Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying IS250

Rod_Driveshaft

Hello all.

It is my first post so hopefully I am in the right place. I am considering IS250, petrol/auto - my budget is around 7k. Can I pick your brains about 2 points?

1. I am a paddle-shifter. In some reviews I’ve read and heard on youtube people say SR/F package spoils the comfort and quiet ride because the ride is too stiff. Some people here wrote it’s negligible. I can’t figure this out. Should I just look for IS-L?

2. Should I consider a 2006-7 model with around 20-30k on it or a 2010-11 model with 50-60k on it? I am leaning towards low mileage for mechanical reasons and because the leather and the interior look nicer. However, I’ve read also that after 2009 there is more room in the back (we have 2 kids) and improved driving experience.

Look forward to any advice given. Once again thanks for any help. Hope to join the tribe soon enough!

10 minutes ago, Rod_Driveshaft said:

Hello all.

It is my first post so hopefully I am in the right place. I am considering IS250, petrol/auto - my budget is around 7k. Can I pick your brains about 2 points?

1. I am a paddle-shifter. In some reviews I’ve read and heard on youtube people say SR/F package spoils the comfort and quiet ride because the ride is too stiff. Some people here wrote it’s negligible. I can’t figure this out. Should I just look for IS-L?

2. Should I consider a 2006-7 model with around 20-30k on it or a 2010-11 model with 50-60k on it? I am leaning towards low mileage for mechanical reasons and because the leather and the interior look nicer. However, I’ve read also that after 2009 there is more room in the back (we have 2 kids) and improved driving experience.

Look forward to any advice given. Once again thanks for any help. Hope to join the tribe soon enough!

Hi Rod, and welcome.

Have you seen this in cars for sale section below all of the Forums section?

IS 250 SE-L COMING V SOON

I don’t think the SR had a different suspension set up to the S SE and SE-L models. It was just a base model with the GFX body kit, so it should ride the same. I have never tried an F-Sport 2IS but had both a 2007 and a 2011 SE-L. In my opinion, the ride in the 2007 was marginally better than the 2011, most likely due to the smaller standard 17 inch wheels. I also found the steering to be heavier in the earlier car, which I preferred. 

Personally I found the leather to be of better quality in the 2011 car. The extra rear leg room was due to a change of the front seat back pocket design. The earlier cars had a ridge pocket that could be pulled forward, where as the later models had a material based version. Again the gain in leg room is minimal. If your kids are young enough to still be in car seats with an iso fix base , then we found the Maxi Cosi range to be a very tight fit. I had to move my seat forward in to a compromised driving  position and I’m only 5ft7. 

Good luck with your search. Both cars were absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 1

Hello Eugene and welcome to the LOC.

I’ve only ever driven an IS250c once so can’t really comment apart from saying it was very nice with the roof down in July a few years ago.

There is always plenty of help and advice on the LOC, feel free to post links for any potential purchases for input from other members.

If you don't know much about the 250 it would be worth taking a read through this. Forewarned is forearmed.

I think they're super cars, but, I'll admit I am a bit biased.

Rod, beware the Warranty options with both Organsations !

Prestige state that they have a range of warranties,but do not state a cost.

DRH  state likewise and refer to a cost.

The buyer (you) can refer to your Statutory Warranty for the first 6  months of ownership, whereby the Seller is deemed to be responsible for repairing at his cost should non-trivial matters occur.

Do not fall into the trap of paying for any warranty.The Seller not the Buyer is responsible.

We shall watch your progress with interest.

Out of the 2 I feel the top link is better apart from one previous owner squeezing another 6000 miles out of MOT advisory tyres ( could have been a company car as lease companies tend to take them right to the limit). Mileage on MOTs is consistent so a plus point. Obviously check out the service history.

Lower link TBH has  very tired looking interior, both front seats have bolster wear but probably never been cleaned or treated. MOT again shows tyre problems although looks like a fitting problem. No mention of service history.

Thanks again guys. Good points there Steve, grateful for your input. 

Holy crap - I called both dealers and the first car already has someone looking at it today and the blue one is gone. I did not realise IS cars are that popular. While I deliberated, others acted! I lost out on 2 cars - lesson learned. 

Tomorrow I am going to see this one - reading Norm's buying guide and other posts from members. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006039777190

The car had sparks changed and some filters from the photos of service the owner sent me. Do you think the price is good or do you think I can offer him 6900 without offending the buyer?

Cheers!

• Like 1

The difference in both condition and presentation from the 2 “dealer” offerings you have missed is amazing.

Both of these are very clean indicating the present owners have made an effort and you only have to look at the seat bolsters to see they have been respected in the past.

I personally wouldn’t be offended on an offer of £6900.00 on the asking price, be interesting how much the extra warranty is or whether the seller can get a refund ( good haggle point there).

The 2011 one has failed one MOT on wiper blades, mileage around 5k a year and never had an advisory....all good

The 2009 one has failed a few times on tyres, the last one had an advisory for a nail in the tyre which was still there on the retest, Makes me wonder if it’s still there now....if it is I would walk away ....if the owner can’t get a puncture repair done or the tyre replaced what else has been scrimped on?

Further reading material here, everything (almost ) you wanted to know about the IS250....

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/lexus/is-2005/

And yes, good IS's don't tend to hang around for long as people find out how good they are and how much kit your are getting for your money.

Thanks all - I really appreciated your collective wisdom and advise and the guides. I did it - bought the 2011 Lexus IS Advance in the end over the SR (it still had the nail in the tyre after last year's MOT). The Advance has everything I wanted except for the paddle shifters but it wasn't a deal breaker. The car has 50k on it, but last year the previous owner paid 500 pounds for service that included change of spark plugs, oil change (synthetic 5/30 Longlife 3), new filters (air and pollen), new Battery (Bosch with 4 year warranty), and break fluid change. And 2 years ago he spent 300 pounds to purchase GardX treatment for the car's interior and exterior to protect the paint and leather. So I figured with service done and the protection kit, its not a bad deal. I hope I made the right choice. 

It was so much fun driving it home - quiet, refined, comfortable and the V6 has such smooth torque delivery. I don't think we will go back to German cars after this. 

Now I am purchasing rubber floor mats, a rubber trunk mat, car seat protectors, and car seat kick mats - I need to preserve this car!

Cheers all!

IMG-20200626-WA0001.jpg

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links