Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alarm Issue or battery

Car was parked on the drive today when the alarm went off. When I tried to open the door,key in pocket, it wouldn't open.

Alarm kept going off much to the amusement of my family and next doors son 😀

Eventually after about 5mins I got into the car and the Battery was flat !  

The car was last driven on Wednesday and covered about 60miles. It has previously stood for weeks without being used and I have not had an issue with it starting. The alarm has also not gone off before.

Any clues as to what the issue might be ? 

I imagine the alarm was triggered by the main Battery going flat, which to the alarm looked like it was disconnected.

Assuming an interior light or something wasn't left, a 60 mile trip wouldn't have put all the charge back in from the loss of being stood for weeks, and that deep-cycle probably at least partially damaged the Battery. At this stage all you can do is recharge the Battery using a charger and check its voltage after a couple of days to see if it is holding a charge.

My Battery, which I think is the original from 2009, is showing signs of being on its last legs now I am not using the car regularly (or in fact at all in 5 weeks since I decided to SORN it 😞)

I stuck it on a charger but after 18 hours it still hadnt reached full charge which doesnt sound promising, however it is holding charge for 10 or so days so I am just running the car on the drive for 20 minutes every 10 days.

Well it’s deffo on its last legs At that age and you have had your monies worth! But it won’t get through the winter that’s for sure!

Was it an ‘intelligent’ charger? If so try it on ‘Recond’ which should only be done when it’s completely flat or once a year.

Note: it can take days to get a charge into a very discharged Battery.

I just got a new Bosch S4026 (068) for £78.50 Del from Battery Megastore (via eBay)

3 hours ago, Texas said:

Was it an ‘intelligent’ charger? If so try it on ‘Recond’ which should only be done when it’s completely flat or once a year.

You need to follow the charger's instructions. Some expect the Battery to be fully charged on normal first before running the recond/refresh cycle, others from empty.

Either way it is advisable to disconnect the vehicle from the Battery - sending higher than normal voltage pulses into the vehicle's electronics isn't recommended.

Have just replaced my Battery, 2008 and still the original, was struggling to start and HAD to be used weekly, wouldn’t “fully” charge so I replaced rather than having the issue I had of really needing it one day and it wouldn’t start......battery didn’t trigger the alarm, had to open with the key BUT alarm did trigger when charger applied (keys in pocket) 🙄......I opted for a 4 year Varta Battery, could only find Bosch n Varta that offered 4yr warranties.......manufactured in the same building by the same company.

2 minutes ago, Charliecloud said:

Just looking at the Yuasa YBX5068 - 4 yr warranty 75ah and 650 cca  £80 delivered 

I paid £66 delivered, Varta Blue E23 80ah Battery, eBay (Plymouth battery’s) from memory......same manufacturer as Bosch and from the same factory in Germany.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links