Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone found a decent way to refurb the chromed plastic on S2 GS450h rims.

ce02bd6c627572b4dcc5738ef7e0c0d8.jpg

I’m in the process of carefully removing them from the wheels which isn’t easy. Lexus already managed to snap a bit off the alloy when they rattle canned them last time.

If all fails I’ll rattle can them myself but would prefer to get them done properly. I’d replace them but not at minimum £25+VAT per trim with 20 required for the car!

I’ve phoned a few places and no-one seems to be willing to do them.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Depends on what shape they’re in, but personally I had good results with Autosol metal polish. Once removed they are much easier to clean and mine looked great after not much effort when I gave my wheels a thorough clean last summer.

335cdd43a42fbf86379a922a9334a811.jpg

2490802a58e64be1f68b15245d7c6268.jpg

That said, the longer I own my GS450H (coming up on three years now) the more the fiddly wheels annoy me, they’re a real pain to keep clean with all the nooks and crannies.

• Like 1

I soaked my spokes in metholatedspirits  in an icecream tub after removing them from the wheels. This removed "with the aid of some rag" the original hazy lacquer. I then coated them again with top coat clear lacquer.

John. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Lexus sprayed them with silver paint from a rattle can when they ‘refurbed’ them before I bought it so I’m not holding out much hope that they’ll be salvageable.

I’ve got some autosol and wire wool so I’ll give that a bash. And see what happens but I suspect I’ll be needing to repaint them one way or another.

Got the trims off the rear wheels and the fronts are soaking in penetrant spray overnight before I try to get them out.

I’m going to drill out the holes so they have a better chance of coming out in future. Not that I’ll be planning to take them off much.

Whoever came up with the design needs to get in the sea.

2 hours ago, grantwils said:

Thanks guys. Lexus sprayed them with silver paint from a rattle can when they ‘refurbed’ them before I bought it so I’m not holding out much hope that they’ll be salvageable.

I’ve got some autosol and wire wool so I’ll give that a bash. And see what happens but I suspect I’ll be needing to repaint them one way or another.

Got the trims off the rear wheels and the fronts are soaking in penetrant spray overnight before I try to get them out.

I’m going to drill out the holes so they have a better chance of coming out in future. Not that I’ll be planning to take them off much.

Whoever came up with the design needs to get in the sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grant. Do not use anything abrasive like wire wool. The spokes are made of black plastic with a thin metallic chrome on the outside surface. If scratched this chrome can peel off leaving a dull black surface. Wiping them with cellulose thinners will remove the paint without damaging the chrome, but do not soak them in thinners as this may melt the plastic.
A soak in meths may remove the paint so it is worth trying I know from experience it removes the lacquer, and does not damage the chrome or the plastic.

John.

Grant. Do not use anything abrasive like wire wool. The spokes are made of black plastic with a thin metallic chrome on the outside surface. If scratched this chrome can peel off leaving a dull black surface. Wiping them with cellulose thinners will remove the paint without damaging the chrome, but do not soak them in thinners as this may melt the plastic.
A soak in meths may remove the paint so it is worth trying I know from experience it removes the lacquer, and does not damage the chrome or the plastic.
John.

Thanks John.

Will white spirit do the same job or does it need to be meths or cellulose thinners? I’ve only got white spirit in the garage so will need to venture out if that won’t work.

3 minutes ago, grantwils said:

Thanks John.

Will white spirit do the same job or does it need to be meths or cellulose thinners? I’ve only got white spirit in the garage so will need to venture out if that won’t work.

You can try white spirit it will do no harm. Cellulose thinners is ok if you just use it to wipe the surfaces, but do not use it for soaking as it may desolve the plastic. Petrol may work, but keep checking it is not softening the plastic. Surgical spirit will work in the same way as meths. The chrome is real chrome so once the paint or lacquer has been removed you can polish them with Tcut or Brasso before re coating with lacquer. 

John. 

• Like 1

You can try white spirit it will do no harm. Cellulose thinners is ok if you just use it to wipe the surfaces, but do not use it for soaking as it may desolve the plastic. Petrol may work, but keep checking it is not softening the plastic. Surgical spirit will work in the same way as meths. The chrome is real chrome so once the paint or lacquer has been removed you can polish them with Tcut or Brasso before re coating with lacquer. 
John. 

Thanks. You’ve got me wondering if it’s real chrome would that mean that a normal Metal chromer could re-chrome them despite them being plastic.

I might take one to the place doing the wheels and ask them to try to re-chrome got it to see if it works.

22 minutes ago, grantwils said:

Thanks. You’ve got me wondering if it’s real chrome would that mean that a normal Metal chromer could re-chrome them despite them being plastic.

I might take one to the place doing the wheels and ask them to try to re-chrome got it to see if it works.

Special equipment is required for chroming plastic as it does not conduct electricity. I think you need to rely clean your spokes before going further.
My spokes were very bad but after doing the above procedure they came out looking new.
See my post on refurbing my wheels. To see the results scroll down to the last post.

Wheel refurb

John.

• Like 1

Special equipment is needed to metalise plastic but if it’s already metalised it should chrome just like metal. Problem is if their prep would involve removing the metalising then it’s back to needing to metalise it first.

I’ll give them a scrub/rub and see how they come up. The wheels, minus trims, are booked in for a full refurb at the end of the month.

If you are going to spray the alloy wheels, remember to apply etch primer on bare aluminium. Then you can use normal acrylic primer on top and on the rest of the wheel.

Chris.

If you are going to spray the alloy wheels, remember to apply etch primer on bare aluminium. Then you can use normal acrylic primer on top and on the rest of the wheel.
Chris.

They’re getting a proper refurb. It’s just the plastic trims which are the issue.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links