Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sc Owners Transmission WS Fluid Change on Facelift

nicnac

i am about to purchase a face lift SC-2006. Just wondering how many owners have had their transmission fluid changed whilst owning . Its nearly identical transmission to the IS250 unit . I had an issue with Lexus here when they did not do the level check properly . this was back in 2009 . I ended up doing it myself . i had 33k on the clock at the time and the fluid was already a murky brown . 

Not heard many SC, GS or LS 430 owners with the 6-speed talk about changing the fluid but can't hurt, especially on a 14 year old car. Obviously just draining the pan is only going to change about 1/3 of the fluid so you may want to do it multiple times to make a real difference. 

Yes Colin . The word at the start of the six speed A761E transmission was that it was a lifetime fluid /fill. that always baffled me as an engineer . The thought of the torque converter mashing the oil for year upon year in thermal conditions told the RAF trained techy that it would need changing for continued performance .I will certainly be changing mine when I get the car.Also the drain does need to be done 3-4 times as you suggest with driving in between to cycle the torque converter oil to the sump . On the IS 250 I did it 4 times till the oil was cherry red again with a good cycle between .Just found these WS fluid tins from that episode .... i knew i didn't throw them out .!!It is also imperative that the stack pipe level check is done at the correct temperature. Failure to do this at the last cycle will cause knotchy changes.

WS1.png

WS2.png

1 hour ago, nicnac said:

Yes Colin . The word at the start of the six speed A761E transmission was that it was a lifetime fluid /fill. that always baffled me as an engineer . The thought of the torque converter mashing the oil for year upon year in thermal conditions told the RAF trained techy that it would need changing for continued performance .I will certainly be changing mine when I get the car.Also the drain does need to be done 3-4 times as you suggest with driving in between to cycle the torque converter oil to the sump . On the IS 250 I did it 4 times till the oil was cherry red again with a good cycle between .Just found these WS fluid tins from that episode .... i knew i didn't throw them out .!!It is also imperative that the stack pipe level check is done at the correct temperature. Failure to do this at the last cycle will cause knotchy changes.

WS1.png

WS2.png

Lifetime meant lifetime of the production run of the model ie. 6 or 7 years........but the manufacturers never told us that Nic !

Mercedes Indies recommend changing every 38/40k miles.

• Like 1

That sounds right John.about 40-50k for us as well would do no harm .I saw the crud that came out of the filter in one of the LS transmissions and the magnets in the pan . I suppose im just too fussy . We used to say you cant change that bit at 40000 feet if it fails , but a car can pull to the side.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links