Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Smoke... but coming from the bonnet.

andy1275

Hi all

I have a problem with smoke coming from under the bonnet when stationary, not all the time but quite occasionally.

Since owning the car from febuary i've had poor mpg and the usual smoke from the exhaust so cleaned the EGR (twice) and have driven it over some long runs to try and clear out the carbon deposits. After doing the first trip i pulled into maccys to get my lad a happy meal, and whilst at window 2 the bonnet smoked like a female dog and it started to come in through the air vents and smelt strongly of diesel!!! Found the culprit to be a leaking fuel line from the common rail so changed it and the fuel stopped leaking and the smoking stopped... for a bit.

Then at the lights one day i started to notice smoke coming up from the scuttle panel, i pulled over and raised the bonnet and the smoke stopped and some washer fluid dripped from the bonnet so thought it may be that burning in the engine bay and just a querk of the car. Then i noticed it happening when i hadn't used the screenwash so thought it may be the heater as it comes from that area, but it happens even when i haven't used the heater either?!?! I keep checking for leaks but can't find any and my coolant level and oil are all fine.

It is coming from this area under the heater(?) next to the drivers side bonnet strut, anybody have any idea where the smoke/steam may be coming from?

sketch-1592402261240.thumb.png.7e037b174d49b884a9a1d06bdb8cec49.png

TIA  Andy

• 2 months later...

Hi all, little update...

Still not solved this problem but have some more information if that could lead to getting some help.

The steam is not just coming out of where the photo is circled above, it is also coming out from a bit further over on the right towards the middle of the bulkhead. It is quite visible at stationary. The car has developed a damp smell inside the cabin and the windscreen is prone to misting over. Once I put the A/C on the air is cold that comes out of the vents and it clears the screen almost instantly. The steam also stops from under the bonnet... 🤔 Idle speed is 1200rpm with the heater on, 1k rpm normal and 800rpm with A/C on. I'm not losing fluid or oil from my coolant, car is running fine apart from the usual smoke from the exhaust when it's 1/4 way warmed up.

Anybody able to help? Is this to do with my A/C unit/filters? any pipes to look at?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links