Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

We know the mileage for change is 100k or 10 years, but under my bonnet is the manufacturers label saying 100k kilometres.  So is that confusing or what!

Anyway, a total of £330 parts and label including water pump, tensioner and idler is pretty good I think.  That's using the Gates kit I mentioned previously.

• Like 3

That's very reasonable, considering the number of hours it's supposed to take. Did they change the coolant as well?

I've ordered the full Aisin kit from Rock Autos and that will probably cost around £200 by the time it reaches me.

20 minutes ago, Howplum said:

That's very reasonable, considering the number of hours it's supposed to take. Did they change the coolant as well?

I've ordered the full Aisin kit from Rock Autos and that will probably cost around £200 by the time it reaches me.

I had some Toyota coolant left so I supplied that, although the existing coolant was replaced last year so maybe some was saved.  And Mark, no I had it done locally by an excellent mechanic who has done many LS's.  He says he can do it in 3-4 hours.

This was discussed on the forum a few years ago. When I had my 400, the cambelt change schedule in my handbook was 62,000 miles.......100,000 kilometres. I've often thought that there was a miles/kilometre mix-up somewhere.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Howplum said:

Snap, I ordered exactly the same for mine yesterday. I always think its worth spending a little extra if it gives you the quality you need and when you think how long and how much work its going to do in its lifetime its peanuts.

• Like 1

The last time I had mine done (around 8 years ago) my local garage quoted me £100.00 for the labour, remaining poker faced I said I’d think about it.

Booked it in soon after and dropped it off early in the morning. It was ready by lunchtime the next day.

I think they soon realised the quoted Autodata time of 4 hours was a bit out! Still charged me only £100.00 but I did give them a pack of beer too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Howplum said:

Mmmmm. Tempting!

This is a guy who has done many and was an LS owner himself at one time.  It's a long established business here in West Sussex, not just a lone mechanic doing it on his drive.

• Like 1

Where in West Sussex Phil?
Since I work in Crawley (not for the last few months obviously) it may be worth me bringing mine there if anywhere near Crawley.
Knowing my luck he'll be in Chichester. 😞

On 6/12/2020 at 5:21 PM, The-Acre said:

100k or 10 years, but under my bonnet is the manufacturers label saying 100k kilometres.  So is that confusing or what!

over time we now understand it's 10 years / 100k miles

earlier stuff said 100kms .......  62k miles but even earlier gave no time for a change as the first Ls400s had a Kevlar timing belt .....  just about indestructible :thumbsup:

Malc

46 minutes ago, Malc said:

over time we now understand it's 10 years / 100k miles

earlier stuff said 100kms .......  62k miles but even earlier gave no time for a change as the first Ls400s had a Kevlar timing belt .....  just about indestructible :thumbsup:

Malc

One of the things I've been constantly warned about is the water pump which I'm told is more likely to fail than a belt, but in turn taking the belt out with it.

2 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

Where in West Sussex Phil?
Since I work in Crawley (not for the last few months obviously) it may be worth me bringing mine there if anywhere near Crawley.
Knowing my luck he'll be in Chichester. 😞

Hi George, it's between Worthing and Littlehampton just off the A 259 so sadly not that close to Crawley.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

There is always the guys in Brighton who are always recommend in Grove Road Brighton I think they are call Grove motors.

Yes, Grove Garage, although they may charge a bit more.  Mike, you'll remember the access down the mews to Grove, well they've moved to bigger premises in Brighton but the access and lack of parking make it a little more tricky than some, but at least they're in one building now instead of various mews buildings!

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

Yes, Grove Garage, although they may charge a bit more.  Mike, you'll remember the access down the mews to Grove, well they've moved to bigger premises in Brighton but the access and lack of parking make it a little more tricky than some, but at least they're in one building now instead of various mews buildings!

Yes I remember my visit there quite well, Nice helpful people no dramas, that was a few years ago when they were in the old place.

• Like 1