Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine covers - Surely a shame to hide this Engine?

I'm enjoying servicing the V8, and when stripped back it's a hell of a thing to look at. There's no harm in not putting all the engine bay covers back on is there? Has anyone cleaned up and 'presented' their engine? If the covers are just for sound proofing, I'd be happy to live without 'em.

IMG_7551.thumb.jpeg.191b408924f83d14ec9ec0738e9862a7.jpegIMG_7575.thumb.jpeg.c4f2bd39768394908712df0227479486.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I've always suspected the engine covers are purely cosmetic for the benefit of customers who purchase the cars new from the dealers.

The people who buy these cars new don't buy them with the intention of doing their own engine maintenance! They buy into the concept of having a luxury car with everything taken care of by the dealer, and the sight of a complex modern engine that needs looking after can be off-putting to them.  These cars are sold by the driving experience, comfort, technical toys and dealer service, not by the mechanical bits under the bonnet. In fact I would be surprised if many potential buyers ask to look under the bonnet before signing on the dotted line.

There is nothing wrong with this situation, the new cars have to be presented in a way that appeals to new car buyers. If they weren't they wouldn't sell and I wouldn't be able to buy an LS430 with 95K on the clock for £2,900 !

John N

• Like 1