Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Issue with rear suspension, where to start?

6500RPM

ON my LS430, the suspension has started sitting far too low at the rear when it is set on the normal ride height.  

If I set it to high, it rises so my thinking is the compressor and the ride height sensors are both working, so unsure what else to check. Any help appreciated. 

5 hours ago, 6500RPM said:

ON my LS430, the suspension has started sitting far too low at the rear when it is set on the normal ride height.  

If I set it to high, it rises so my thinking is the compressor and the ride height sensors are both working, so unsure what else to check. Any help appreciated. 

Is it loosing height over a period or just constantly sitting low?  If it's the latter I would punt on it being a height sensor.  On a previous LS430 I had to replace one as the rear sat too low.

• Like 1

Constantly sitting low.  I had discounted the height sensor due to it changing height when I put it on high, also with both sides being low I did not think both would have went at the same time, or would it ride low if just one side had gone? Any way of seeing which side needs replacing?  

Also, on a side note, is it okay to drive the car around with it set to high? 

Tia.

56 minutes ago, 6500RPM said:

Constantly sitting low.  I had discounted the height sensor due to it changing height when I put it on high, also with both sides being low I did not think both would have went at the same time, or would it ride low if just one side had gone? Any way of seeing which side needs replacing?  

Also, on a side note, is it okay to drive the car around with it set to high? 

Tia.

Another member recently had the whole back end completely down due to just one damaged sensor.  I see no reason why you can't drive set on high.  I think you need to get it jacked up to see if anything looks amiss, something may be obvious when you look.  Take some photos when you jack it up and post them here if you can. DON'T run the engine when it's jacked up.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 6500RPM said:

Found the problem, just need to sort it now. Snapped sensor bracket. 

The second one in a week! Could be much worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

The second one in a week! Could be much worse.

Shame you cant seem to buy the brackets by themselves, as the sensor seems okay, but the price of them is *ouch*.

1 hour ago, 6500RPM said:

Shame you cant seem to buy the brackets by themselves, as the sensor seems okay, but the price of them is *ouch*.

At least not as painful as replacing the struts which I did last year! Have you got a photo of the affected area?

32 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

spacer.pngAt least not as painful as replacing the struts which I did last year! Have you got a photo of the affected area?

That's some corrosion, although it often looks worse than it is. I can't quite see where the bracket has broken, and it isn't the same problem another member had but the same symptom.

5 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

That's some corrosion, although it often looks worse than it is. I can't quite see where the bracket has broken, and it isn't the same problem another member had but the same symptom.

I have circled the ends of the bracket that has snapped, and the arrow points from where the other end of the snap is, if that makes sense. 
spacer.png

My next question will be, is it just a case of fitting the new one, plugging it in and go, or is there some strange electronic wizardry I have to perform please? 

1 hour ago, 6500RPM said:

My next question will be, is it just a case of fitting the new one, plugging it in and go, or is there some strange electronic wizardry I have to perform please? 

I had to have a new height sensor on a previous LS430 and it was simply plug and go. As is often mentioned, the engine should never be run when the car is jacked up as it confuses the system, apart from that it's straightforward. Have you tried Rockauto in the US for new parts?  Even with shipping etc it can save lots.

• Like 1