Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What disc/pads brakes ?

H4ndyAndy

I'm a new happy owner of a Neptune Blue Lexus Ct200H FSport.

Looking to replace all brake train.

Having a look on eBay and theres plenty to choose from.

Are the OEM discs any different in weight/quality compared to EBC & Co ?

Thank you for your input.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, H4ndyAndy said:

I'm a new happy owner of a Neptune Blue Lexus Ct200H FSport.

Looking to replace all brake train.

Having a look on Ebay and theres plenty to choose from.

Are the OEM discs any different in weight/quality compared to EBC & Co ?

Thank you for your input.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Welcome to L.O.C. Andrew.

A good reliable steed you have there. It should stand you in good company for a long time with loving care..

Let us know if you bought privately or from a Dealer and we all just love to see piccies when you can send them.

• Like 2

The OEM parts are good quality. If you are happy with them then why not just go with them again. You can get front discs and pads for £100 here which is good value:

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/category/lexus-ct/lexus-ct-2010-onwards/lexus-ct-brakes-transmission/

Cheaper parts are probably going to be fine. The CT isn't that heavy or powerful. The only thing I'd be mindful of is the transition from electric braking to mechanical braking should be seamless - if you get new pads/discs with an aggressive bite you are going to feel that transition more than with OEM.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, H4ndyAndy said:

Excuse me ?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I reacted to what I took to be a joke from you Andrew.

Anfield is the football ground of the second best team in the Galaxy.

If you are not into football then please forget/ignore my initial remark!

• Like 1

I reacted to what I took to be a joke from you Andrew.
Anfield is the football ground of the second best team in the Galaxy.
If you are not into football then please forget/ignore my initial remark!
Oh I see ...
Not a fan of soccer , unless FIFA .

• Like 1

Andrew how many miles gas the car done? I ask because the brakes on the CT have a very easy life, and it's not unusual to expect a minimum of 100,000+ miles out of the first set of brake pads, and the disc ware is minimal.
Possibly the biggest problem with the disc "and possibly your problem" is rusts through lack of use. The remedy for this is "when it is safe to do so" on a down hill run at around 50 mph go into neutral and brake steadily. Do this a couple of time a month to keep the discs shiny, and rust free.
I have used EBC discs and black stuff pads on my Prius "the same as the CT", and had no problems.

John.  

Andrew how many miles gas the car done? I ask because the brakes on the CT have a very easy life, and it's not unusual to expect a minimum of 100,000+ miles out of the first set of brake pads, and the disc ware is minimal.
Possibly the biggest problem with the disc "and possibly your problem" is rusts through lack of use. The remedy for this is "when it is safe to do so" on a down hill run at around 50 mph go into neutral and brake steadily. Do this a couple of time a month to keep the discs shiny, and rust free.
I have used EBC discs and black stuff pads on my Prius "the same as the CT", and had no problems.
John.  
Thank you for your input, much appreciated.
They don't have much wear I should think, car has 35.800 miles ...
But with closer look, kind of rusty .

Andrew I should have added the reason for the above treatment is that using the brakes in neutral turns off the regen braking, and forces the use of the mechanical brakes, and so helps ware off any surface rust before the discs become pitted. Once the discs do become pitted the rust rely begins to take over reducing the friction area, and causes the pads to ware more rapidly.

John. 

• Like 1

Andrew I should have added the reason for the above treatment is that using the brakes in neutral turns off the regen braking, and forces the use of the mechanical brakes, and so helps ware off any surface rust before the discs become pitted. Once the discs do become pitted the rust rely begins to take over reducing the friction area, and causes the pads to ware more rapidly.
John. 
The exact reason I'm looking to change them or at least soft brush them if they're not very scored ...
Although I'm really considering replace them.
So there's no change in quality or weight with non OEM parts ?

The front discs are easy to clean by removing the wheels, and with the engine running in gear use flap wheel type sanding discs in a drill or preferably an angle grinder. This will remove any rust, and light scoring easily. You can use quite course abrasive discs to do this.
The rears are done in the same way but without any drive to them. If you make sure the pads are not binding on the discs so that the discs spin freely the abrasive discs will spin the brake discs for you giving a nice even finish.

John.

The front discs are easy to clean by removing the wheels, and with the engine running in gear use flap wheel type sanding discs in a drill or preferably an angle grinder. This will remove any rust, and light scoring easily. You can use quite course abrasive discs to do this.
The rears are done in the same way but without any drive to them. If you make sure the pads are not binding on the discs so that the discs spin freely the abrasive discs will spin the brake discs for you giving a nice even finish.
John.
Sounds like a plan.
Will post some photos before and after.
At the moment still waiting for Arnold Clark to deliver it ... [emoji849]

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links