Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ML Speaker issue!! :-(

Hi all,

My IS has the Mark Levinson system in it, which sounded awesome until...........

Has anybody actually blown the speakers in their ML system?

If not I think I may claim the be the first!!!

One of the rear shelf speakers sounds decidedly 'farty' at low volume. I think at higher volume it goes simply because its loud and over powers the 'fart'!!

Has anyone got any tips on removal of said rear shelf speakers so I can have a good look and if replacement is needed are there decent 'off the shelf' alternatives that I can fit to get that deep sub sound??

Thanks in advance, Lee

There are apparently 4 speakers mounted on the rear parcel shelf one of which is the sub woofer (No. 7 ). On earlier models this speaker has been known to fail due to the cone becoming detached from the speaker framework. Normal access is gained by removing the rear seats and top shelf cover.

Sorry no idea on size of the speakers but generic replacements are generally available, the 2 important factors are size and impedance.

BFD82313-E7BA-4179-A69F-CAD7986FDF8E.png

• Like 1

Nice one 👍

Thanks for the feedback.  I have a 2015 model so probably ticks the earlier box. It is getting progressively worse so the cone does sound like the main suspect huh. I do drive the system quite hard.😉

Looks like I have a job to do now then.

I'll post my findings when I get around to removal.

run your finger under the seat base and about 200mm in from the edge you will

find a loop put you hands either side of it and sharply pull upwards do the same

on the other side the seat base will now come out

at the bottom of the side bolster there is a bolt remove this then slide the bolster up and

it will unclip do the same for the other side you can then start to unclip the shelf cover

so its not a hard job to do.

• Thanks 1

Well, out of curiosity I decided to contact Lexus to see if it may be covered by my extended warranty. 

They will charge £189 for a diagnosis. If it is a warranty covered item then all costs of replacement and diagnosis will be covered. If it isn't they will put 50% of the diagnosis cost toward the full cost of replacement. After a bit of thought I'm thinking that if it is replaced it will be like for like and potentially suffer the same long term fate... so I think I've decided that I will put the £189 towards a proper decent branded sub and just do it myself for peace of mind... it's not like I don't know my way around a car... I've built my own hotrod, had 20 previous years in the motor trade and I'm now research/electronics  engineer for an ultra precision super hard materials grinding company... it'll be a walk in the park!!

Hardest bit is making that choice of what to actually buy to fill the hole 😁

Thanks for all of the replies people 👍

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links