Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A new member here, no Lexus yet,but torn between 2 models, helps is much appreciated.

mitadoc

Good morning everyone.

I am after a family SUV with hybrid technology ( because of the regulations and possible problems with diesel cars in near future).

I am currently driving MB W246 B200cdi with annual mileage of approx. 18k miles. I am happy with consumption and agility, however soon it is going to be wifey`s car.

I decided not to risk with MB GLC and to get something similar as size, but with hybrid powertrain + similar extras and feel + perhaps better build quality.

I have shortlisted 2 models - NX300h 2017 and RX450h 2015 ( facelifted). Both will be sub 30k miles and an additional extended warranty though the AD will be purchased.

We have 2 boys - Philip is 3 and a half years old and Gabriel - Luka is 10 months old. The boot is always full of baby pram, push bike, 2 picnic chairs, couple of balls and other silly stuff. Inside the car there is a baby car seat and a kids car seat. And my lovely wife, of course.

Some questions emerged :

1.Is the old RX450h ( 2015) significantly bigger than the current NX300h? Which one has bigger inner space and boot?

2.Regarding the service costs and intervals - are they similar as intervals and cost? I saw something like 225 GBP on Lexus.com as reference and 10k miles or 12 months, whichever comes first.

3.What is the MPG on RX450h? I saw your reports for approx 40+ MPG on NXs which is fine for me. 

4.I know Lexus are very well built cars, however should I be prepared for something as common faults or anyway the extended warranty will take care of it?

Your help is much appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Cheers and take care.

Dimi

Hi Dimitar and welcome to the forum, you did a good thing registering for this forum and you will get plenty suggestions and real life experience comments here.

If it was me I would buy RX (especially facelifted model as I prefer the interior to the old one), it id bigger car at the back with bigger boot, comfier and quieter. Tbh, all that based on what I have read here.

Regards service and fuel consumption - RX is more expensive and less fuel efficient, I won't claim any numbers exactly but for one - RX service will be a little more expensive as it has 6 cylinder engine so when time comes for a big service you have more spark plug to change.

Anyway, lets see what real owners have to say. In any case I think you wont be disappointed with the Lexus!

15 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Hi Dimitar and welcome to the forum, you did a good thing registering for this forum and you will get plenty suggestions and real life experience comments here.

If it was me I would buy RX (especially facelifted model as I prefer the interior to the old one), it id bigger car at the back with bigger boot, comfier and quieter. Tbh, all that based on what I have read here.

Regards service and fuel consumption - RX is more expensive and less fuel efficient, I won't claim any numbers exactly but for one - RX service will be a little more expensive as it has 6 cylinder engine so when time comes for a big service you have more spark plug to change.

Anyway, lets see what real owners have to say. In any case I think you wont be disappointed with the Lexus!

Thank you, Vlad.

It sounds well on paper ,however it can be deceiving , hence your help is much anticipated.

I have never driven any Lexus, but Toyota Auris Hybrid and I liked the driving style as I am quite calm driver myself.

Waiting for other comments and inputs.

Cheers.

Dimi

• Like 1

Hi Dimi,

The bottom line is that you need to examine and drive both models because different people have varying priorities.  Although the 4th Generation RX450h was available in 2015, I preferred the shape and more compact shape of the 3rd Generation RX450h and bought a used 2015 model with about 35K miles.  The 4th Gen model is slightly more refined and economical but too wide.  I have driven a late NX which I think is a more attractive and better proportioned car than any RX model although rather smaller.  It didn't have quite as much accelleration  as my RX and though comfort was acceptable I found it less so than my RX.  However , the RX is heavier and being a 6 cylinder model is less economical  and is more expensive to sevice.  Suggest you establish pricing for the various services particularly the spark plug one which is very expensive due to the time it takes to access the plugs in the rear bank of the RX.

Indeed, Lexus/Toyota are pretty reliable although parts are expensive and there is not so much choice of after maket parts as is available on MB and BMW cars.

Another possibility you might consider is the Toyota RAV hybrid.  The boot on the RAV seemed larger to me than on the NX and also comes with a 5 year warranty rather than the 3 year one you get with a new Lexus.  The Lexus does look better though. 

The Lexus/Toyota sat nav is inferior to German cars and although they have good sound the infotainment systems are not highly rated too.

Let us know what you decide on and if a Lexus post pics! 

Hi Dimitar and welcome to the LOC.

I joined the LOC around 14 years ago but unlike you after I bought the car. I have however been very fortunate with mine having had no major problems in that time with the car which I still have to this day. That in itself is testimony to the build quality and reliability of Lexus vehicles.

You are obviously doing your homework regarding potential candidates, this along with a FLSH, extended warranty and input from other members should ensure a good outcome. I understand that in line with Toyota Lexus now offer a 10 year 150,000 mile hybrid warranty provided yearly checks are performed as part of the service regime.

Good luck in your search, feel free to post up links for anything you are considering.

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I understand that in line with Toyota Lexus now offer a 10 year 150,000 mile hybrid warranty

They only put it up to 15 years about 6, maybe 9 months ago - I hope they haven't brought it down again have they?

I have a 2014 RX450h, which I think is equivalent to what you're looking for? It's now on about 37k, I bought it last year with a low mileage of about 23k. There has been no appreciable wear and tear during that time, I wouldn't worry too much if you have to go for something of 40-50k which is probably more in line with cars of that age.

At 40k it should have a major service, if you get something with 30-something bear this in mind or see that its gets done by the dealer. The spark plug change comes at 60k, regardless of age.

RX definitely has a bigger boot than NX, having gone through two young children that's definitely something to bear in mind.

I wouldn't say the RX has a particularly big boot, certainly not as large as the Avensis estate I used to have. I'd say the nex RAV4 is better in that regard. On the RX you can slide the seat forwards, which would be OK with young children who don't need the legroom, but then it opens up a gap between the parcel shelf and the back of the seat.

As others have said, RX will cost a bit more to run and fuel than NX, but it is a lovely thing to drive.

Thank you again for your comments.

I thought of Rav4,however once I chose the Excel model with all extras ( as having leather upholstery for example, which is quite convenient when with kids as easier to clean) and it was 21K for 17 plate  and sub 20k miles. For the same price is 15-16 plate NX300h , similar miles and more extras,more refined, killer look and more luxury feel. Rav4 looks a little bit outdated inside, outside is rather OK.

The same price is RX450h , 15 plate, facelift, 25k mies on the clock, heavy, bulky and very luxurious. Don't get me wrong, just my snobbery alter ego whispers to me : why buying the Rav4 if you can have the RX or NX? LOL.

I know service costs are something to think about. I have already sent an enquiry to Lexus.co.uk and some local dealer for a quote for both NX300h and RX450h for service intervals, cost of servicing + cost of extended warranty. The same enquiry was sent to Toyota.co.uk + local AD. Later, once received the info, I will try to draw some comparison.

The process of choosing will be long and maybe there will be a development and changes in requirements, taste or budget, who knows?

I hope it will not be as long as I was choosing the MB, but I am prepared for few weekends to spend on test-drives and trips to local ADs.

I will be happy to see some pics of yours in order to fuel my fire.

All the best and stay safe.

Dimi

Lots about mine here:

And after my first year with it:

From my experience, don't assume that if you buy an approved used car it will be really good and you won't need to give it a good lookover yourself, or that if there's a problem it will be smoothly dealt with. I won't be travelling to a certain dealer in Kent to buy any future Lexus.....

Hi Dimitri

I had an NX and then moved to an RX in December. The reason I changed was that I found the NX a bit cramped and the boot is actually quite small for the overall size of the car. It's a very nice car but I found the CVT transmission and the engine are not a very pretty marriage. Like you I am a very calm driver with a light right foot, but when you need to accelerate up a steep hill going by the engine revs with the sound it makes it makes you think that the car should be doing eighty miles an hour, but when you look at the speedo your doing 40mph lol. Never had any problems with my NX and I used to get around 38/9 in the winter and 41/43 in the summer.

Whereas the RX is more spacious in the cabin and the boot and a comfortable serene drive with a bit of body roll. Mileage wise in the winter I just about got 36 mpg and now it's a bit warmer I'm up to 38.8 mpg at the moment. I never feel that I have to rush in the RX.

Good luck and I hope you make the right choice for yourselves, it will be interesting to see if you can get a good deal as nobody seems to know what the market is going to be like after lockdown. There might be more trade in cars after the 20 reg in March and obviously dealers will be trying to talk the market up. But they'll need to get the cash coming in quickly. Good hunting.

If you are looking at the the 3rd Generation RX 450h you might also consider a low mileage 2014 model which is the same range specs as the 2015 model and would provide a useful cost saving if a low mileage one came up.  The 4th Generation RX450h became available in 2015 and this was a more radical change being more refined but having a larger footprint.  If you are tending to go for the RX450h, you also need to check  whether the 4th Generation would be your preference, perhaps with more miles on it to be affordable.   Decisions, decisions!