Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stopping History Being A Mystery

Off the back of @runsgrateasanut mentioning about finding out the service history of my LS460, I pieced together this table (below). Most of the works was carried out by Lexus Cardiff, and then it went onto Lexus Birmingham before finishing up at East Midlands Autos. I've been calling around trying to get missing info, but makes for interesting reading so far. What's with the new steering rack at 90,000 miles?? is this common?

1810965476_Screenshot2020-06-08at17_26_51.thumb.jpg.1779f1f0d5cab5b9d1ce2bbbdd939a91.jpg

On the US forum there are many entries about steering rack problems. What happens is that the steering wheel, for no reason, takes up a 45 degrees left or right position with the front wheels straight ahead. Running diagnostic check gives an error code which requires a steering rack change. 

I had this happen to me and took it to my local Lexus dealer. I told him about the US forum and he just laughed. He was adamant that the problem was NOT the rack. They ran a full diagnostic and, sure enough, got a code which recommended a steering rack change. He still didn't believe it and told his guys to run a full program check on the various systems. They found a corrupt script in the Auto-Parking module. A quick re-boot and all was well. That was 5 years ago and I've had no problems since. 

Interestingly, he told me that, after a rack change, they would have to do the same re-boot as part of the schedule. Makes you wonder how many racks (at around $5000) have been changed for a computer glitch. The fix cost me about 130 euro.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Tulpen said:

On the US forum there are many entries about steering rack problems. What happens is that the steering wheel, for no reason, takes up a 45 degrees left or right position with the front wheels straight ahead. Running diagnostic check gives an error code which requires a steering rack change. 

I had this happen to me and took it to my local Lexus dealer. I told him about the US forum and he just laughed. He was adamant that the problem was NOT the rack. They ran a full diagnostic and, sure enough, got a code which recommended a steering rack change. He still didn't believe it and told his guys to run a full program check on the various systems. They found a corrupt script in the Auto-Parking module. A quick re-boot and all was well. That was 5 years ago and I've had no problems since. 

Interestingly, he told me that, after a rack change, they would have to do the same re-boot as part of the schedule. Makes you wonder how many racks (at around $5000) have been changed for a computer glitch. The fix cost me about 130 euro.

wow! thanks for this. 

This is a perfect example of the blind leading the blind,ie a computer programme corrupted to the extent that the reader could not determine that a mechanical device was bad or good and just accepting the outcome without question at the expense of the owner.

It is one of the hidden benefits of owning the older models that the steering rack is not controlled or monitored by a computer which can result in these anomalies.

When I started to look for a replacement for my Mark 1 these advancements in the computerisation of the running of the car were one of my major considerations and at that time the 430 and the 460 were the only models available there was not much in the way of newer computer additions to the 430 but the 460 had significantly advanced and from reading this topic not for the good of all.

I think it, also, shows up the 'Computer says NO' attitude. 

Blindly following the error codes, without using a bit of common sense, can be very expensive. You can't beat an experienced engineer, backed up by some modern diagnostic equipment. But to let the equipment make all the decisions is a slippery (and very expensive) slope. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tulpen said:

Blindly following the error codes, without using a bit of common sense, can be very expensive. You can't beat an experienced engineer, backed up by some modern diagnostic equipment. But to let the equipment make all the decisions is a slippery (and very expensive) slope. 

Exactly this. I've banged on about this many times re: my GS. Fault codes a plenty that prompted my local Lexus dealership to effectively write the car off. £100 thank you. Took it over to Lex-Tek and Dave fixes it in 20 minutes for 20 quid. Job done.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2020 at 2:19 PM, BigBoomer said:

Ahhh the joys of steer by wire. :fear:

One reason why autonomous vehicles are only as good as the programmer(s), I like to call it AS (Artificial Stupidity), as nothing is perfectly intelligent (apart from LS owners - of course)

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 3:04 PM, Tulpen said:

Totally agree. My windscreen wipers were stopping mid screen, after consulting the Lexus forum there were a few others with the same problem. Some took their cars to Lexus where the wiper motor was diagnosed as the problem as per the tech flow diagnostic diagrams. The fault remained however and finally the relay was changed and the fault cured. Thanks to others on the is300 forum I obtained a couple of relays for £5 fitted one which cured the fault and kept the second as a spare. We seem to be losing both experience and common sense nowadays and relying on the computer to tell us problem usually at great expense and not looking for the simplest solution. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links