Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Morning all, 

As I continue tidying up my motor, I pulled out 4 sponges that I think Lexus refer to as 'spacers' from the front wings. The things were soaked, with lots of grime / bit of surface rust where they had been. Surely on a 14yr old car I can through these away? or should I be investigating how they got wet in the first case, i.e. should they be one dry at all times (on the assumption the rest of the car has everything else in place correctly?

IMG_7827.jpeg

IMG_7828.jpeg

IMG_7829.jpeg

IMG_7830.jpeg

Find it quite shocking that the design engineers would place sound deadening foam in such a exposed area that was likely to contaminate the rest of the surrounding area with corrosion I can see the purpose as they are renewable and if the wings were needing removed any permanent foam glued to the bodywork would be a problem.

I agree with you get rid and treat the surrounding area to a clean up and apply ACF or the like.

• Like 1

Personally I would clean up the surfaces with anti-rust and replace the deadening foam after washing an drying off.

Everything has a purpose in these Cars. Resonance, sound blocking, all important.

Wouldn't be there if not considered beneficial and what harm after 14 years? Seems very little.  

• Like 2

Listed  as “Spacers” in the parts list, not a bad price either at £30.00 each x 4 for a bit of foam.

“This is not just an ordinary piece of foam....this is a Lexus piece of foam”

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Personally I would clean up the surfaces with anti-rust and replace the deadening foam after washing an drying off.

Everything has a purpose in these Cars. Resonance, sound blocking, all important.

Wouldn't be there if not considered beneficial and what harm after 14 years? Seems very little.  

Agreed.