Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Having replaced all the shock absorbers ( KYB ) and got rid of the knocking noise, I now find that road noise is very intrusive from most road surfaces except newly laid smooth tarmac!

Is this from the tyres?

What is the least noisy tyres fro the 2005 GS300 mk3? - Landsail?

Appreciate any input from more experience owners.

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, J88TEO said:

Having replaced all the shock absorbers ( KYB ) and got rid of the knocking noise, I now find that road noise is very intrusive from most road surfaces except newly laid smooth tarmac!

Is this from the tyres?

Thanks.

My wheels are;

17x50x225 Kumho All Weather and the ride is silent.

Yours Joe ?

1 hour ago, J88TEO said:

Is this from the tyres?

Thanks.

Everyone will have a different opinion. Landsail are budget tyres but I do know they are a good budget tyre.  For years now I've bought Avons, I find them not only quiet, but brilliant wet grip.  Like I say, we've all got our own tyre stories.

Landsail are very quiet tyres on the GS, and excellent in the wet. They also seem to have good tread life.
I have also in the past found Goodyear Efficientgrip performance tyres to be very quiet, but sadly lacking in tyre ware life only lasting 16,000 miles on a set of 4 on my GS450H.  I would expect at leased 25,000 miles considering they are twice the price of the Landsails so not good value.

John.

• Like 1

Apparently it does! I'd always assumed that Goodyear just made quieter / softer tyres but I changed the profile to 19" and then Dunlops were significantly quieter. You live and learn!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

Apparently it does! I'd always assumed that Goodyear just made quieter / softer tyres but I changed the profile to 19" and then Dunlops were significantly quieter. You live and learn!

Welcome to the World of learning Mark---we all do it in some way each day.

I wonder if your Goodyear are run-flats?

I have always thought that a smaller wheel say 16  a higher profile,say 65  and non run-flats, gives a softer and quieter ride.

Let`s see what others say.

1 hour ago, m4rkw said:

Dunlops are made by Goodyear.

John.

20 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

My wheels are;

17x50x225 Kumho All Weather and the ride is silent.

Yours Joe ?

Hi John,

Thanks.

Tyres are a mix bunch! 2 Runways at the front, a toledo and a Nexen at the back!

245/40/18s all round.

Time I get rid of these...

Thanks everyone. Appreciate all your inputs and recommendations.

I will look into getting all 4 tryes replaced and sort out the TPMS at the same time...

11 minutes ago, J88TEO said:

Thanks everyone. Appreciate all your inputs and recommendations.

I will look into getting all 4 tryes replaced and sort out the TPMS at the same time...

Joe, A 40 profile with 18 wheels will produce a firmer and noisier ride !

Consider 18x 50 or55

If you change the profile without changing the diameter you could run into trouble with the speedometer and odometer accuracy. Not to mention ones insurer if using tyre sizes not specified in the handbook.

• Like 1

As mentioned in another post, I did a 120+ mile journey earlier in the day and the tyre noise are decent on smooth motorways. But when the road surface is rough the noise is terrible.

Since tyres have plenty of life in them will keep until time to change.

Thanks for all your input and will bear these in mind when changing tyres.

8 minutes ago, J88TEO said:

As mentioned in another post, I did a 120+ mile journey earlier in the day and the tyre noise are decent on smooth motorways. But when the road surface is rough the noise is terrible.

There are some sections of the M25 that make a loud noise in my car, from junction 10 clockwise is not well surfaced in places as I recall. A few times we've been heading that way and my wife has asked me if there's something wrong with the car. Really hard to know if what you're experiencing is actually excessive or just normal given the road surface. Have you tried riding in a friend's car on the same section of road that gives you grief?

Well, having gone over the smoother sections of the M25 it seems that the road surface may be the problem and not the tyres.

Will try out more stretches in the coming weeks to conform. And as you suggest, ride in a friend's car to see the difference.

11 minutes ago, J88TEO said:

Well, having gone over the smoother sections of the M25 it seems that the road surface may be the problem and not the tyres.

Will try out more stretches in the coming weeks to conform. And as you suggest, ride in a friend's car to see the difference.

Don`t forget Joe that having a "mixed bunch of tyres and a 40 profile" will not be doing you any favours.

If the friend`s car is not a GS 300 Mk3 then that will not help you either.

21 minutes ago, J88TEO said:

John,

That's true.

I will consider 45 profile comes the time.

I agree if not in the GS then the comparison is of no value.

Thanks.

45 will not be enough Joe.It will produce a harder and noisier ride and will encourage kerbing. I have 50 on the GS and 55 on the Merc.

However I am an increasingly older fart, so whatever floats your boat Joe.

Don`t forget to report back when you have found your nirvana !