Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New to Lexus from Mazda Rx7 land

Xerxes

Hi All,

I'm moving on from the Mazda Rx-7 (1st and 3rd Gen) land and now looking forward to purchasing an SC430. Ideally one that is face-lifted but its all about condition and maintenance record so i'm flexible.

This looked like the best place to start so i look forward to finding a beauty here!

Cheers,

Xerxes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

Welcome Xerxes!

Love to see some pics of your Mazdas. 

No problem, Here is my 1982 1st Gen RX7 Elford Turbo version. Clsssic 80's gold/brown colour,
The black one was my first 3rd Gen RX7 i got in 2005. 

FB_RX7_3_LI.jpg

FB_RX7_2_LI.jpg

FB_RX7_LI.jpg

my_rx7_1.jpg

• Like 4

Hello Xerxes and welcome to the LOC.

Must admit I do like the RX7 but the engine problems and road tax put me off ownership, apparently it’s common to transplant the Lexus LS400 V8 engines in them.

We’ve had a few SC430s coming up recently and again I can see the attraction.

6 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Hello Xerxes and welcome to the LOC.

Must admit I do like the RX7 but the engine problems and road tax put me off ownership, apparently it’s common to transplant the Lexus LS400 V8 engines in them.

We’ve had a few SC430s coming up recently and again I can see the attraction.

Hi Steve,

Engine rebuild? Rx7? No idea what you talking about 😁 💰💰💰

60k miles was a general rule of thumb for a stock engine before a rebuild but it varied a lot depending on who rebuilt the engine and the maintenance. Once you start increasing the turbo size and port the engine, there is no real guide. I just know that i virtually towed a Shell petrol tanker as she used to drink fuel for fun. 

Seen people do LS V8 engine swaps on the RX7 and they looked impressive in a straight line. Not sure the handling balance was quite there!

Tax was quite cheap for me. Mine was registered as a 1.3L engine!

51 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

No problem, Here is my 1982 1st Gen RX7 Elford Turbo version. Clsssic 80's gold/brown colour,
The black one was my first 3rd Gen RX7 i got in 2005. 

FB_RX7_3_LI.jpg

FB_RX7_2_LI.jpg

FB_RX7_LI.jpg

my_rx7_1.jpg

I used to have one when they first came out W reg and it was one of 25 sorted by TWR Tom Walkinshaw Racing, in black and gold. 

The car was great certainly not anywhere near super car speed but the one thing I hated more than anything else was being stared 

at every where you went. I gave it to the wife and she loved the car hated the attention she got.

11 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

I used to have one when they first came out W reg and it was one of 25 sorted by TWR Tom Walkinshaw Racing, in black and gold. 

The car was great certainly not anywhere near super car speed but the one thing I hated more than anything else was being stared 

at every where you went. I gave it to the wife and she loved the car hated the attention she got.

TWR ones are gorgeous rarer than hens teeth!! I got the Elford Turbo one as i wouldn't let the wife drive the black one. Only because she views kerbs as part of the road when parking and no one was fixing chrome wheels. She loved the gold car, even the manual choke. The only thing she did not like was the lack of power steering. I imagine the gold one was a bit of a riot in 1982, with 180bhp. I felt the steering was so communicative i often preferred it to my black Rx7.

3 hours ago, Xerxes said:

TWR ones are gorgeous rarer than hens teeth!! I got the Elford Turbo one as i wouldn't let the wife drive the black one. Only because she views kerbs as part of the road when parking and no one was fixing chrome wheels. She loved the gold car, even the manual choke. The only thing she did not like was the lack of power steering. I imagine the gold one was a bit of a riot in 1982, with 180bhp. I felt the steering was so communicative i often preferred it to my black Rx7.

Its a shame I have no pictures of the beast but then taking pictures was not as easy as it is today.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and welcome, I was once the proud owner of this Bathurst X, and of course spent a fortune with Chris and Geoff down at RE-Worx. Loved the car but after a few track days at Castle Coombe decided it needed a V-Mount next, but I'd had it a year and someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I sold it.

vcm_s_kf_repr_640x425.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links