Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

not LS... but I wanna drive one

I really like the Century and the Crown as well but the alloys? nah...  My boy ricer (cough) days are gone I want comfort and silence now and I see a trend for those cars coming out of Japan where they are fitting the non factory alloys and to be honest its a big no for me. But whatever floats ones boat I suppose. 

13 minutes ago, BMCWP said:

I really like the Century and the Crown as well but the alloys? nah...  My boy ricer (cough) days are gone I want comfort and silence now and I see a trend for those cars coming out of Japan where they are fitting the non factory alloys and to be honest its a big no for me. But whatever floats ones boat I suppose. 

I agree the wheels don't look good on it but if money was no object I think I'd have one!

It would be nice to try one out just to compare to LS, but as to owning, not really, I would feel like I was in some mid 90's American film always driving to a rough part of Chicago ready to pick up the next package/hooker/shady hustler.

• Haha 1

Been looking at the Japanese auction sites again. I never realised how many Toyota models are actually made with names I have never heard of.

They all seem to be going up in price especially the earlier LS400 models, when you take into account the “landed” price plus the taxes plus the registration etc the ones on the likes of Fleabay are quite competitively priced when you consider it’s the “On the road” price and will have a warranty if purchased from a dealer.

When you need a part and put your registration number in and it finds nothing and Celsior or Century aren’t in the drop down box you know at that point you’re heading towards the dealer. I often see one of the national motor factors vans with “Any part for any car” on the back doors....one day I’ll put them to the test again. 

“What model is it mate?

”Toyota Celsior”

”Toyota Celica?”

” No Celsior”

”Never heard of it, just a minute”..........dial tone 😀

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Been looking at the Japanese auction sites again. I never realised how many Toyota models are actually made with names I have never heard of.

They all seem to be going up in price especially the earlier LS400 models, when you take into account the “landed” price plus the taxes plus the registration etc the ones on the likes of Fleabay are quite competitively priced when you consider it’s the “On the road” price and will have a warranty if purchased from a dealer.

When you need a part and put your registration number in and it finds nothing and Celsior or Century aren’t in the drop down box you know at that point you’re heading towards the dealer. I often see one of the national motor factors vans with “Any part for any car” on the back doors....one day I’ll put them to the test again. 

“What model is it mate?

”Toyota Celsior”

”Toyota Celica?”

” No Celsior”

”Never heard of it, just a minute”..........dial tone 😀

Whenever I try these companies they always say Celica?!

Well TBH I am not really into that VIP styling, also never understood what the bit of old knotted rope was hanging from the rear view was about.

12 minutes ago, skyway said:

Well TBH I am not really into that VIP styling, also never understood what the bit of old knotted rope was hanging from the rear view was about.

Do you remember the Century we saw in London that was rolled out in your honour?  I saw love in your eyes!!

OH my i see that car with my waking eyes.....

Yeah I think he sold that car, stunning on the outside,,,,, ugly as sin on the inside I dont know why I love it but I do.

About the same power/weight as the LS430 but with 1970's styling (or lack thereof :yucky:). I can kinda see the attraction from a certain point of view, but when put alongside an LS400 or LS430 it's just too fugly. The LS will be more reliable and way cheaper to maintain as they were at least actually imported to the UK, where the Century was never officially imported here.
Would I like to drive one? Yes, especially as at 6'4" I still find the LS430 to be a little small for me (I think I need to find a way to move the drivers seat backwards about 2" on it's brackets).
Would I like to own one? No.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skyway said:

OH my i see that car with my waking eyes.....

Yeah I think he sold that car, stunning on the outside,,,,, ugly as sin on the inside I dont know why I love it but I do.

True, they are a tad ugly inside, they remind me of an Amstrad computer!

• Haha 1

Very interesting video with reference to the shared features of the LS 400 and concept design ,the most striking is the use of wood and switches virtually from the same mold and I imagine a lot of the electronic modules are very similar with tweaks to pc boards.

As Toyota were producing this car for a strictly home market the culture difference creeps in but from a snob appeal point of view the culture of the Americans was viewed by the Japanese as common and brash but they knew how to appeal to it in their marketing.