Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

More Bleedin' Expense, Will it ever end?

Just put my 2000 Mk4  through its Mot,yesterday, I had an advisory on a slightly worn rear tyre.

Last year I had an advisory on a defective reversing light bulb.

It's  just one thing after another with these Lexus cars!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, moonraker58 said:

Just put my 2000 Mk4  through its Mot,yesterday, I had an advisory on a slightly worn rear tyre.

Last year I had an advisory on a defective reversing light bulb.

It's  just one thing after another with these Lexus cars!

What a money pit, I think you should sell it while you can, better still dump it down a country lane somewhere.

• Haha 1

I share your pain. In the last 2.5 years my exhaust heatshield fell off, had to pay for 30mins labour to have it re-attached. It's a living nightmare.

• Like 1

Just had a thought.

Get all the Top Gear crew who dissed the Ls 400 at the time back to the  Nurburgring  track with 20 year old equivalent  Beemers,Mercs et al and an Ls 400 and see which performs best after 20 laps.

I know which one I would put my money on! 

• Like 3

It’s alright for you LS owners but ltry running a 2006 RX350. This year, additional to servicing it cost me £10 for new positive Battery terminal cover, after only 14 years!  OK, I’ll get back to the RX forum now, just wanted you to know how costly Lexus SUV's can get as they reach middle age.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just blown £929 into my wife's 2015 fiat 500 with 17000 miles. MOT, major service with cambelt change (required after 4years). 

Oh there was an advisory on front tyres so I decided to fit Michelin Cross Climates all round which accounted for £360.

My last 2015 RX450h cost £695 for the big 60000 service. 

Funny how all cars these days seem to cost similar amounts to maintain 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Connoisseur said:

It’s alright for you LS owners but ltry running a 2006 RX350. This year, additional to servicing it cost me £10 for new positive battery terminal cover, after only 14 years!  OK, I’ll get back to the RX forum now, just wanted you to know how costly Lexus SUV's can get as they reach middle age.....

You're not alone. I have to put fuel in my GS. Bloody money pit it is.

• Haha 1

You're all lucky, when I were tut lad, I ad to pay mill owner for privilege of sleeping in tut boot of my LS, and he woke me up with tut quick whack using cranking 'andle from Austin Cambridge. Them were days, and I could barely afford to put 1 pint of petrol in tank for trip to wash 'ouse never mind worrying 'bout state of tyres!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My LS 430 at 70,000 miles needed a oxygen lambda sensor at £295 supplied and fitted. It also needed petrol, and some new tyres after 44,000 miles of me driving it.

My previous Toyota Prius need a headlight bulb and a side light bulb after 70,000 miles.

There is a serious point here. Are we 'old', 1995-2005 drivers going through a 'golden' period when stuff was well made and very little plastic used.

I fear a new Lexus LS is a shadow of the past.

22 minutes ago, MLW said:

My LS 430 at 70,000 miles needed a oxygen lambda sensor at £295 supplied and fitted. It also needed petrol, and some new tyres after 44,000 miles of me driving it.

My previous Toyota Prius need a headlight bulb and a side light bulb after 70,000 miles.

There is a serious point here. Are we 'old', 1995-2005 drivers going through a 'golden' period when stuff was well made and very little plastic used.

I fear a new Lexus LS is a shadow of the past.

Michael, did you get 44000 miles out of a set of tyres. I have Michelin Primacy on mine with 20000 miles and they look new.

• Like 1

I fitted HIDs in my headlights about 8 years ago, passed it’s MOT every year without comments and just got the odd flash from oncoming traffic.

The ballast packs however had broken free and remounting them was a pain so I decided to refit the original bulbs which I had saved. With traces of the factory applied  brown grease still present on them I carefully installed them and low and behold they were still working after 25 years.

If only Lexus made washing machines!

I’m in pursuit of a chocolate cream,  Biscuit anyone?

A1ADB4A4-5318-4248-9F82-3EEA30A7E873.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, ROYT said:

You think you've got problems, after a trip to France I had to top up the screenwash...

I just checked my screenwash and was shocked to find it low. This is appalling, what is wrong with their engineers?

16 hours ago, MLW said:

I'd say yes. That said, you'd still have bother with a 95-05 Merc, BMW, Volvo, Saab etc. I think at this time the Japanese manufacturers were at the top of their game. The new stuff that doesn't involve any cross manufacturer input is still pretty good though.

The comment above about the Fiat needing a cambelt after 4 years I find absolutely shocking.

10 hours ago, m4rkw said:

I just checked my screenwash and was shocked to find it low. This is appalling, what is wrong with their engineers?

Shocking omission from Lexus. Should have fabricated a gutter under windscreen scuttle to autofill the screen wash when it rains!

James