Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuchs Titan is a good oil so you should be good with that. They are very reputable and in my experience the Titan range of products are widely used in industry.

The first time I became aware of low coolant was when I was stopped in traffic on a warm day and from inside the car I could hear the rad fans running at higher speed than normal.Usually you cannot hear them. I thought the heating early that morning was not great so I investigated. I found the level in the tank was slightly above the low mark so this surprised me. I topped the coolant up and it took about 3 litres with the heating system on and the bleed valve opened. I then found the leak on the top of the rad where the rad tank aluminium seam is crimped to the plastic. I was surprised I had no coolant alert but there doesn't seem to be one. Use ultra caution when closing the plastic bleed valve as the whole assembly is plastic. It really just needs to be closed not tightened in any way otherwise the housing will break.

1 hour ago, TyrannosauRoss Lex said:

Thank you very much for your insight RE the radiator

Ross, you will find a much earlier post I made on here about the radiator, gearbox issue.

I met a local guy with his Ls460

He had this issue on his Ls430 and it wrote the car off.

He had exactly the same issue with his " new " invincible Ls460 BUT he managed to save the gearbox at a cost of £3500 ( I think )

The good policy is to change the radiator stuff every 100k miles to be sure

Malc

1 hour ago, TyrannosauRoss Lex said:

OK thanks for your input everyone. I will get the radiator changed as a precaution when it goes in for its MOT, it's due mid-November so it will be done by then. The car is on around 104k miles at the moment.

I had mine done at 105k, last year. The Lexus mechanic said the old one showed signs of stress around the oil cooler connections.