Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2020 RX450h wifi hotspot password

On 2/18/2021 at 12:38 PM, Dave Malia said:

Hi all

New to this forum, but have read the problems with the Lexus Wi-Fi 

I am having a nightmare with trying to top up with a Wi-Fi subscription, I have apparently used my allowance within 4 months !

Not sure how that has happened! as I only play music from my phone and receive emails.

anyhow, I have tried to set up a subscription using Lexus link, but after inputting my card details it says

"something went wrong while doing the purchase" (not grammar I know)then just hangs.

Has anyone on here completed a subscription to, I think its EE, and managed to carry on being connected to wi-fi or is this a bigger problem for Lexus UK

HI I am having the same problem on my NX the subscription service is not working and Lexus Customer service have been working on this for a month. 

Hi All,

I also have an open query with the Multimedia customer relations team on this (who are very helpful but of course they are at the mercy of those who actually run the service).  Apparently I missed out on the free internet subscription by about 3 days... and when I try to purchase a subscription, no matter what I try, the system cannot validate my identity.  

Did anyone have any look getting through that stage?

Paul

6 hours ago, PDM said:

Hi All,

I also have an open query with the Multimedia customer relations team on this (who are very helpful but of course they are at the mercy of those who actually run the service).  Apparently I missed out on the free internet subscription by about 3 days... and when I try to purchase a subscription, no matter what I try, the system cannot validate my identity.  

Did anyone have any look getting through that stage?

Paul

Paul like you I struggled at that stage trying to do the registration myself, the difficult bit is the selfie photo. So I ended up going to my local Lexus dealer who helped to sort that stage out.

Thanks, Banji.  I may need to resort to that. Yesterday (on the 50th try overall?) I managed to get my identity validated with the right combination of photos.  "Finally!" I thought... but... then... not so fast.  It then failed me on the next page that asks for your address!  I have updated the ever patient multimedia team and will see if anything comes back before I visit the dealer to get some new tyres on my wife's car on Tuesday.

If I find anything more concrete about how to guide this this thing through I'll post more info...

The multimedia team is well aware that this process is not good enough and are hoping significant improvements can be made.

Paul

• 1 month later...

I have a RX450 F-Sport Takumi - it's my third Lexus RX and my second F-Sport. The car is 18months old and I purchased it 1st April.  I can't get the Multimedia to save my Iphone 11 Pro Max to remember my password.  As the car was delivered in lockdown I had very little introduction to the car and nearly all the YouTube information is based on US cars NOT UK/European clips.  Thew dealer has fobbed me off somewhat as the dealers is a a good 2.5hrs away. Lexus Customer Relations put the blame on apple

None of this helps - I have US and European clients which I need to contact using WhatsApp - I could do this in my 2015 F-Sport but NOT in my current RX450 .

Does anybody have the same issues or  a solution?

Hi Trevor,

My understanding is that since ios13 (or perhaps 14?), apple have changed the wifi implementation and this stops the car from capturing a key shared when joining an apple wifi hotspot.  Hence the car cannot remember an apple wifi hotspot and you need to retype the password each time you connect.  Im pretty sure I have seen a response from Lexus copied into one of the posts somewhere on here with regards to this issue.  

I believe your current options are to either use another wifi hotspot (not Apple) or contact Lexus customer relations and try to push for a fix.  I would have thought many people would be annoyed by this one so a fix could be forthcoming with sufficient complaints made  On rereading your post it sounds like you have already contacted customer relations.

Incidently we have the same problem on my wife's 2015 NX, so this issue is effecting vehicles over several model years and multimedia system generations. Sorry I do not have a better solution to suggest.

Does your car have a built in wifi hotspot you could use?

Paul

• 5 months later...

When I bought my RXL in March 2020, the salesman said that when the initial free wifi ran out (which it has), I would need to buy a new prepaid SIM card. I have looked at the router in the boot but there is no slot to put a SIM card into. Should I assume that he didn't know what he was talking about and I need to subscribe through Lexus. I have a huge data allowance on my Iphone so can I use the system to create wifi via the phone. I have checked all over the internet and cannot find anything that helps

5 minutes ago, Tony Cousins said:

When I bought my RXL in March 2020, the salesman said that when the initial free wifi ran out (which it has), I would need to buy a new prepaid SIM card. I have looked at the router in the boot but there is no slot to put a SIM card into. Should I assume that he didn't know what he was talking about and I need to subscribe through Lexus. I have a huge data allowance on my iphone so can I use the system to create wifi via the phone. I have checked all over the internet and cannot find anything that helps

Tony,

You are right - there is no sim slot.  It's an E-sim on Orange UK and cannot be set to another provider (at least not by you).  You need to buy through Lexus if you want more data on that device.  You can also use your Iphone but you will need to tether over Bluetooth as there is an incompatibility with the Lexus system remembering wifit hotspot passwords on apple devices.

Thanks,

Paul

• 5 months later...

Had a new RX Takumi delivered 18th March 2022. After many attempts by dealer to get wifi hotspot working they found that 117 vehicles have been delivered to the UK without the router due to chip shortages. Not a happy bunny! They are hoping to get a retrofit unit. 

37 minutes ago, Trevorph said:

Had a new RX Takumi delivered 18th March 2022. After many attempts by dealer to get wifi hotspot working they found that 117 vehicles have been delivered to the UK without the router due to chip shortages. Not a happy bunny! They are hoping to get a retrofit unit. 

Trevor,

Is the wiring loom in place?

Paul

2 hours ago, Trevorph said:

Why bother?

OK, I know it should have a router and it hasn't so that's not good. But even if it did, it would be locked to one network and you'd be paying well over the odds for a small data allowance, so look at it as a narrow escape :thumbsup:

On the other hand, you could buy your own router (link just FYI, not actually recommending any) which would be unlocked to any network. You could then get a data only SIM something like this one (again, link only FYI) that currently works out at 10GB data per month for the equivalent of £4.17 per month. Because the router is unlocked, once that SIM expires you can then look around for some other deal, even on a different network.

1 hour ago, PDM said:

Trevor,

Is the wiring loom in place?

Paul

Hi Paul, fortunately yes so they should be able to get one in due course. One old post suggested you can fit your own SIM but there seems so little detail out there even as to what apps you can use on the move. I've got Android Auto working through the USB port but I hate having leads dragged from the arm rest through to where you can mount the mobile (inside the arm rest signal strength was poor). There is a Motorola MA1 dongle due out shortly that will make the mobile connection wireless which will be worth buying.

9 minutes ago, Trevorph said:

Hi Paul, fortunately yes so they should be able to get one in due course. One old post suggested you can fit your own SIM but there seems so little detail out there even as to what apps you can use on the move. I've got Android Auto working through the USB port but I hate having leads dragged from the arm rest through to where you can mount the mobile (inside the arm rest signal strength was poor). There is a Motorola MA1 dongle due out shortly that will make the mobile connection wireless which will be worth buying.

Hi Trevor,

Note that (as Herbie suggests above) you cannot install your own sim in the Lexus wifi hotspot (you could in the old ones, but not the new ones).  The models that were shipping in the RX are locked to Orange (which is odd as the brand is no longer in use in the UK?) via an e-sim.

You could, however, install your own wifi hostpot again, as Herbie suggests).  Or you could use the hotspot on your phone.  I am probably one of the few people around here who do actually use the Lexus hotspot and pay a subscription for it.  I don't like having the hotspot on my phone switched on (it drains the battery) and I frequently fail to switch it on and off in the car.  Hence I like the in car hotspot (and my son's ipad tethers to it on long journeys etc).  

Without a hotspot you will be missing the basic features on Lexus Link (like locating your car, journey analysis etc) and being able to send destinations to the car, and the Radly internet radio (which I think work over the built in hotspot without a subscription).  I guess these features will work with a different brand of hotspot (or your phone), but, as you say, you should not need to have to do this!

Finally, and sorry for the long post, I have been disappointed by android auto.  What I would really like is to be able to join conference calls via AA (voice only of course) but this does not work.  As I don't use spotify, the only reason for me to use AA is to get google maps.  This may, be worth it, depending on how much you like (hate?) the inbuilt navigation!  I have not yet tried a wireless AA adapter (as you say, Motorola are about to release one) and always just plug in if I need it.  I would be interested to know how well the Motorola one works though, so please let us know if you get one.

(In case you are new to this iteration of the Lexus multimedia system).... Regarding the inbuilt navigation: never do over the air map updates: it breaks speed camera notifications.  Always update the complete map database from a USB stick.

Happy driving.

Paul

P.S. I wonder what your dealer did to try to get the hostpot working, when it was not even there! 🙂

Hi Trevor

I collected my RX Takumi on the 22nd March so it would have come as part of the same batch as yours. 
The router can be found under a small hatch in the booth once you lift up the spare wheel cover  see picture 

The Lexus subscription set up is however a bit more tricky as you have to set it up on the app , take your photo and set up direct debit subscription for minimum £8/month 

As others have said the Lexus subscription at 2G for £8/ month is not really value for money I signed up for it for like three months on my previous car but have not bothered to activate on this current car. I simply use my phone data allowance.

35 minutes ago, PDM said:

I don't like having the hotspot on my phone switched on (it drains the battery) and I frequently fail to switch it on and off in the car. 

I appreciate the reasons why you don't want to use your phone as a wifi hotspot, but it's worth mentioning an app called MacroDroid.

I currently use Sky as my mobile phone provider and any unused data from one month rolls over to use in the next month. I'm not sure if there's any limit on the number of 'rollovers' but I can say that I currently have 60GB of data allowance in my 'data piggybank', which is why I'm using my phone as the wifi hotspot for my Grom Vline.

As you'll see from the screenshot below, I created two macros in MacroDroid. The first one detects when my phone connects with the OEM Lexus Bluetooth, which then triggers the phone's wifi hotspot to switch on. The second one detects when I switch the car off and the connection to Lexus Bluetooth drops, which then triggers the wifi hotspot to switch off as well.

It works perfectly and MacroDroid is very versatile and can be used to automate lots of things.

macrodroid.thumb.jpg.9dfc19728e81ddc7dbc0673f02a6bc5d.jpg

4 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I appreciate the reasons why you don't want to use your phone as a wifi hotspot, but it's worth mentioning an app called MacroDroid.

I currently use Sky as my mobile phone provider and any unused data from one month rolls over to use in the next month. I'm not sure if there's any limit on the number of 'rollovers' but I can say that I currently have 60GB of data allowance in my 'data piggybank', which is why I'm using my phone as the wifi hotspot for my Grom Vline.

As you'll see from the screenshot below, I created two macros in MacroDroid. The first one detects when my phone connects with the OEM Lexus Bluetooth, which then triggers the phone's wifi hotspot to switch on. The second one detects when I switch the car off and the connection to Lexus Bluetooth drops, which then triggers the wifi hotspot to switch off as well.

It works perfectly and MacroDroid is very versatile and can be used to automate lots of things.

macrodroid.thumb.jpg.9dfc19728e81ddc7dbc0673f02a6bc5d.jpg

Hi Herbie,

that's neat, thanks. I was aware of such automation on apple but had never looked on Android.

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 5:01 PM, Fatts said:

Picked up the new RX Takumi today and the drive home was way beyond my expectations and a marked difference from my previous FSport. I will give a fuller assessment after a couple of days.

520B318A-E434-4F38-8EB9-2F42CA72103A.jpeg

Hello. any place I can find your assessment on the differences between FSport and Takumi ?

Cheers

Hi Talapwros - the comparison may be on another thread. Certainly not here. Apar from the obvious physical features (such as alloy wheels, different grille and different interior fixtures) the major difference is the Fsport has taughtier suspension with AVS which is not fitted to the Takumi . The Takumi has more sumptuous ride.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fatts said:

Hi Talapwros - the comparison may be on another thread. Certainly not here. Apar from the obvious physical features (such as alloy wheels, different grille and different interior fixtures) the major difference is the Fsport has taughtier suspension with AVS which is not fitted to the Takumi . The Takumi has more sumptuous ride.

thanks

Based on that though Build and Configure Your RX | Lexus UK

if you download the pdf, it says that Takumi has AVS fitted as standard !

( as has panoramic roof although not on the pdf, looks as it is in my order form, priced as £0)

You are right I‘be checked again the Takumi does have AVS but driving it in real life it doesn’t  feel as stiff when thrown into corners say @(50mph) as compared to the Fsport under the same driving conditions. I personally prefer the Takumi hence I have bought two in succession. Happy driving when you take delivery.

Edited by Fatts
Spellcheck
  • Like 1