Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Amazon Echo Auto

Mincey

I'm just trying to work out if this is going to solve/help all the infotainment woes (no apple Car Play/Android whateveritis) which us Lexus types have?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/echo-auto-add-alexa-to-your-car/dp/B078YP59TT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=alexa+car&qid=1592405337&sr=8-3

• Like 1

Intriguing link James but I'm struggling to get my head around this particular device. It seem to be an amazon gadget too far, introducing something in between your phone and your car head unit. That also needs to be permanently plugged in by wire to a power output :ohmy:

I see where you're coming from Rich - I don't know if I need one. Calling out "Alexa - next!" or "Alexa, play Gilbert O'Sullivan from my playlist" (I didn't let that slip out, did I?) might be easier than using the "mouse" whilst making progress to change tracks perhaps? Each Christmas at work we're given a choice of companies to receive a £30 pound voucher from. I always choose amazon and for various reasons my vouchers from last year are still approximately 163 miles away from me. I have asked for them to be couriered here this week as I feel I need to take one for my fellow Lexus owning chums. Yes, I'll stump up an extra £20 and buy one of these Devil's Devices and let you know how I get on. Someone has to discover how life with an on-board Alexa is, and dammit - it might as well be me! 

But you don't need the mouse do you? Surely if you have an Android or apple device then voice control is already there? Google or Siri. And you can even download an Alexa app if that's your thing. Seems an odd item for amazon to try and sell.

Good point! I've not used voice control on the phone for some reason. I may have a trip to Cambridge planned today so I'll give it a go. If Google can control Spotify then sorry Alexa...

If you do use an Android phone then you can also get the standalone Android Auto app which offers a simplified view and (I think) voice control. If you're in the habit of keeping your phone on charge in the car you can also have it so the screen stays on while you're driving.