Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

I’m thinking of dobbing in my b8 rs4 for an isf.  The rs4 looks great, big boot, a lovely interior but it has a crashy ride even  in comfort and dynamic is way too firm for British roads. It’s also quite boring to drive unless you drive it like a complete berk.

im looking for something that’s got a bit of a spark to it, and I’ve recently started hearing that the isf is an almost forgotten gem.

Has anyone else had both?

I haven't had an RS4 but I have heard that they aren't particularly exciting to drive, which seems to apply to all Audi's that aren't RS2s or R8s. The ISF definitely has a bit of spark to it. I'd imagine it is a lot more fun to drive than an RS4. Rear wheel drive, more power, etc. I find the ISF a ton of fun on a greasy day. Relatively easy to manage the power as it's very progressive and there isn't too much torque down low.

In all honesty I believe the ISF would be way more fun than the RS4 and faster for sure (Unless in the rain).

In terms of comfort I do not believe you will see a big improvement as the ISF is a bit harsh standard (Also depending on which year you get)

Also I believe the ISF in general would feel like a much smaller car.

Hello.

I have no experience of an rs4 however, a 2018 rs3 and 2008 isf if that helps.

Over the 5/6 year span of the isf production I believe that the car received 3 facelifts/upgrades and during one of them the car received a different suspension set up. As much as the isf stands as the most fun car I have ever owned to date, it was a crashy ride and in fact, if you read some of the reviews from the car magazines it really does appear to be the main point. My isf was by far more crashier than the rs3, in fact I didn't think that the rs3 was crashy whatsover, so hopefully that puts it into perspective for you. Now for comfort, the isf seats are fantastic, solely on comfort they leave both, my gsf seats standing all day long and the rs3.

If I remember correctly, on my 2008, there was no difference in comfort between sport and normal, in fact, I stopped using sport.

Reference the exciting element of the isf, fantastic, the NA engine is full of torque, pulls you in like a supercharged xkr. I have to be honest, the isf feels not only faster both, 0-60 and also beyond, but also feels that it has more torque than my gsf.

The isf engine is fantastic, it rumbles lovely and the bonnet shakes when you rev it at standstill! Little things!

Based upon your original post I think that you would be best advised to take an isf out for a test drive and draw your own conclusions.

Hi all,

thanks for the comments.  I drove the Swindon 13 plate ISF a wee while back and after a great deal of soul searching decided to change our 15 plate rs4 for it. 

i got a 3 year warranty (1 year plus 2 year extended thrown in)  out of Swindon but I hope it won’t be needed on a Lexus with a “mere” 68k miles, it felt smooth and good.

(Not all that loud, curiously, but I think it hadn’t been driven for ages, and seemed louder at the end of the test drive than at the beginning I think.)

I had it for over 2 hours and stopped a few times  to look at it from across the street.  ISF in silver looked much better in the flesh than in In the autotrader pics.

RS4 has 444bhp so there isn’t much in it performance wise.  Except in the wet, as someone rightly pointed out. 🙂

I do think the rs4 b8 looks excellent In white but I just didn’t think it drove very well.  Numb.  Fast as hell, don’t get me wrong, but speed on its own doesn’t equal fun.

The 2013 ISF rides wayyyyyy better than my (DRC equipped - ugh) 2015 RS4  and is more fun, especially once i got on the paddles in manual at 3500rpm onward.  Actually feels like you’re driving a real car.

Practicality was what I was really worried about.  Not being an estate the ISF wasn’t quite as roomy in the back or in the boot but I could still get two suitcases (I took two with me to Swindon) in the boot with room left over (Just) for our small (yoyo) pram.  The passenger side back seat took our rear facing car seat.  

In fact I took everything with me but my wife and son, who are abroad currently.  My wife normally rides in the back with the youngster (10 months) and she is pretty short so can fit behind me - I think.

Ah well, she’ll get used to it.

• Like 2

Congratulations. I’ve been keeping an eye on your ‘13 plate car for a while and it looks like a nice example. Late model with the comfiest suspension. 
How long did you have the RS4 for? 

Thanks F.A.

we bought the Audi July last year after a very complicated decision making process involving a new baby, a dieselphobic mother (dieselgate)  and a petrolhead father who didn’t want any of the SUVs he could afford.

We’ve lost a fair bit on the rs4 in 11 months, but when you’re not happy you’re not happy, and I wasn’t.  

I loved the 2/3 hours I spent in the ISF and I remember the moment I made the decision.  I had parked in some deserted industrial estate in Swindon and I was just standing looking at it from various angles from 20 yards away and it struck me:

”I love this thing”.

• Like 4

Nice one, that 13 plate in Swindon looked great, I too had my eye on it for a while like many others.

Glad you enjoy it. You are right about being happy with something, enjoy life, if you can afford it, go for it. 

For me the sign of a great car is one that you miss driving, you want to just go for a drive. I haven't had that for a while until I got the ISF.

• Like 1

Class leading interior and all weather performance were the stand out memories from the performance audi I owned.

I liked both cars a lot but theres something about the ISF thats just under my skin. Rareness and reliability also play a big factor.

• Like 1

I wanted an ISF ever since it came out. Back in 2011, I had the choice of purchasing a 9 month old 2011 IS250 SE-L or a 2008 ISF with 84000 miles on the clock for £4000 more. I went with my head and bought the IS250,  which was a good car and kept it for 8 years. Maybe I should have bought the ISF but It would have been more than a stretch and I was doing around 15000 miles a year at the time.  By the time we were in a financial situation to buy one, the GSF fell within reach.  I still look for them on AT along with any RCFs and GSFs on most days though 🙄 🤦🏽‍♂️.

Nearly 5 years in the ISF and now coming up to 5 in the RCF too. Before Lexus I used to change cars every 2 to 2.5 years, but the F cars really are keepers

On 6/22/2020 at 1:57 PM, Fair and square said:

Over the 5/6 year span of the isf production I believe that the car received 3 facelifts/upgrades and during one of them the car received a different suspension set up.

The ISF received suspension changes in MY11, MY12 and MY13.

Hi all,

thanks for all the replies.

I picked up the silver ISF Saturday and to be honest I can hardly remember the RS4.   I don’t miss it at all apart from the boot space, and to a degree the looks - it did look good in white - especially from the front, very aggressive. 

It was rare we really needed  the estate levels of space, but I guess we will just have to pack a bit smarter and use the front seat (wife normally goes in back with junior)    Swivelling car seat with Isofix  is fitted, which was a struggle but not because of space but because I’m an oaf and hadn’t read the isofix instructions.  

Got just under 33mpg on the way back from Swindon, I could scarcely believe it.  

Rather less than 33mpg when I’m off motorways though....    The excitement when the noise kicks in is pretty addictive and just knowing that 5 litre is there, lurking under the swollen hood is a rather special feeling.  

I fancy an exhaust - but I’m out of excess cash for the moment.  H&S with an x pipe anyone?

Do they make a big difference to insurance?

• Like 3

On 6/29/2020 at 10:27 PM, Arth_Vader said:

Hi all,

thanks for all the replies.

I picked up the silver ISF Saturday and to be honest I can hardly remember the RS4.   I don’t miss it at all apart from the boot space, and to a degree the looks - it did look good in white - especially from the front, very aggressive. 

It was rare we really needed  the estate levels of space, but I guess we will just have to pack a bit smarter and use the front seat (wife normally goes in back with junior)    Swivelling car seat with Isofix  is fitted, which was a struggle but not because of space but because I’m an oaf and hadn’t read the isofix instructions.  

Got just under 33mpg on the way back from Swindon, I could scarcely believe it.  

Rather less than 33mpg when I’m off motorways though....    The excitement when the noise kicks in is pretty addictive and just knowing that 5 litre is there, lurking under the swollen hood is a rather special feeling.  

I fancy an exhaust - but I’m out of excess cash for the moment.  H&S with an x pipe anyone?

Do they make a big difference to insurance?

Welcome to the fold mate! You won't leave in a hurry. Had my ISF for 3 and a bit years now and no plans to lose it any time soon. Great cars and plenty to mess around with if that's your thing (as you'll see, it is mine). 

I have to ferry the Mrs and our 18 month old pretty regularly and it does the job fine and at great speed. Best car I have owned by miles and I've tried 18 so far. 

The ride can be firm. Just get it on air and never look back 😎

IMG_20200509_202808_590.thumb.jpg.2339dcd516425c70be442ff59f58b85f.jpg

IMG_20200428_070020_437.thumb.jpg.4e7097e20722ee16d0d640210c0d2e37.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links