Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yet another electrical question

I am wondering if any of you clever chaps might know the answer to this one please.

My wife has an old Singer sewing machine which kicks in immediately it is switched on at the wall socket.  There is a foot pedal which controls the power and speed of the machine but this appears to not be working properly and is completely by-passed by the mains power.

Does anyone know if the footpedal parts might be replaceable?

Many thanks

I have been looking on the internet and have found a number of 'solutions' one of them being to simply remove the capacitor.  A number of people have done this and it has been successful and everything is working fine.

Any thoughts on this?  What does the capacitor actually do?  if it is safe to remove it, is it a simple case of snipping through the connections?

Thank you for the links folks but neither of them seem to be remotely similar to what I have.

EDIT:  I have attached an image of the pedal, hopefully you can see it OK.

Sewing Machine pedal.jpg

Without going into the technical reasons it will still work without it but not recommended, you may find you have to turn the motor pulley to get it to spin.

If you can take a picture of the capacitor or post the information on it I may have one knocking about which I’m happy to send to you.

Hi Steve, thanks for your help.

I have snipped off what I think is the capacitor, i.e. the cylindrical thingy across the connectors in my post above.

This is what is written on it......

HUNTS  Cap 0-1uF    250v  A.C Wkg  M.P  WA71  ITH  The approximate size of the unit is 26mm long by 10mm dia.

Is there any way that I can test this now that it is disconnected from the pedal?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links