Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wraps

Philip Pearson

Hi, I have a bit of a dilemma. I have the choice of 2 SC’s. One is a 2009 48k mirage Full Lexus history. It is a silver colour but previous owner has had it wrapped in white. We will definitely remove this (professionally) and restore to factory colour. This car is being sold for £14,450.

the second one is a 2008 grey slate 38k mileage Full Lexus service history but being sold for £15,500. 

both being sold by reputable dealers and both cars have had the cam belts and water pumps changed.

l prefer the white one but is the wrap something I should avoid.i appreciate the V5 will need changing and have no problem with that.

comments and guidance would be appreciated

phil 

2 hours ago, Philip Pearson said:

Hi, I have a bit of a dilemma. I have the choice of 2 SC’s. One is a 2009 48k mirage Full Lexus history. It is a silver colour but previous owner has had it wrapped in white. We will definitely remove this (professionally) and restore to factory colour. This car is being sold for £14,450.

the second one is a 2008 grey slate 38k mileage Full Lexus service history but being sold for £15,500. 

both being sold by reputable dealers and both cars have had the cam belts and water pumps changed.

l prefer the white one but is the wrap something I should avoid.i appreciate the V5 will need changing and have no problem with that.

phil 

I watched a BMW being wrapped a few years ago and there were some cuts with sharp blades, whether that would be a problem I don't know, but personally I wouldn't feel too comfortable buying a wrapped one if I wasn't 100% sure what was underneath.  Just my opinion of course.

3 hours ago, Philip Pearson said:

phil 

Slate grey with stone leather is nice . I would also be cautious of a wrapped car . if you are removing it.

59 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I watched a BMW being wrapped a few years ago and there were some cuts with sharp blades, whether that would be a problem I don't know, but personally I wouldn't feel too comfortable buying a wrapped one if I wasn't 100% sure what was underneath.  Just my opinion of course.

Selling a wrapped car might cause a few problems.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DanD said:

such as?

Thanks Dan.Not your wrapped car is it ?

From the perspective of the buyer having  bought this particular wrapped vehicle and wishing to sell it.

*Not being able to say when, where it was wrapped and what sort of warranty was provided.

*Not being able to say why the colour of white was chosen for the wrapping.

*Not being able to say why D.V.L.A. Form V5 is not showing the same colour.

*Difficulty in explaining why it is wrapped to a potential buyer in such a way as to satisfy him/her.

*A possible absence of demand for a wrapped car as a potential buyer will not be able to view the original bodywork and form the view that it has been wrapped to conceal something and thus express little or no interest in the car being offered for sale.

55 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Dan.Not your wrapped car is it ?

From the perspective of the buyer having  bought this particular wrapped vehicle and wishing to sell it.

*Not being able to say when, where it was wrapped and what sort of warranty was provided.

*Not being able to say why the colour of white was chosen for the wrapping.

*Not being able to say why D.V.L.A. Form V5 is not showing the same colour.

*Difficulty in explaining why it is wrapped to a potential buyer in such a way as to satisfy him/her.

*A possible absence of demand for a wrapped car as a potential buyer will not be able to view the original bodywork and form the view that it has been wrapped to conceal something and thus express little or no interest in the car being offered for sale.

All good points I suppose.

I guess the best advice to the buyer would be to ask the seller to get the wrap professionally removed to allow inspection... hopefully to unveil a gleaming and spotless bodywork belying the age of the car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanD said:

All good points I suppose.

I guess the best advice to the buyer would be to ask the seller to get the wrap professionally removed to allow inspection... hopefully to unveil a gleaming and spotless bodywork belying the age of the car.

I don`t imagine a seller would be happy to do this Dan, lest the potential buyer walks away.

Vinyl wraps done professionally are great for a while but usually deteriorate after a year or two if the car is used frequently. (it's the same with paint) It's not paint protection film. If it's been done well then there shouldn't be any paint cuts underneath. If it's going to be professionally removed, why not ask someone from the company doing the work to take a look at the car to get a quote.

Both are low mileage but I would say over-valued.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have declined the wrapped car and gone for the slate grey 2008 plate. I’ve paid a little over the top but it is being sold By a Lexus Main dealer with low mileage. Picking up on Wednesday.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Philip Pearson said:

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have declined the wrapped car and gone for the slate grey 2008 plate. I’ve paid a little over the top but it is being sold By a Lexus Main dealer with low mileage. Picking up on Wednesday.

We'll be looking forward to the photos! It's a lovely car, enjoy!