Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What kind of petrol for the LS430?

My 1998 Ls400 has for years now (while in my ownership) been running very happily on the standard unleaded petrol.  In the experience of Ls430 owners does the LS430 need the higher octane (premium) unleaded petrol? Thank you for your thoughts. 

50 minutes ago, GEN said:

My 1998 Ls400 has for years now (while in my ownership) been running very happily on the standard unleaded petrol.  In the experience of Ls430 owners does the LS430 need the higher octane (premium) unleaded petrol? Thank you for your thoughts. 

The same fuel as the 400 is fine, it's all I've ever used, but I do avoid supermarket petrol.

I put in ASDA, Salisbury's, Tesco's, plus other stuff and have done for 40 years. No problems. I put a pot of Red-X fuel cleaner in when it is £2 at ASDA and it is fine.

I always use Premium Unleaded, Shell, BP or Costco. I read in the handbook recently it recommended Premium Unleaded. It is my choice I know, and many will run theirs on cheaper fuel without problem. Cheers, Roger 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GEN said:

In the experience of Ls430 owners does the LS430 need the higher octane (premium) unleaded petrol?

It definitely doesn't need it. May run a little smoother with higher octane fuel and slightly more mpg, but on my old GS430 the difference wasn't anywhere near covering the extra cost.

12 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Premium Unleaded is the term used for standard 95 RON petrol in this country.

Oh , thanks Colin, read that wrong then. With Costco fuel there is not a huge price differential. Cheers, Roger

My 460 is one of the models that needs to use the E5 grade of fuel. Yes, it is more expensive but my attitude is this........Lexus have gone to the trouble of making one of the best cars on the planet, why would I not take their advice?

• Like 2

E5 refers to how much alcohol is in the fuel (5%) not to the Octane (anti-knock) rating.
E5 95RON has the same Octane rating as E10 95RON and as pure petrol (no alcohol) 95RON.

From the LS430 Owners Manual
Fuel selection:
Select premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating
of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher for optimum
engine performance. However, if such premium type
cannot be obtained, you may temporarily use unleaded
gasoline with an Octane Rating as low as 87 (Research
Octane Number 91).

UK Premium is 95RON so for optimum performance you should run Super (97-99RON).
I however have always run 95 except for one recent tankful of 99 (Shell V-Power) that made no difference to the performance or smoothness of the engine at all.
Since 95 is only slightly below 96, I'm not going to worry about it.

In France what I've seen is mainly E10 (nothing else mentioned) the alternative being Super 98 Essence.

I've assumed E10 is 95 ron with 10% ethanol so don't put it in my car but use the Super 98 which personally I don't find the Car likes, in the UK. 

I  assume the Super 98 essence only has 5% ethanol, if any.

Once they step up from 5% to 10% Ethanol in this Country, then I fear It'll start to remove older Cars from the Roads and I'll have difficulty knowing what to do. 

When Petrol went unleaded I used an additive in my old 230TE.   An additive to E10 won't stop the destruction of rubber etc that Ethanol is supposed to cause. Or am I wrong on this?

Stuart and George, as you say, E5 and E10 refer to the percentage of Ethanol present in the fuel (E5 being the most expensive).  Ethanol can damage certain kinds of seals in the fuel system if it is in a high enough percentage. It can, even, rot the bottom of fuel tanks. I've attached a screen grab of a page from a Dutch document which shows the Lexus models for which E10 is NOT recommended. Note the 'built between' dates. If your model isn't on the list, you can use E10 with no problems.

lexus.thumb.PNG.c9683168bcca8c2c089864d6e0011685.PNG

There is a proviso.......All European Lexus models built since January 1998 can use E10, except for those listed above. For cars built before Jan '98 and, I presume, imported models, you need to check with a dealer.

• Like 1

For the pre-98 vehicles E10 is indeed a problem, as is E5 for some.
https://www.footmanjames.co.uk/blog/e10-petrol-threat-for-classic-cars

Once E5 is no longer available, even in Super 97-99RON format, you will need to add Ethanol Stabiliser to your petrol.
There are plenty out there, just search for "E10 additive"

• Like 2

and what's the timeframe for the removal of E5 from our forecourts ?

or will it still be available for donkey's years I wonder

Malc

The current plan is that E10 95RON will replace E5 95RON in summer 2021 in all Premium pumps.
E5 97-99RON will remain in most of the Super pumps for several years but that depends on the fuel companies and of course our government may well make E10 mandatory for all petrol at a later date. You may have to shop around for E5 fuel but that should be some years off yet.

I'd expect a similar situation to the Leaded/Unleaded situation we went through in the late 80's and early 90's until Leaded petrol was banned in 2000, so 10-15 years.
Nowadays if you want to run an unmodified engine designed for Leaded petrol, then you need to add an LRP additive, or you can modify the engine to use unleaded (harder valve seats).

managed quite well with my 1932 Triumph thus far with additives ....... now had to have her made more drive safer and friendly and whilst we've kept all the original stuff and spare engine etc she now sports a fine Triumph Herald 1200cc engine,probably a leaded fuel engine too,   Willys Jeep brakes, safe electrics and lights that are sensible ..  hopefully she won't breakdown every 15 miles and the RAC Recovery will heave a sigh of relief ....... even though they loved the callouts to a rare 1932 classic

Our Ls400s aren't that rare yet ............... so I'm sure we'll manage with E10 eventually and there will be some additive to make them run better than ever .......... just wonder how many there will be left on UK roads by the time E5 is " cancelled "

I remember my tour of Italy a few years back and I had to fill up on E10 at one stop ......... didn't seem to harm the running at all ........  but then going into altitude, up the Dolomites, does strange things to petrol cars I understand

just reminiscing :wink3:

Malc