Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Group buy discount for the GROM Vline VL2

Hi everyone, 

I've been in touch with somebody in Canada who's active on the US forms for Lexus and we've been discussing organising a group buy together for the GROM Vline VL2. If you're unfamiliar with what this is, it's a system that adds Android to your stock Navigation screen. In addition it also adds Android Auto and apple Car Play so you can connect your phone and access navigation apps like Google Maps and Waze and also your music library and streaming apps like Spotify. Many Lexus and Toyota models are compatible with this, even older models like my LS430. The usual price for this is $600. I've been in touch with GROM and here's the prices they've quoted for a group buy:

Group buy price 5-9 $529.95
10-24 $479.95
25+ $449.95

US shipping is free but we will have to pay for shipping for us lot here in the UK. 

I'm hoping that getting us UK members as well as people in the US and Canada we'll easily find 25 people interested in this device. 

This is my first time trying to organise a group buy. For now I recommend that you comment if you're interested and if so, what price you'd be willing to pay depending on how many people we get involved. I'm sure we'll hit at least the 10 person discount, but fingers crossed we'll get at least 25 people interested.

EDIT: Just so everyone is aware, I am only collecting the information of those interested. I will not be handling your money so there's nothing to be concerned about there. Once we have a good list of names I will forward that to my contact at GROM. They will then get in touch with you and you will order from them directly. 

• Like 1

I will be interested. Obviously cheaper the better! Lol but can we order for different Lexus models? Or does it have to be the LS? 

2 minutes ago, Arqum said:

I will be interested. Obviously cheaper the better! Lol but can we order for different Lexus models? Or does it have to be the LS? 

No you can order for whatever Lexus model you have that is compatible with the VL2. The prices are the same but of course you need to order the correct one so they send the right wiring harness and what not. 

If you are interested, PM me your name, email address and year/model of your car. I'm going to make a list and once we've got enough people together I'll send them off to the contact I have at GROM.

2 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

What is the duty and VAT likely to be?

TBH I'm not sure how to figure that out, I'll try and look up what the rates are. However, I've just sent them a message to see if UK members will be able to order from the UK site or if they'll all have to come from the US. Hopefully we can and avoid any import duty. I'll update the thread once I've heard back. 

• Like 2

So I just heard back from GROM. Unfortunately group buys are handled by their US office so it will have to be shipped directly from them. I've looked it up on the gov.uk website and it looks like this will be subject to a 2.5% tax.

Interested. Saw you post on facebook.

Depends on prices though. They're £510 delivered from UK distributors. If you need to add 20%VAT and 2.5% duty, a group buy might work out more expensive.

ClubLexus deleted the post because apparently GROM has to make the post and it seems like a hassle for UK members so I'm afraid it looks like the group buy is a no-go. 

• 3 weeks later...

Their is an alternative to the Grom unit. The Vaistech SL3b is an established unit and just over half the price. 

However if all that is required is to stream music then the Yatour ytm06-toy2 is just over £100 with the necessary leads.

Hi Mark. I've not got the yatour. I've been searching things whilst I'm on furlough and came across the yatour. Its very similar to the GTA car kit which I think is no longer available. I was looking at kits specifically for the RX400h but a kit for the LS is available im sure and dead easy to fit.

well I have just looked on eBay and there are plenty listed and it seems to be exactly the same as Xcarlink but cheaper - I might take a punt on this one mainly for the handsfree function as im not a fan of phone holders

I've discovered this thread too late having now bought a used Grom VLite! (not that I can use the damn thing as getting hold of the right display harness is proving to be a bit of a hassle to say the least). 

As far as I can tell though, Grom are still the only company making a unit that uses the built in nav screen for phone mirroring...? 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/28/2020 at 6:38 PM, DruLS said:

Hi everyone, 

I've been in touch with somebody in Canada who's active on the US forms for Lexus and we've been discussing organising a group buy together for the GROM Vline VL2. If you're unfamiliar with what this is, it's a system that adds Android to your stock Navigation screen. In addition it also adds Android Auto and Apple Car Play so you can connect your phone and access navigation apps like Google Maps and Waze and also your music library and streaming apps like Spotify. Many Lexus and Toyota models are compatible with this, even older models like my LS430. The usual price for this is $600. I've been in touch with GROM and here's the prices they've quoted for a group buy:

Group buy price 5-9 $529.95
10-24 $479.95
25+ $449.95

US shipping is free but we will have to pay for shipping for us lot here in the UK. 

I'm hoping that getting us UK members as well as people in the US and Canada we'll easily find 25 people interested in this device. 

This is my first time trying to organise a group buy. For now I recommend that you comment if you're interested and if so, what price you'd be willing to pay depending on how many people we get involved. I'm sure we'll hit at least the 10 person discount, but fingers crossed we'll get at least 25 people interested.

EDIT: Just so everyone is aware, I am only collecting the information of those interested. I will not be handling your money so there's nothing to be concerned about there. Once we have a good list of names I will forward that to my contact at GROM. They will then get in touch with you and you will order from them directly. 

I'm interested in the vl2