Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2021 Lexus IS

Looks like a bit of a quick cobbled together reskin - IMHO it has lost the strong crease lines and good looks that attracted me in the first place to the IS 300h (coming from BMWs) and now it looks a bit dumpy / dowdy - seems more of a step back in design that forward. As you say, Lexus Europe for its own inexplicable reasoning has taken away any chance to even consider one in the UK - but if we did have it in the UK not sure whether I would be looking to upgrade my current 2014 IS 300h for what this would offer over and above what I have - maybe that was the reaction of Lexus Europe when they saw it...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Looks like a bit of a quick cobbled together reskin - IMHO it has lost the strong crease lines and good looks that attracted me in the first place to the IS 300h (coming from BMWs) and now it looks a bit dumpy / dowdy - seems more of a step back in design that forward. As you say, Lexus Europe for its own inexplicable reasoning has taken away any chance to even consider one in the UK - but if we did have it in the UK not sure whether I would be looking to upgrade my current 2014 IS 300h for what this would offer over and above what I have - maybe that was the reaction of Lexus Europe when they saw it...

What I was thinking tbh.....I remember when the 3rd gen IS came out loved everything about it and even the 2Gen IS and I thought Lexus could of done better really on this refresh / facelift, shame really and I think they could of really done better with the exhuast even if it is 'fake' tips like the non hybrid ES and GS, no creativity gone in at all with that !!! Just hope if a true replacement 4Gen IS if it happens they reconsider and bring it here just hope this is somewhat a stop gap before it happen if it does. And on another matter it looks like there still isn't an electric folding mirror option for the US model LOL

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PCM said:

80's Mondeo with a bodykit. 

That's a harsh comment.. The is still strong elements of the current gen IS with sligt tweeks, btw mondeo wasn't releaed until 1992..  and Ford;s neevr looked good at all except for the Capri. Also Mondeo didn;t do it high waste line until 2007, way after BMW and Lexus started doing it in 5 series, LS  and 2nd gen IS.

It is a bit harsh, I agree.

That's what popped into mind though...

( Loved my Mondeo back in the day. )

Not big fan of the interior but I actually quite like the exterior design. Did they change anything inside?! Current IS headlights are to small IMO, this one looks decent and I like the rear of the car.

Will I be the only one who likes it? 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayw13702 said:

Those bloody cup holders!!

I know it may seem like a small point but I’ve lost count how many people complain about the location of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theyve been brought forward like in the RC

If you look at the touchpad, the most forward cupholder is in line with it. In our 3rd generation cars, its a lot further back which means our elbows go into it when sitting in the passenger seat. So in that regard, I think Lexus have listened to the customer base and pushed them forward so the passenger can put their elbow on the armrest

• Like 1

I think it is a beautiful design and so much more natural, balanced than the previous one. I just love it and hats off to the designteam.A truly clean flowing design.

Such a shame it will not be available overhere. At first i thought that would be because of slow sales but now i noticed it will only be available with 3 engines and NO hybrid.

2.0t 4 with 241hp, 3.5 V6 with 260 or 311 hp. No mention of hybrid at all. As that would be the only version that could sell at reasonable numbers in Europe that could be the explanation.

That and if it would be availabe ES sales would be dead instantly.

45 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Such a shame it will not be available overhere. At first i thought that would be because of slow sales but now i noticed it will only be available with 3 engines and NO hybrid.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Maybe (hopefully) it's just limited engine options at launch.

It would absolutely blow my mind if Lexus went the other direction ditches hybrid altogether for the IS while competitors have soldiered on to PHEV in this segment.

On 6/16/2020 at 2:01 PM, dutchie01 said:

No mention of hybrid at all. As that would be the only version that could sell at reasonable numbers in Europe that could be the explanation.

That is because it was a US launch and they don't have the IS in hybrid form there.

There is a hybrid model for other markets.

• Like 1

I just wonder where that leave the Lexus RC Coupe if they carry on in it's current form or bring out a new one ? Since that is basically a coupe version of the IS, supposing a new RC happens if it does wonder if Lexus UK / Europe decide to take it or not...if not then bye bye Lexus, next gen GT86 it is ! Still no mention of a IS500 people kept on talking about

If the IS isn't viable makes you wonder why UK/Europe will bother with RC / LC / LS or anything else that isn't SUV or a token saloon (ES). The ES holds no interest for me whatsoever but I would have been looking to replace my existing IS 300h with the next generation IS (not a facelift which this one is) which I had assumed would probably be 2022. The IS size (being in the same category as BMW 3 series) was spot on for me - so now nowhere for a BMW 3 series driver to migrate into Lexus (like when I came to the IS from my 3 series). A real shame. I am sure they have their business reasons but are turning their back on a lot of customers. 

3 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

If the IS isn't viable makes you wonder why UK/Europe will bother with RC / LC / LS or anything else that isn't SUV or a token saloon (ES). The ES holds no interest for me whatsoever but I would have been looking to replace my existing IS 300h with the next generation IS (not a facelift which this one is) which I had assumed would probably be 2022. The IS size (being in the same category as BMW 3 series) was spot on for me - so now nowhere for a BMW 3 series driver to migrate into Lexus (like when I came to the IS from my 3 series). A real shame. I am sure they have their business reasons but are turning their back on a lot of customers. 

My thoughts exactly - it be real shame if Lexus did become a suv only brand in Europe - I for one don't want to resort to a 3 series or a C-class and Infiniti has folded in Europe so that's not an option, the ES is nice IMO but very limited engine selection to choose from, still this new 2021 IS is a facelift/refresh not a mk4 IS so maybe just maybe they bring the 'all new' mk4 IS to Europe if Toyota/Lexus don't kill it off in few years time. Also I thought the original mk1 IS was designed with Europe in mind for Europe to compete with BMW and was not even offered in the US till 2001 !! Since the mk2 IS they seemed to forgotten this and concentrated to appeal to the US market... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

That is because it was a US launch and they don't have the IS in hybrid form there.

There is a hybrid model for other markets.

The ES is available in Hybrid

I am not sure the IS does exist in hybrid form any longer. Anyone?

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

I can’t see them making two versions of the IS, the facelift for the US, Australia etc and the current version for the EU, so by that metric once existing stock of the current version is exhausted what does the UK receive then?

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

??

The ES wasn't mentioned. Yes it is available in the US but the IS hybrid isn't, so no surprise hybrid isn't available on the new one.

MY21 IS hybrid I believe will be available in Japan and Australia and possibly other countries too.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links