Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's wrong with this picture?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fabulous-LS430/254608012772?hash=item3b47d1f5e4:g:kowAAOSwxDBey8is

If I had somewhere to park it I would be seriously tempted to snap that up. Seems way too good to be true though, what do we think is wrong with it? Bodged the air suspension repairs maybe?

What does, "overhauled the air suspension " mean?

Looks nice.

Needs new tyres?

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Offside Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Offside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))

To be honest I don't think it's a particular bargain, and as Piers says, I'd really want to know what sort of overhaul the suspension has had.  I had one that colour, a 51 plate with 139k and I thought I did ok getting £1,100 for it.  And I notice it's got the delamination on at least the drivers window, that would drive me nuts!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

To be honest I don't think it's a particular bargain, and as Piers says, I'd really want to know what sort of overhaul the suspension has had.  I had one that colour, a 51 plate with 139k and I thought I did ok getting £1,100 for it.  And I notice it's got the delamination on at least the drivers window, that would drive me nuts!

Interesting, why? To someone who doesn't know much about these it looks like a lot of car for not a lot of money. Loads of toys, lexus reliability, engine that is known to easily do several hundred thousand miles.. what am I missing? Are these old V8s actually secret moneypits?

1 hour ago, m4rkw said:

Interesting, why? To someone who doesn't know much about these it looks like a lot of car for not a lot of money. Loads of toys, lexus reliability, engine that is known to easily do several hundred thousand miles.. what am I missing? Are these old V8s actually secret moneypits?

I think it's worth remembering that these were cars sold to people who could afford them new and that maintenance costs didn't really concern them.  When we buy them several years down the line the cost of just one major repair could easily be far more than the car's value itself.  It's that possibility that makes these ageing limos worth so little.  Last year I replaced my suspension which cost me nearly half of what I paid for the car. You're right of course, they are a massive amount of car for little money, and if they stay that way, and certain preventative measures make that possible, they are a joy to own!  Personally I wouldn't want anything other than an LS430, and I've had the LS400 and a GS, but I know the risk, although the risk is much lower than if I had bought the German alternative.  People who condemn the LS430 are often the ones who have never even driven one, they judge by what they read, it's a poor judgement.  

• Like 1

Yes, it does look nice...

It's 19 years old, so ideally would have 19 stamps ( not just 12?).

Maybe the owner serviced it?

A look and a chat with the owner would probably answer lots of questions.

To me, more a project car because of its age, than a plug and play?

From my own air suspension experience, it either works or it doesn't.

When it doesn't, parts have to be replaced - hence my curiosity about the, 'overhaul'...

50 watchers...

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 6:39 PM, PCM said:

What does, "overhauled the air suspension " mean?

Looks nice.

Needs new tyres?

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Offside Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Offside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))

I’ve come to the conclusion that most MOT advisories are to cover the tester’s back side, a prime example is “under cover fitted” 

Take a look at part of my history from it’s 2007 MOT, those original brake hoses and discs mentioned over 13 years ago are still on the car in good condition and never been flagged up since.

Regarding the tyres OK “close to legal limit” but still legal with possibly a tracking adjustment needed. But if you were selling the car would you spend £250.00 on tyres and tracking knowing you would not recover the cost.

4FB31255-237C-41DE-8B1D-483FC0C2BADE.png

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that most MOT advisories are to cover the tester’s back side, a prime example is “under cover fitted” 

This, and also it depends a lot on whether the tester happens to work at a garage who are likely to pick up the repair work if it doesn't pass (or advisories if it does). If possible it's a good idea to go to a testing station that doesn't do repairs as they have nothing to gain by putting down stuff that isn't really necessary.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links