The correct way would be to use an 'add a fuse' piggyback fuseholder (like the one below from eBay) on any ignition-switched circuit that you can find in the engine bay fusebox.

You'll then need to wire in a relay for the automatic switching so that as it starts to get dark, you'll turn on your 'normal' lights and the DRLs will go off at the same time.

addafuse.thumb.png.d00eb9e7afb424c4d2c33ac5e0d2602f.png

32 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I don't know where you live but here in the UK it's normal that the DRLs should come on with the ignition and go off either when the ignition is turned off or automatically go off when you turn on your side/tail lamps (so that other drivers are not dazzled in the dark).

The correct way would be to use an 'add a fuse' piggyback fuseholder (like the one below from eBay) on any ignition-switched circuit that you can find in the engine bay fusebox.

You'll then need to wire in a relay for the automatic switching so that as it starts to get dark, you'll turn on your 'normal' lights and the DRLs will go off at the same time.

addafuse.thumb.png.d00eb9e7afb424c4d2c33ac5e0d2602f.png

Thanks for the reply. I am located in Cyprus, the car is a UK model I believe. It doesn't have factory drl enabled and can't enable it because I installed HID bulbs.

I didn't explain my situation very well. So basically I installed new turn signal bulbs, which have an extra cable which when powered turns them white and when you signal they flash yellow just like normal turn signal bulbs. I just need the location of a 12V ACC power source so that they light up when the car is running.

I have ordered the piggy back fuse holder.

Hi Evis, no, I know exactly what you mean because I did the exact same to my RX300 when I had it. Have a read of this topic:

• Like 1

This youtube video shows all the fusebox locations and the circuits they power, you will need a switched circuit so power is only present  when the key is in the ACC position. The interior fuse boxes do have this but no sure regarding the easier option for wiring from the engine bay ones. If you have a test meter you can easily find a suitable fuse which is switched, find a fuse which is dead but has power when in ACC mode.

Personally I’m not fond of the fuse piggy back connectors but it should be fine given the relatively low current requirements for the DRLs, just make sure you fit the supplied fuse at no more than 7.5 Amps.

Finally where are you located in Cyprus, Parallimni area by any chance?

When I did the DRLs above I made one 'mistake' in that I used two relays but in fact, it's possible to do it with just one.

In the diagram below, Pin 30 is internally connected to Pin 87A in what's called a 'Normally Closed' or NC configuration, so when you switch on the ignition the power will go from Pin 30 to Pin 87A and out to the DRLs switching them on.

Later on, when it starts getting dark, you switch on the side and tail lights which then sends 12v to Pin 85 to energise the coil of the relay. The relay then switches over from Pin 87A and connects to Pin 87, therefore switching off the DRLs.

958417354_1relaydrls.thumb.jpg.6b0943a1b5f5a351e5a04803116c6a48.jpg

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Hi Evis, no, I know exactly what you mean because I did the exact same to my RX300 when I had it. Have a read of this topic:

22 minutes ago, Herbie said:

When I did the DRLs above I made one 'mistake' in that I used two relays but in fact, it's possible to do it with just one.

In the diagram below, Pin 30 is internally connected to Pin 87A in what's called a 'Normally Closed' or NC configuration, so when you switch on the ignition the power will go from Pin 30 to Pin 87A and out to the DRLs switching them on.

Later on, when it starts getting dark, you switch on the side and tail lights which then sends 12v to Pin 85 to energise the coil of the relay. The relay then switches over from Pin 87A and connects to Pin 87, therefore switching off the DRLs.

958417354_1relaydrls.thumb.jpg.6b0943a1b5f5a351e5a04803116c6a48.jpg

Oh okay. Thought that I didn't explain my problem well. That's exactly what I am doing. I was going to have the DRLs on all the time ( more like All Day Running Lights) but the relay idea is very nice! Thanks for your input, I will work on it once the last parts arrive.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

This youtube video shows all the fusebox locations and the circuits they power, you will need a switched circuit so power is only present  when the key is in the ACC position. The interior fuse boxes do have this but no sure regarding the easier option for wiring from the engine bay ones. If you have a test meter you can easily find a suitable fuse which is switched, find a fuse which is dead but has power when in ACC mode.

Personally I’m not fond of the fuse piggy back connectors but it should be fine given the relatively low current requirements for the DRLs, just make sure you fit the supplied fuse at no more than 7.5 Amps.

Finally where are you located in Cyprus, Parallimni area by any chance?

Hello, thanks for the video and suggestions. The drls draw very little power, well bellow 2A so overloading a circuit probably wont be an issue. I will give the multimeter method a try probably.

I am located in Nicosia.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links