Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus GS300H 2016 front passenger shock leaking

Zeeshan

Hi guys, 

I have a Lexus GS300h 2016. The car's covered about 73k on the clock. Everything is nice and smooth and drives absolutely brilliant. I took it in for an MOT yesterday and found out that the front passenger shock absorber is leaking. I was quite surprised to hear that as I had a Lexus IS300h previously and i covered over 200k on the car and hardly had any issues with anything. Anyways, I think maybe I went into a massive pothole without realising the impact it probably caused to the shock absorber.

I have searched all over the internet for a replacement shock. Euro car parts, Halfords or any online based parts stores, no one sells the shocks for this car as Its not a common model in the UK. I have taken a look at the shock myself and can see its made by KYB who makes shocks for alot of cars worldwide. I have been trying to get in touch with them but to no avail. Called up Lexus and found out the shock is £311 including VAT. I was surprised with the price as its not a big massive shock for a range rover etc. I have searched online for a second hand with the Lexus part number stated on the shock and can only find one used from some European country. 

My question is does anyone know any other shock make i can replace this shock with? Any aftermarket shock or if anyone knows the KYB product number of this shock so I can search using that and maybe find it. the Lexus part number stated on this shock doesn't really help except for Lexus guys. I've also heard that its better to change both front shocks then just one so that just doubles the issue. see images attached and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

front passenger left side/Near Side shock absorber leaking
shock absorber manufactured by KYB
Lexus Part number stated on the shock absorber is 48520-30770
Lexus GS300H 2016 5 door UK registered Car

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1857.jpg

Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 11.24.24.png

A little detective work LED me to https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-list/2018-lexus-gs300/power_train_chassis/front_spring_shock_absorber.html

Top entry shows the part number you reference but with a revised/newer part number.

Put that number in to Amayama and you get this https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/4852080464

Might be a good starting point. I've also got to speak to my parts guy today. I'll run it by him.

• Like 1

Hi Zeeshan,

Please see a link below to the shock absorber you require. https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-gs/lexus-gs-phase-iv-2012-2018/lexus-gs-4-present-steering-suspension/lexus-gs-phase-4-n-s-f-shock-absorber/ please place the order via the website and input your reg so we can ensure this is the correct part for your vehicle.

if you use code lovelexus we will apply the free shipping discount

• Like 2

That oil leak looks a bit odd, if the piston seal goes then it normally soaks the bottom on the spring on it's platform yet your platform is dry 🤨

35 minutes ago, Farqui said:

That oil leak looks a bit odd, if the piston seal goes then it normally soaks the bottom on the spring on it's platform yet your platform is dry 🤨

I'll be honest, I was going to suggest a second opinion.

If you aren't replacing with an OEM shock then you really need to purchase two and change both fronts to avoid uneven handling, especially on the front.

Even replacing like for like at 73k miles, I'd do both as the performance between old and new will be noticeable.

• Like 1

Mine was changed under extended warranty at 65000. they only changed the one and there was no difference in handling. I did query why only one side as i always believed both needed changing as a matter of course, but they were proved right. still feels fine 20000 miles later.

16 hours ago, Zeeshan said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I’ve had a look at the spec rich1068 posted and i can find more used shocks. 

Amayama are a good source for new and considerably cheaper than from a dealer.

Rich1068, Yeah definitely the cheapest. £180 for new. I’ve messaged them and asked for a pic so i can be sure its the right shock you know. They haven’t got back yet. Have you ever ordered from them in the past? I believe the parts come from japan right? 

• 1 year later...