Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service advice please rx300 2004

Spudd

I have managed to get my £200 bargain up and running for a mere £130. Have covered a good few miles but have no service history. Auto transmission would I be ok with sump dump new filter and dump again after 500 miles or so. Cambelt would like to change as matter of course do I change water pump and crank pulley. Engine oil and filter, flush cooling and refill with I assume oat anti freeze. Any advice on what else to do and lubricant recommendations etc would be much appreciated.

Neil. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Spudd said:

I have managed to get my £200 bargain up and running for a mere £130. Have covered a good few miles but have no service history. Auto transmission would I be ok with sump dump new filter and dump again after 500 miles or so. Cambelt would like to change as matter of course do I change water pump and crank pulley. Engine oil and filter, flush cooling and refill with I assume oat anti freeze. Any advice on what else to do and lubricant recommendations etc would be much appreciated.

Neil. 

Grease the rear calliper pins?

Cabin pollen filter?

Any pictures?!

41 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Tell us more....£200.00 to buy it in kit form?

What was the problem with it that cost £130.00 to sort.

No I pulled all the dash etc apart because no electrics were working. The previous owner was trying to fit air horns and drilled through the main wiring loom. He removed wipers and scuttle panel to solder wires but car would not start. He replaced the ecu as a garage informed him he probably fried original.The scuttle was left off for months until they were fed up with trying to fix it. They contacted a scrappy who offered them £150 I upped it to £200 and got the car. I found the fault was the ecu  and bought a replacement from eBay for £130. it was complete steering column. ignition and key, ecu and the immobiliser module. Once fitted the car started first turn of the key. Most of the dash didn't light up, windows would not go down, tailgate didn't open no central locking the only thing that worked inside the car was the radio. So out came most of dash and I cleaned every connection and earth points as there  had been a lot of water ingress  where scuttle was left off. Everything back together and all of it works as it should. It also came with a new set of discs pads and callipers. I was also given a new pair wishbones with bushes and ball joints, oh and it also had a full tank of petrol. Oh I did break the roof aerial at the car was and had to spend £12.95 on a new one.

• Like 1

I have changed cambelt twice on mine but haven't changed the water pump I have used Gates kits from America which come with a water pump but there was no freeplay in the original so didn't change it If I had gone for the more expensive aisin kit I would probably have changed water pump as well because they are oem. The gates water pumps have plastic impellers where as the original is metal.There is a real good video on you tube regarding changing the transmission fluid if you do change it buy original Toyota or a quality Aisin warner fluid not dextron it has to be aisin warner. If when you change the fluid the pipe for the transmission cooler looks really rusty I have one that's not in bad nick you can have for postage,I changed it out thinking it was worse than it was. If you use Rock Auto you will need to cross check part numbers because for our model they only list RX330 which is fine for the cambelt kit and some other parts but not for eu specific parts.

hth  

Richard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only reason most people replace the water pump at the same time as the timing belt is not because of wear or leakage, but rather because of its location and the fact that the belt has to come off to do it.

If, for example it's going to cost £300 to replace the belt, doing the water pump at the same time would add maybe £40-£50 to the job. However, if it's done at a different time then you'll get another big bill because all of the labour that was carried out to replace the belt will have to be done again to replace the pump.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spudd said:

No I pulled all the dash etc apart because no electrics were working. The previous owner was trying to fit air horns and drilled through the main wiring loom. He removed wipers and scuttle panel to solder wires but car would not start. He replaced the ecu as a garage informed him he probably fried original.The scuttle was left off for months until they were fed up with trying to fix it. They contacted a scrappy who offered them £150 I upped it to £200 and got the car. I found the fault was the ecu  and bought a replacement from ebay for £130. it was complete steering column. ignition and key, ecu and the immobiliser module. Once fitted the car started first turn of the key. Most of the dash didn't light up, windows would not go down, tailgate didn't open no central locking the only thing that worked inside the car was the radio. So out came most of dash and I cleaned every connection and earth points as there  had been a lot of water ingress  where scuttle was left off. Everything back together and all of it works as it should. It also came with a new set of discs pads and callipers. I was also given a new pair wishbones with bushes and ball joints, oh and it also had a full tank of petrol. Oh I did break the roof aerial at the car was and had to spend £12.95 on a new one.

Now you have explained this I remember the thread you did on it, great way to get yourself a decent motor I love “projects.”

• Like 1