m4rkw

Rust spots on bonnet from stone chips

Recommended Posts

I noticed a couple of rust dots where stones have chipped the front of my bonnet. So now I've bought a bottle of rust converter and am awaiting delivery of a toyota touch-up pen so I can treat the rust and then paint over the dot. Am I overreacting? Do most people just ignore stuff like this? Not sure if a tiny rust spot can grow and slowly eat the bonnet away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can develop so you are right to touch them up. Most stone chips don't get all the way to the metal but they are worth touching up too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

They can develop so you are right to touch them up. Most stone chips don't get all the way to the metal but they are worth touching up too.

(Note - not 'PC') Does that make them similar to Rolling Stones chicks?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen some cars with a rather obvious protector over part of the bonnet.  I wonder if a well designed and fitted transparent plastic cover might be helpful. and more acceptable. I found a few stone chips on my bonnet recently and I know these were not there when I purchased the car as Lexus had the paint shop deal with this very problem before I took delivery.  So I will also be getting a touch up pen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps a clear vinyl rap would alleviate this problem. 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Britprius said:

Perhaps a clear vinyl rap would alleviate this problem. 

John

Or to avoid any new fangled dance music type thing I would consider a vinyl wrap 🎶🎶🎶😎

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, olliesgrandad said:

Or to avoid any new fangled dance music type thing I would consider a vinyl wrap 🎶🎶🎶😎

Spelling was never my strong point. Come to think of it I do not think I ever had a strong point.

John.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone has trouble sourcing the correct touch up paint and you don't have an unusual colour I can recommend a Sharpie permanent marker :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago I was selling a white Rover 820 and used Tipex correction fluid to fill some pock marks on the bonnet, didn’t make much difference as I virtually had to give it away.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Many years ago I was selling a white Rover 820 and used Tipex correction fluid to fill some pock marks on the bonnet, didn’t make much difference as I virtually had to give it away.

You were lucky you didn't have to pay someone to take it 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Many years ago I was selling a white Rover 820 and used Tipex correction fluid to fill some pock marks on the bonnet, didn’t make much difference as I virtually had to give it away.

I was another that used to have one of those, in white too.

It used to be my most unreliable car yet … until I bought a Range Rover a couple of cars ago.

The 820 was an auto and whoever designed the engine layout wanted shooting, start motor, alternator all buried .. gearbox crap and needed replacing.

The 2.0l engine they put in the 620 was far better layout, but it was a Honda engine rather than a Rover one (say no more)

The only good thing about the white Rover 820 was if you were in a hurry you put the headlights on and people seemed to move out of the way for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always surprises me how much of a following all the 70s/80s/90s BL/Rover ******* has on car Twitter and I assume the Book of Face. I never say anything though, they're quite a vocal bunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Always surprises me how much of a following all the 70s/80s/90s BL/Rover ******* has on car Twitter and I assume the Book of Face. I never say anything though, they're quite a vocal bunch.

You should see the LandyZone, seems like hundreds of posts a day asking advice on how to fix problems with the vehicles, breakdowns etc.

I went from the Range Rover to a Hyundai Tucson then this Lexus and the difference in the forums was an eye opener, from major faults and repairs on the Range Rover through not much happing on the Hyundai owners to this one where most seem to be very minor faults on older vehicles to "stone chips" 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lexus/Toyota reputation for reliability is one of the main reasons for buying them - was in my case.  Lexus comfort was for me a close second.  Stone chip damage to paintwork and screens is a potential problem regardless of marque.  Perhaps Lexus could make the already oversize grille even larger to reduce this problem! lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we need to employ a little man that can run in front of the car with a fly swot to swot away any stones that dares to come near our Lexus cars?

Just like they used to walk in front of the cars with red flags. 😄

That actually takes me back to the Landyzone membership where, if any one asked about a problem with a Range Rover, you were told to get your butler to fix it.

The Discovery was expectedly called the Disco

The Landrover series was called Tractors

The Evogue was called the Ewok

The Freelander was called the Gaylander 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

The Lexus/Toyota reputation for reliability is one of the main reasons for buying them - was in my case.  Lexus comfort was for me a close second.  Stone chip damage to paintwork and screens is a potential problem regardless of marque.  Perhaps Lexus could make the already oversize grille even larger to reduce this problem! lol. 

When I had my VW Beetle in `69 I covered the front boot lid with a rubbery/plastic curtain which to an extent protected the paintwork from stones but introduced other problems like water retention, staining and inducing rust !
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:
When I had my VW Beetle in `69 I covered the front boot lid with a rubbery/plastic curtain which to an extent protected the paintwork from stones but introduced other problems like water retention, staining and inducing rust !
 

From what I remember of cars from those days a lot of cars did not require anything to "introduce" rust to them, they had it built in from new, especially anything from Fiat or from Japan (Datsun 120Y)… and Triumph (my old TR7)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the rear spoilers on some cars are of a material with some give in it, so if this material  was to be incorporated into the bonnet, it might minimize the damage caused by stone chips and also cause less injury to wayward pedestrians.  But it would doubtless add weight so perhaps not a good idea! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone remember the old Citroen BX with its composite bonnet and plastic wings?

I wonder why manufacturers did not continue with something like that to help prevent rust due to stone chips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 8:40 AM, flookyk said:

Does anyone remember the old Citroen BX with its composite bonnet and plastic wings?

I wonder why manufacturers did not continue with something like that to help prevent rust due to stone chips?

I owned the gti version. White with a 'tea tray' rear spoiler and a lovely navy blue velour interior. Very advanced cars. I suspect they went conventional to reduce costs. Changing a wheel was a doddle with the hydropneumatic suspension. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.