Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What could possibly go wrong?

OldStoat

Hi, I'm new to Lexus and, as someone else has written here, am thinking of buying my last car.

Various circumstances {including Scottish antecedents, and serious illness}  mean that I really don't want to pay more than 4k for a car - but I kind of hanker after an RX400h.

An optimist at heart I think that the engineering of Lexus may well provide for reliable service for 20 years and 200k miles - even the hybrid system which is warranted for 15 years given proper attention - wow!. 

So my question is what big bills might I expect from a 125000 mile old car with a full service history, and what are service costs likely to be given 10k annual mileage?

Hope someone has the time to respond - and that this is an appropriate sort of topic for here.

Hello Chris and welcome to the LOC.

With a full service history and hybrid health checks these cars just keep on going, I think once again Lexus top the reliability leagues.

In the USA there is a Lexus LS400 which has covered over 1,000,000 miles, yes 1 million and still going so at 125,000 miles the one you are considering isn’t even “run in” yet.

Have you done an MOT history check? Simply put in the registration number and it will show you all the past MOT details including advisories.

If you wish you can even post a link if available of the car you are considering ( I’ve never known another LOC member jump in and buy it). We can then give opinions good or bad.

Obviously these are a big heavy car so apart from wear and tear items like brake pads the suspension can wear but generally rubber bushes but this is common on all cars particularly with UK potholed roads. Check that the cam belt has been replaced at the correct time and haggle the price if a replacement is due.

Regarding servicing if you are sticking to Lexus they have a discounted fixed price system for older models which is quite reasonable.

Good luck I’m pretty sure you won’t be disappointed with an RX400h.

• Like 1

Hi Chris and welcome to the club.

I'm no expert on the 400h (or anything for that matter :laughing: ) but you may get a better response by posting in the dedicated RX forum.

I'm not sure £4k would do it but keep looking - there are bargains out there to be had.

It may also be worth considering the many catalytic converter thefts from these cars, if you're on a tight budget you don't want that extra expense.  I've not driven an RX but I'm told they are brilliant and with a great driving position.

21 hours ago, OldStoat said:

Hi, I'm new to Lexus and, as someone else has written here, am thinking of buying my last car.

Various circumstances {including Scottish antecedents, and serious illness}  mean that I really don't want to pay more than 4k for a car - but I kind of hanker after an RX400h.

An optimist at heart I think that the engineering of Lexus may well provide for reliable service for 20 years and 200k miles - even the hybrid system which is warranted for 15 years given proper attention - wow!. 

So my question is what big bills might I expect from a 125000 mile old car with a full service history, and what are service costs likely to be given 10k annual mileaood luck and show us your piccies when you have bought it please.Gge?

Hope someone has the time to respond - and that this is an appropriate sort of topic for here.

Hi Chris and welcome.

I endorse all that Steve 2006 has said.Good luck and show us your piccies when you have bought it please?

• 9 months later...

Well that took rather longer than I had hoped - but I've finally bought an RX 400h - I think it is a Mk2 version ('57)and the word I would use to describe driving it is 'Lush'. The most comfortable car I've owned - surpassing the Saab 9000 which previously held that honour.

I'm super happy with the car, but unfortunately it announced a Hybrid error on the way back from picking it up. There were no symptoms; but it declared a VSC error and a Hybrid error at once. I was in a contraflow at the time and so had to drive several miles before I could pull over. 

I switched the car off - and then back on again - which has worked on computers for the last 40 years and the VSC light cleared; but the hybrid error stayed on.

The Battery seems to charge OK according to the dashboard - so I've booked it in with Lexus Norwich for some tests this week.

• Like 1

I bought it privately, but from a lovely couple who had owned the car for nearly 10 years and seemed completely genuine and actually sad to be parting with it.

I'm 60 this year and perhaps trust my instincts too much - but they tell me (still) that it was a genuine sale and that perhaps I've disturbed something on the admittedly brisk drive back home. Anyway one way or another it will be fixed. I hope by me but if not then Lexus.

The stereo! 

Hello Chris and welcome to the LOC,hoping you find the forum educational and informative,hoping your issue isn't anything to serious and is sorted soon 👍 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OldStoat said:

Just had the car read with a cheap OBD reader - no faults found in the ECU. He cleared the memory anyway and the Hybrid light has gone out.

Happy days.

If the vehicle hadn't been used much then maybe the 12v Battery was partially discharged which can result in spurious errors being generated. Check the Battery, charge if necessary and see how it goes - hopefully the error won't return.

If it does then you need a better code reader than you read non-engine systems, specifically Toyota/Lexus codes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColinBarber said:

If the vehicle hadn't been used much then maybe the 12v battery was partially discharged which can result in spurious errors being generated. Check the battery, charge if necessary and see how it goes - hopefully the error won't return.

If it does then you need a better code reader than you read non-engine systems, specifically Toyota/Lexus codes.

Its the first car I've owned in the last 10 years that is young enough to benefit from a code reader! I've had booked it in at Lexus Norwich for £60 inspection - which I think I'll still attend. Probably money well spent.

Just having the best day! 

I bought the car privately on Saturday - Hybrid warning and VSC came on while driving back 'briskly'.

Booked it into local Lexus dealer in Norwich - quoted £60 for diagnostics.

No fault found, FOC, car washed to boot... AND the car returned > 37 mpg driving back through Norwich at 17:30 - albeit lockdown.

Thank you very much for the advice!

#BestCarIveOwned

#TopCustomerService.

• Like 3