Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Self Diagnosis Screen self test on the SC 430

ThomasD94

hey everyone,

I am having an issue where my audio is intermittent for the radio, works perfectly well for sat nav voice.
I was wondering if you guys have tried the self diagnosis screen on the SC 430? I have looked at multiple threads from the Prius to the LS about turning the lights on and off 3 times/ pressing the display button on etc. However, I am still struggling to access this screen?

If anyone has any suggestions for my '04 SC430 I would be most grateful!

Thanks in advance, Thomas 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

easier to press the screen when the brightness/contrast settings are displayed.

1312970677_Screenshot2020-06-04at21_47_34.thumb.png.21fbe5089edbfe26ba0acef5e35a8636.png

press top left, then press bottom left three times.

Thank you I will give that a try!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rich1068 said:

On my GS it's (I think) ignition on, hold info, flick lights between off and sidelights 3 times.

Cheers I tried it this morning but no luck with the SC, worked fine on my IS though!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neil E said:

Is it intermittent for the radio and the CD/tape or does it not work at all?

It is the sound coming from the speakers as far as I can see/hear. The radio unit itself switches between stations and cd etc fine. The aerial goes up and down accordingly, the sat nav voice works fine. 
The issue seems to be getting the speakers to play audio. I ripped the car out yesterday to reach the amp and fuse boxes. (I have been researching this issue for a couple of days but I am no further forward)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

easier to press the screen when the brightness/contrast settings are displayed.

1312970677_Screenshot2020-06-04at21_47_34.thumb.png.21fbe5089edbfe26ba0acef5e35a8636.png

press top left, then press bottom left three times.

Interesting. I recall now seeing something like this for RX. Then promptly forgot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Interesting. I recall now seeing something like this for RX. Then promptly forgot.

Yeah I just tried it on my 2005 RX 300 and it came up first time no issues displaying the screen. Sadly it still doesn't work for the SC430, I think there must be a different sequence of events to activate it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasD94 said:

Yeah I just tried it on my 2005 RX 300 and it came up first time no issues displaying the screen. Sadly it still doesn't work for the SC430, I think there must be a different sequence of events to activate it...

Try this:

• Like 2

Hi Thomas, the hacks are good to know but the Navi screen has very little to do with the audio.

The audio head unit sends the signal to the amp and the amp sends it to the speakers.

Are all of the radio fuses okay and does the Mark Levinson/Harmon Amplifier turn on? You could post a vid of what happens when you turn on the head unit. Maybe we can tell a bit more from that? Does the aerial go up when you switch on the radio and do the balance and fade controls register on the head unit screen?

• Like 2

Hi Thomas, I've seen the vid, the head unit looks okay. Have you replaced the radio fuses? I would check/replace the 30A audio fuse in the engine bay and look carefully at the connection to the ML amp in the boot. Try the balance/fader knob on the head unit. If that doesn't produce anything on the head unit display then it points to a connection failure to the amp or an amp issue. 

I think this explains what you were trying to do but I'm not sure how much of it works on the later versions. 

https://www.wikihow.com/Override-Lexus-Navigation-Motion-Lock

Let me know the amp part number, I may have a free spare. I think it's supposed to be 86280 - 0W070 ?  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Neil E said:

Hi Thomas, I've seen the vid, the head unit looks okay. Have you replaced the radio fuses? I would check/replace the 30A audio fuse in the engine bay and look carefully at the connection to the ML amp in the boot. Try the balance/fader knob on the head unit. If that doesn't produce anything on the head unit display then it points to a connection failure to the amp or an amp issue. 

I think this explains what you were trying to do but I'm not sure how much of it works on the later versions. 

Let me know the amp part number, I may have a free spare. I think it's supposed to be 86280 - 0W070 ?  

Hi again,

Thanks for watching, yeah I changed the 10A and 30A radio fuses already. I have pulled the ML amp out of the boot and put it back in. Thanks, I am actually struggling to adjust the balance etc, I can get that setting up but I cant seem to adjust it as balance and fader are stuck on 5.
Thanks, Ill go have a look at the amp 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neil E said:

Hi,
I believe my serial number is 86011-24011

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasD94 said:

Hi,
I believe my serial number is 86011-24011

Nvm, wrong part I was reading off, yeah mine is 86280-0w070 too! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Neil E said:

The good news is it seems to be the second connector at the back of the Mark Lev amp that is either loose (or the amp is on the way out?)
When I hold in the connector the amp powers on for a few seconds and the audio comes through, then the amp fans stop and the radio goes back off.

In your experience do you think its the connection needing adjusted or a new amp?
Thanks,Thomas

• Like 1

Well it's good that you know where the problem is. It's likely to be a broken/loose connector or pin on the amp. If it is, then it might be possible to fix / solder it. There's a company in Edinburgh that have fixed amps in the past but I'm not sure if they are still doing it. I think there are a few threads on here (maybe the LS forum) and a few on clublexus that cover this type of fault.

I will look for the amps I have later to see if any might help you out. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Neil E said:

Well it's good that you know where the problem is. It's likely to be a broken/loose connector or pin on the amp. If it is, then it might be possible to fix / solder it. There's a company in Edinburgh that have fixed amps in the past but I'm not sure if they are still doing it. I think there are a few threads on here (maybe the LS forum) and a few on clublexus that cover this type of fault.

I will look for the amps I have later to see if any might help you out. 

Thanks Neil, I agree I think it is most like a pin. When I hold the connector tight I am able to adjust the fader and balance etc. I am hoping it is going to be a simple fix 😄

• Like 1

Yes that does sound like the known issue with the early amplifier. I've found one ML amp but it's not the same part number. 

We need to find the thread that deals with this issue to find out if it can be fixed easily. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Neil E said:

Yes that does sound like the known issue with the early amplifier. I've found one ML amp but it's not the same part number. 

We need to find the thread that deals with this issue to find out if it can be fixed easily. 

Hi Neil, 
Should I be looking for a different part number from what is on the side of it (86280-0w070)to avoid it happening again?

• Like 1

I think the best bet would be to get the same model from a facelift car, assuming it's the same. Have you opened it up to look at the connections on the PCB?

If it is a cracked /dry solder joint or something similar it might be worth a repair. It must be something like that for it to work intermittently.

https://svtservices.co.uk/lexus-mark-levinson-power-amp-repair-service/

There is a thread on here or clublexus that goes into the problem of the connections on these amps with a close up pic of a broken connector where it joins the board but I can't find it. I suspect that if all of the pins are okay then this could be the fault. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Neil E said:

I think the best bet would be to get the same model from a facelift car, assuming it's the same. Have you opened it up to look at the connections on the PCB?

If it is a cracked /dry solder joint or something similar it might be worth a repair. It must be something like that for it to work intermittently.

https://svtservices.co.uk/lexus-mark-levinson-power-amp-repair-service/

There is a thread on here or clublexus that goes into the problem of the connections on these amps with a close up pic of a broken connector where it joins the board but I can't find it. I suspect that if all of the pins are okay then this could be the fault. 

Thanks Neil, you are a star! Greatly appreciate your help!!

• Like 2