Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2020 RX450h wifi hotspot password

The 2020 RX has a builtin wifi hotspot and the car will connect to it but I've no idea what the password is for connecting other devices such as a laptop. I can't seem to find it anywhere in the menus, does anyone know where it is on UK spec RX?

Dealer doesn't seem to know at the moment (I think I might be the first to ask about this) and most of the how-to guides are for the older models.

There is supposed to be a 6 month 24Gb package with the car but I can't find anything on the website other than in the current RX brochure (which unhelpfully says see terms and conditions for more details) and I've no idea on pricing to extend it out.

At one level I don't particularly care as I have Mifi style dongle or use my phone but I'm intrigued to know more.

The details are meant to be stuck on the side of the glovebox which you can see when opened if fitted correctly. I don't believe these are fitted in the factory, more on import so hopefully they follow the installation procedures correctly.

1886084041_Screenshot2020-06-02at22_04_21.thumb.png.e0ff5739c5ef191a30d87bc1097a161a.png

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

The details are meant to be stuck on the side of the glovebox which you can see when opened if fitted correctly. I don't believe these are fitted in the factory, more on import so hopefully they follow the installation procedures correctly.

1886084041_Screenshot2020-06-02at22_04_21.thumb.png.e0ff5739c5ef191a30d87bc1097a161a.png

Ah I bet it's on the side of the glovebox you can't see from the drivers seat and my passenger side door is blocked (well it's possible if I risk some scratches) without moving the car. I'll have a look when I next drive somewhere.

Thanks.

Okay as suspected the wi-fi password is on the side of the glove box, the installation manual for the wi-fi box is "AIM 004 691 - 2" which I found on the Lexus tech website.

The wifi box lives in the boot on the drivers side:

4GWifi.thumb.jpg.d37f072a24a98c9afc81c101b16caa9b.jpg4GWifiPassword.thumb.jpg.9ac9739031b38dc62e5fd4c35ebaa3c6.jpg

Once I'd logged into the wi-fi hotspot I got a welcome page which says Lexus Link needs to be setup before the wi-fi is enabled, Lexus seemed to be having a bit of an issue with Lexus Link (dealer thinks this is now sorted) at the moment, so I may need to chase with the dealer if it doesn't sort itself out over the next few days.

What's confusing is the US enform system is totally different so most of the Youtube how to get started videos don't match up at all.

1 hour ago, PeterI said:

What's confusing is the US enform system is totally different so most of the Youtube how to get started videos don't match up at all.

Yes the infotainment systems on US Lexus vehicles is completely different to European ones.

• 5 months later...

I had exactly the same problem except there was no sticker on the Glove Box.

If you go in the boot, lift the carpet and the floor covering to reveal the spare wheel, there is a cubby hole on the right hand side.  This houses the router.  There is a sticker on the side of the router which has the pass key on it.  Its only small and as I'm 60 and need glasses, i needed to photograph it and then enlarge!  Hope this helps.  It was driving me nuts and the dealership had no idea!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul-G said:

If you go in the boot, lift the carpet and the floor covering to reveal the spare wheel, there is a cubby hole on the right hand side.  This houses the router.  There is a sticker on the side of the router which has the pass key on it.  Its only small and as I'm 60 and need glasses, i needed to photograph it and then enlarge!  Hope this helps.  It was driving me nuts and the dealership had no idea!

Odd there was no sticker. But my dealership was a bit useless on this front too. I suspect Covid screwed up some timelines at some point so they never got training properly. Next time I get a chance I might check mine to see if the sticker is actually there in the boot, might just be someone put it in the wrong place. Taking a photo is definitely the way forward particularly for stuff that is difficult to access.

Also it took forever (a couple of months) for Lexus to get the website wired up to the EE back end that actually provides service so I could actually enable service. Again the dealer was a bit useless here but as I say I suspect a lack of training rather than idiocy.

3 hours ago, Paul-G said:

It is strange that your dealer isn’t aware of the WiFi box even though the six months free data usage is contained in the RX sales brochure. You need to register on the Lexus link app on AppStore if you’re a I Phone user. The set up is straight forward. 
once the six months free data subscription is finished, you can either insert a data only SIM card into the box or use your personal phone as hotspot if you have sufficient data allowance on your phone contract 

6DE755D5-CCAD-4820-8394-C68C945215B7.png

Tomorrow or Saturday, I’ll be using the WiFi in the car to update the maps OTA!  I’ll see how it compares to downloading the maps to a memory stick and then running the engine for an hour.

77D025AC-D5AB-4C1D-96AF-0EBC10CC052B.jpeg

5 hours ago, Habu said:

Tomorrow or Saturday, I’ll be using the WiFi in the car to update the maps OTA!  I’ll see how it compares to downloading the maps to a memory stick and then running the engine for an hour.

77D025AC-D5AB-4C1D-96AF-0EBC10CC052B.jpeg

Hi Habu, have you questioned your dealer why your brand new car didn’t come with the latest map, and you are having to resort to updating it yourself?. 
Do you have to pay for the update or is it a free download?

5 hours ago, Fatts said:

Hi Habu, have you questioned your dealer why your brand new car didn’t come with the latest map, and you are having to resort to updating it yourself?. 
Do you have to pay for the update or is it a free download?

The maps downloads are free for three years.  There’s usually 2 updates per year - spring and autumn.  I’ll be speaking with him today on another matter so I’ll be raising it with him.

Well, over the air map download was a breeze.  No downloading stuff onto sticks, it’s just check map and update if required.  50 minutes later I’m done.  Not sure if firmware updates are done OTA.  Been good if they were.

On 11/20/2020 at 12:52 PM, Habu said:

Well, over the air map download was a breeze.  No downloading stuff onto sticks, it’s just check map and update if required.  50 minutes later I’m done.  Not sure if firmware updates are done OTA.  Been good if they were.

Hi Habu, how far did you get to unraveling the 6 months free WiFi in the booth. Have you connected to it or just using your phone WiFi hotspot  Am due to pick my RX Takumi tomorrow hence wanted to be sure what questions I should be asking the dealer.

16 minutes ago, Fatts said:

Hi Habu, how far did you get to unraveling the 6 months free WiFi in the booth. Have you connected to it or just using your phone WiFi hotspot  Am due to pick my RX Takumi tomorrow hence wanted to be sure what questions I should be asking the dealer.

Not much further I’m afraid.  I spoke with Lexus UK who advised that it’s the centre who should have sorted out the WiFi subscription.  My app still says WiFi subscription is being processed.  I’m not overly bothered as it’s only me in the car and my Iphone has a tonne of data per month but I know the centre wants to get it sorted as the parent company - RMB - aren’t paying them as there’s an outstanding issue with the car.

Worth checking your car for the map data.  My centre must have applied the map data albeit 2019 v2 although it was easy to update to 2020 v1 over the air.

You’ll need to wait until your V5C arrives in the post to complete some of the setup procedure.

I’ve also noted that my Lexus Link has stopped displaying trips I’ve made.  Only the collection day is recorded.  My centre and Lexus UK are looking into this.

Thanks I have spoken to Lexus Ipswich about the Navigation map and they assured me they have checked it and it is a 2020. 
We’ll see about the WiFi issue once I get there tomorrow. But it seems most people probably aren’t aware of it’s existence in the first place 

Picked up the new RX Takumi today and the drive home was way beyond my expectations and a marked difference from my previous FSport. I will give a fuller assessment after a couple of days.

520B318A-E434-4F38-8EB9-2F42CA72103A.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Finally got the Lexus WiFi account to work; the set up completed by Lexus Hatfield. I will use the free subscription for six months and see if it’s worth buying the paid subscription 

11 hours ago, Fatts said:

Finally got the Lexus WiFi account to work; the set up completed by Lexus Hatfield. I will use the free subscription for six months and see if it’s worth buying the paid subscription 

The paid subscription is expensive so I’ll stick with just using my Iphone.

3D0CDA28-B538-4049-84CB-4A21BC422531.png

Hi Peter ; am still assessing the in-car hotspot; so far it connects seamlessly. 
when I am leaving the house Car play connects via the home WiFi. I personally use Spotify a lot for music listening; thus the idea of having on the tap WiFi does suit me. And for Spotify all that is required is just one off download when you start up the car outside of one’s home WiFi range thus the Lexus 2GB package @ £8/ month is not too bad in the scheme of things. 
Did your dealership manage to set up the Lexus free WiFi for you in the end?

Yeah they did. I have a feeling that I was one of the first to go through the process (or at least that iteration).

My phone has unlimited data (5G) but then each time I got in I'd need to remember to setup the wifi hotspot on the phone as it turns itself off when nothing connects.

There are two bits of car functionailty that I'm finding somewhat useful that I suspect rely on wifi:

a) Lexuslink Battery status and car finder
b) Sat nav traffic information

I also have the car registered on the home wifi so the Battery status bit (I check regularly in these Covid times) might not require the subscription and the traffic I could probably get using my phone on longer trips. I'm not quite sure how often the Lexus Link stuff gets an update I have feeling it's overnight. Basically when it drops to "critical" (Seems to be around every two weeks) I take the car for a quick drive on a motorway which seems to top things up. The car is on a driveway so I can't easily charge the Battery.

Once the "freebie" bit is over I might subscribe to the lowest level and use a phone as hot spot when travelling longer distances. I like the integration between the in car sat nav and the HUD so there is a little bit of value there.

I can't wait for all this covid stuff to be over so we can go and visit folks.

• Like 1

I echo everything you’ve said Peter Yes I bet we all want the Covid lockdown boredom to be over and we can get our lives back. But than God we are all safe. Am waiting to take the vaccine when it gets to my age band. 
Regarding the Car’s HUD display, I have just left it as set by the dealership, I use the CarPlay map most of the time hence not sure if that can be projected via the HUD 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

New to this forum, but have read the problems with the Lexus Wi-Fi 

I am having a nightmare with trying to top up with a Wi-Fi subscription, I have apparently used my allowance within 4 months !

Not sure how that has happened! as I only play music from my phone and receive emails.

anyhow, I have tried to set up a subscription using Lexus link, but after inputting my card details it says

"something went wrong while doing the purchase" (not grammar I know)then just hangs.

Has anyone on here completed a subscription to, I think its EE, and managed to carry on being connected to wi-fi or is this a bigger problem for Lexus UK

Hi Dave;  another forum member posted this message previously “ the number to ring at Lexus connectivity is 01737 367026 i think there are two lads who handle this service jack and Craig I'm sure theywill help you if they cant they will know someone who can, give em a go hope this helps and good luck. 

• Thanks 1