Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus is 200 Timing belt kit replacement

Foxmulder

Hello Dear Members.

I have had a lexus is 200 since 2010.

In 2018 have had the exhaust valves and seats, and  piston rings replaced.

Soon will have to  replace the timing belt , and also the  camshaft and crankshaft seals.

I have never replaced the crankshafts seal and it is leaking enough, but I have difficoulties in finding the camshaft bolt, which has to be replaced every time it is unbolted.

Does anybody know if I  can use instead a different steel bolt? will it be a problem?

IMG_20170828_123005.jpg

IMG_20170828_123011.jpg

Hello John,

No idea where in the world you are located and what your postal system is like but the bolt part number is 90910-02138 priced around £4.00.

It is described as a “Standard Part” so a similar bolt of the same size and specification should be fine, again unknown if the bolt needs thread sealer or the torque setting.

Personally with it being such a critical part I would get the correct one from Lexus or Toyota.

Link below for various sources around the world.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&source=hp&ei=INzMXsGyEIa4lwTRh5rIAQ&q=90910-02138&oq=90910-02138&gs_lcp=ChFtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1ocBADOggIKRCDARCTAjoCCCk6BQgpEIMBOggIKRAWEB0QHjoECCkQCjoFCC4QkwI6BQgAEIMBOgIIADoCCC5Q3SlYgmNgnGloAHAAeACAAYMBiAHtB5IBAzcuNJgBAKABAbABDw&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp

• Like 1

Some engines need new cylinder head bolts every time  the head is removed. The reason being they will shear off if used again. 

The torque for a camshaft bolt is much less and the only reason I can think is the bolt having a friction thread which wears off when used the bolt is removed. Hence risk of the bolt becoming loose.

If that is the case you can use loctide on the thread, it is available in light, medium and high strength. Medium strength should be tight enough to keep the bolt to its specified torque. This will secure the bolt in position.

However, I would follow the manufacturer's recommendations for peace of mind. If tha bolt becomes loose, you will need a new engine or a full engine overhaul.

Chris.

33 minutes ago, Mihanicos said:

The torque for a camshaft bolt is much less and the only reason I can think is the bolt having a friction thread which wears off when used the bolt is removed. Hence risk of the bolt becoming loose.

Whilst less that the head bolts, on this engine it is still significant, 35 Nm and then turn a further 90 deg.

Weirdly, whilst they specify not to reuse the cam bolts, they do allow the head bolts to be reused. 

Thank you very much for this information.

To answer Steve... I am an Australian living in Italy.

Here  parts aren't cheap so buy spares from autodoc.com. some parts also from UK and japan....

all in all,  a nice car,pity that the italian gov and the Eu do not allow engine conversions....

Try Megazip and Jp car parts. Megazip have a warehouse in the United Arab Emirates in addition to their head office in Japan. 

Japan Spares have excellent service too.

• 9 months later...

Hello ...

I have had  a timing belt replaced. but on the attempt to  take the bolt off , the mechanic broke in internal part of the harmonic balancer, and also a few teeth of the timing gear........

Unfortunately in lexus they do not have it in stock and they will have it in 20 days time.

Car's performance is bad  does not rev over 2700 rpm, and cannot go over kmph

I have looked on the web and I could only find the is 300 part number.... can you tell me if it is also good foor the is 200?

Many thanks!

lexus is timing gear.webp