Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My FM reception is woeful. Hardly works and goes completely when switching on the rear window demister.
I've resorted to using a blutooth device which links to my phone and listening to TuneIn Radio. To be fair, it works well but I do have to open the app each time I get in the car.

I was thinking that rather than try to repair the rear element or replace the rear windscreen I could use an external FM Aerial and mount it somewhere discreet.

Does anyone know what the connector looks like on the back of the Mark Levinson nav unit on a 2008 SE-L

Would this fit (before I start dismantling things only to find it doesn't fit)?

aerial1.jpg

I've tried glass cleaner. I've also gone right back to soapy water for a proper wash and finishing with glass cleaner.

Its difficult to identify breaks on the element, it seems there are loads of breaks but they look designed that way, the edges are too sharp for it to be through wear.

I might have to just drag the head unit out to see if this aerial connector will fit the back of the unit. I've looked at the Grom VLine install posts but can't see a clear picture of it.

Hi Chris,

I have just checked on the rear of a ML headunit removed from my 2006 SE-L and yes the ariel connection socket will take the standard ariel fitting  -  i double checked by fitting an old aerial which I had lying around.

Before going down this route you might check that the aerial cable from the rear is correctly connected. There appears to be a junction point in or around the gear lever area which would be worth checking. Additionally, there is an aerial amplifier fitted at the screen which may have gone on the blink.

ANTENNA LEXUS LEXUS IS250/350/2##D[ALE20,GSE2#] (EUROPE)

862537.png
  Part code Title information
  86101 CORD SUB-ASSY, ANTENNA  

86101J CORD SUB-ASSY, ANTENNA, NO.2  

86300B ANTENNA ASSY, AMPLIFIER, NO.1  

90119-06915 ** Std Part  

90179-06274 NUT (FOR TRANSMISSION CONTROL CABLE)  

Hope this helps.

Dec.
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, thats good to know.
I did think there was an amp up there somewhere but I couldn't find it by pulling out the rear cabin light out and pulling on the headlining.

I'm too scared to pull the headlining any further as it looks like it will crease easily.

Herbies post shows quite well the breaks I am seeing, I can now look at the right part of the element.

Well I did it and can confirm it works. 

The difference in mine is vast, i pick up a lot more stations but I didn't think too much about siting the aerial, I just stuffed it up above the cluster. 

For the first time ever I can turn on the rear window demister  without losing the radio reception.

Those top vents, holy moly that was a swine, I knew what I had to do but it was trying my patience. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chr15gb said:

Well I did it and can confirm it works.

So what exactly was it you ‘did’?

did you fit an after market aerial? If so what kind prey tell and how? And could you have fitted it into the connection point at the centre console area?

I fitted an aftermarket aerial, the same as this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174224912722

I'm not in any way recommending that one, mine was less than 2 quid but looks identical. I only got it to check the connector would fit although Beamish confirmed it above.

Looking from the front of the head unit, the connector is at the bottom left corner of the head unit. I ended up disconnecting everything to give me enough room to see the connections, would have saved some time if I knew in advance where it was.

I don't know what connection you refer to in the centre console, mine only has an aux in and a usb,  nothing you could fit that connector to.

I may look at removing the glove box and see if it can drag it across and up to the pillar to get it in the open as opposed to under the dash. It does have a 3m backing  to stick to the windscreen. 

I was referring to the junction or connection that Beamish was noting in the centre console area in diagram.

glovebox comes out real easy and the left panel by door when removed gets access to bottom of A pillar trim for running cable to roof area.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links