Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Underbody rust - RX400h

Hi guys,

I've looked at a few older RX400h models for sale. They seem to be a great buy.  On looking underneath a few, they look quite rusty. It might just be surface rust - rather than bad structural. Is this normal? One I looked at also had a badly corroded exhaust - before the cat - (the cat back and rear box / tailpipe had been replaced). 

Is underbody rust a thing with the older RX?

With one car I have been looking at, I investigated the MOT history - and it was noted in the advisories that there was underbody rust. 

I'm thinking if I get one, I'll get it treated underneath. Thoughts on treatments? Waxoil / Dinitrol etc?

One other question - I'm thinking if I do get one, I might get a stainless exhaust made up.  Is it right that Hybrid vehicles do not have MOT emmissions tests?  I'm thinking it's cheaper to go without the middle cat (as there's two cats on each of the manifolds already?).  Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

James, Manchester

The series II RX unfortunately doesn't have great undersealing from the factory - well not good enough to last over 10 years without deteriorating. Depending on severity it could may just be the start and surface rust but it will lead to more serious issues over time.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, James Lucop said:

One other question - I'm thinking if I do get one, I might get a stainless exhaust made up.  Is it right that Hybrid vehicles do not have MOT emmissions tests?  I'm thinking it's cheaper to go without the middle cat (as there's two cats on each of the manifolds already?).  Thoughts?

Others have done the same and passed the MOT.